The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

What I find interesting about Sturridge's dive (which it was) is that Graeme Poll says that, under the letter of the law, not only was it not a dive but it was also a clear penalty!

We call it the 'three card allowance'.

Care to elaborate? From a rules/refereeing point of view how is Sturridge's dive a clear penalty all the same? Poll said it was because Vidic's slide was off the ball and therefore impeded Sturridge being through on goal.

I believe Sandy was referring to the incident where poll gave the same player three yellow cards in a World Cup games and so we should ignore him.

That being said his reasoning makes no sense lest we have players diving when they are a yard from a player because they were "impeding".

That's what I'm not sure about - Neville says that it was a clear penalty, despite there being no contact, as well. I don't know enough about the absolute letter of the law, but I believe it to have been a clear dive.

It was a funny game - the Sturridge penalty that was given, what should have been the Sturridge penalty that wasn't given, the Fellaini shove on Suarez that should have been a penalty, the Rafael handball that should have been a second yellow, the Rooney Superman leap over Skrtel...

Edited by PappyTron

What I find interesting about Sturridge's dive (which it was) is that Graeme Poll says that, under the letter of the law, not only was it not a dive but it was also a clear penalty!

Care to elaborate? From a rules/refereeing point of view how is Sturridge's dive a clear penalty all the same? Poll said it was because Vidic's slide was off the ball and therefore impeded Sturridge being through on goal.

I believe Sandy was referring to the incident where poll gave the same player three yellow cards in a World Cup games and so we should ignore him.

That being said his reasoning makes no sense lest we have players diving when they are a yard from a player because they were "impeding".

That's what I'm not sure about - Neville says that it was a clear penalty, despite there being no contact, as well. I don't know enough about the absolute letter of the law, but I believe it to have been a clear dive.

It was a funny game - the Sturridge penalty that was given, what should have been the Sturridge penalty that wasn't given, the Fellaini shove on Suarez that should have been a penalty, the Rafael handball that should have been a second yellow, the Rooney Superman leap over Skrtel...

Haven't seen it yet mate, but will watch and let you know!

That was the reference aye!

I've just watched what Totts posted, and I think... probably a dive. It's interesting though, the letter of the Law is:

"• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent"
So, under those - penalty.

Seeing Man U this year really does hit home how much a change in manager can make to the fortunes of a club. I mean, they WALKED the league last season and with the same group of players they are looking, quite frankly, vulnerable and completely average. I don't know what managers are out there, but reading forums it seems that Klopp and Simeone are the two that the fans want - the issue is that it will take a top manager and a lot of money (probably in the £150 million range) and I don't know whether the club can afford that if they spent it and then still didn't get back in the CL.

Edited by PappyTron

Man United may have walked the league points wise, but how many games were they 1-0 down in? Early in the season I swear they were behind early on (sometimes 2-0 down) or were only drawing come the second half.

The performances haven't changed in the respect of poor play - they haven't had the second half performances and belief they can win that they had under Fergie.

Fergie thought about his own legacy, he gave absolutely no consideration to the longevity of Utd's dominance. That's the reality. He handed Moyes an expired squad.

He made sure he had the squad to win one last league. That's why he's been so strongly empathetic towards Moyes - because he knows he gave him a dire selection.

Fergie thought about his own legacy, he gave absolutely no consideration to the longevity of Utd's dominance. That's the reality. He handed Moyes an expired squad.

He made sure he had the squad to win one last league. That's why he's been so strongly empathetic towards Moyes - because he knows he gave him a dire selection.

Bingo and that is why Fergie will never come back as he knows the players are past it.

Bingo and that is why Fergie will never come back as he knows the players are past it.

Yeah, there's little doubt that Fergie saw the squad limitations - and didn't fancy the rebuild. He'd managed to push a below-par squad to the title, albeit at a canter, but knew that it would struggle thereafter.

It's tough on Moyes really.

I think it's more the presence of Ferguson pushing players and refs. He would have used Zaha as a sub, got more out of Hernandez. Maybe bought someone with passing range. Not Fellaini. But you can see Rooney isn't trying too much, neither Van P. World Cup coming up. Ferguson may have had a bust up with Rooney sold him and brought in a real threat. Just buy Bentekke. Kagawa too completely wasted one of best Dortmund players. Anderson too. Much need mobility and engine around Carrick. Carrick and Fellaini two slow assotherfuckers right there. Moyes has no idea.

Guest Len B'stard

With Fergie they had a certain amount of zip, they never were like...a flair type team but they never looked fuckin' weak like they do now, they were attack minded, when they were breaking through they just pressed and pressed and pressed...probably something to do with the fact that there was a mad pissed up jock swinging a hairdryer round the room like he's throwing the hammer for Scotland in the dressing room waiting for them :lol:

Like Ferguson said sometimes they were shaky at the back but they always had a goal in them. But they played on the break. Now Moyes has them trying to keep the ball and they just lose it. But they need a player like scholes to hit the wingers with diagonals. They aren't really doing that. Mata is coming inside. Rooney doesn't know what to do. Carrick and Fellaini just sitting there. Janujaq isnt really skinning everyone. Van P isn't trying. Once that diagnol is played and Mata brings it down and plays in Rafael that's utd. But that is medieval football now. It's all play it around the box and look for little angles. So Mata and Kagawa should be on. Rooney and Van P are old school players who want service. Out dated. Mata or Kagawa should play behind Rooney or Van P. moyes is just playing his stars. I haven't seen Fellaini get the box and cause havoc with his head or even wander forward and get beyond the striker.

Edited by wasted

I almost went insane trying to work out how Ferguson could whip such a mediocre squad up into champ winners. Now I know it was just him bullying refs and players. True though its a transitional period. Obviously Moyes wants them to play his style but they aren't really up to it. I see none of the grit his Everton teams had.

Like Messi and Ronaldo destroyed everyone at the World Cup. They just aren't that good. Xavi and Pirlo them real players.

They have a real team and and real coach.

I know for a fact that Argentina will not win the WC cos there's no team. It's Messi, Aguero, Di Maria + 20 mediocre players, especially the GKs.

On the other hand, there's Germany and Spain. 23 real players each. The winner will be between the two.

Guest Len B'stard

Like Messi and Ronaldo destroyed everyone at the World Cup. They just aren't that good. Xavi and Pirlo them real players.

I know for a fact that Argentina will not win the WC cos there's no team. It's Messi, Aguero, Di Maria + 20 mediocre players, especially the GKs.

On the other hand, there's Germany and Spain. 23 real players each. The winner will be between the two.

Exactly, you can't blame Messi cuz there's only fuckin' Augero, Di Maria, who else, Mascherano...can't think of no one else. You can bang on about Maradona and Pele and how you ain't a great til you lead your country to World Cup glory but Pele and Maradonna didn't do it on their fuckin' own, did they?

• Like 1

Exactly, you can't blame Messi cuz there's only fuckin' Augero, Di Maria, who else, Mascherano...can't think of no one else. You can bang on about Maradona and Pele and how you ain't a great til you lead your country to World Cup glory but Pele and Maradonna didn't do it on their fuckin' own, did they?

Of course not, Pele is nothing without Garrincha and company.

Maradona was in a consolidated team, he was the star, but other where making the sacrifices.

Mascherano is playing midfield in Argentina, a position who only plays like 5 o 6 time a year. That pretty much resume the Coach "great" work there.