The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

It'd be stupid to sack him though - don't get me wrong, immensely underwhelming this season - but the point is to build stability for future. What would that say about us if we binned him now?

As I've said before, Moyes inherited an abysmal selection from Fergie. Sir Alex made sure he had the team for one last league title, and basically said "fuck it" to subsequent seasons.

It is definitely not Moyes' fault, and he has been scapegoated for a problem created by Fergie's ego, but try telling that to the Utd masses. They think Fergie is a god whose powers made them win last year's league, whereas in reality he just made some very good short-term buys i.e. VP.

I don't think that's altogether the case - the support particular at OT has been phenomenal. I know that some of my friends who are also stalwart fans have given up on him mind.

You're right that it's probably the "masses" that cause the problem - but I don't think that board are going to be that reactionary. Bobby Charlton came out today and said they're backing him - and I believe that, no matter what happens tonight.

Most rational-minded fans are able to see why Moyes has had such a torrid debut season. But the media are really hitting him hard, and as a result, most people that would loosely affiliate with Utd are expressing the same opinion i.e. those that aren't at Old Trafford regularly, but wear Utd jerseys, and are talking about football over social media.

The Utd board deserve praise for the way they've came out in defence of Moyes; not many clubs would stand by their strategy so ardently.

It'd be stupid to sack him though - don't get me wrong, immensely underwhelming this season - but the point is to build stability for future. What would that say about us if we binned him now?

As I've said before, Moyes inherited an abysmal selection from Fergie. Sir Alex made sure he had the team for one last league title, and basically said "fuck it" to subsequent seasons.

It is definitely not Moyes' fault, and he has been scapegoated for a problem created by Fergie's ego, but try telling that to the Utd masses. They think Fergie is a god whose powers made them win last year's league, whereas in reality he just made some very good short-term buys i.e. VP.

I don't think that's altogether the case - the support particular at OT has been phenomenal. I know that some of my friends who are also stalwart fans have given up on him mind.

You're right that it's probably the "masses" that cause the problem - but I don't think that board are going to be that reactionary. Bobby Charlton came out today and said they're backing him - and I believe that, no matter what happens tonight.

Most rational-minded fans are able to see why Moyes has had such a torrid debut season. But the media are really hitting him hard, and as a result, most people that would loosely affiliate with Utd are expressing the same opinion i.e. those that aren't at Old Trafford regularly, but wear Utd jerseys, and are talking about football over social media.

The Utd board deserve praise for the way they've came out in defence of Moyes; not many clubs would stand by their strategy so ardently.

Do you (and by proxy, fans of other teams on this board!) think it'll work? Is there a way back?

Do you (and by proxy, fans of other teams on this board!) think it'll work? Is there a way back?

Most certainly. There is absolutely no way that a club of Utd's stature are going to fall away, into the oblivion. First and foremost, Moyes is a good manager. His abilities haven't been exposed at Utd, he's just making the most of an expired squad. Moyes will clear out the deadwood at the end of season, and use his reported £200 million warchest to create the basis of a top 3 team.

The only thing you can legitimately criticize Moyes for is the knee-jerk fee he paid for Fellaini.

Guest Len B'stard

I just don't think he's the man for the job. He can't get the best out of these players, which doesn't bode well for a future where he puts together his own squad, I just don't think he has it for the top level.

I'll tell you a big problem of his - Van Persie. Watch the way they interact, Moyes is constantly trying to curry favour from him. As a manager, that's just not the way you secure the respect of an egotistical player. What you do is lay down the law and demand VP's respect (ala Fergie). The relationship is like a talented Sunday league footballer, and a clueless coach that is trying to keep him (but his own overzealous efforts are doing more harm than good).

It's very apparent to me that VP exerts too much dressing room power.

Here's a question for you all: If your club can't win the league this year, who would you be least annoyed at winning?

I would say Liverpool. They're a club that I would deem very close in spirit to Celtic, so I've always admired them.

Here's a question for you all: If your club can't win the league this year, who would you be least annoyed at winning?

I would say Liverpool. They're a club that I would deem very close in spirit to Celtic, so I've always admired them.

Arsenal, for me. It's out of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City and the latter two are just testaments to financial doping whereas Arsenal have done it by building up their brand and finances one step at a time.

Arsenal are going to destroy Swansea, they haven't improved at all under Monk and have only won one game since he took over.

Eh?

Guest Len B'stard

Don't judge until full time mate, now you've got 1 more will follow.

See above pal!
Oh joy. A Spurs fan correctly predicting an Arsenal win :lol:

You fucking Spud jinx, you did this :lol: Gutting. Nice to see United getting a goodf shagging, scant consolation though that is.

Edited by sugaraylen

Don't judge until full time mate, now you've got 1 more will follow.

See above pal!
Oh joy. A Spurs fan correctly predicting an Arsenal win :lol:

You fucking Spud jinx, you did this :lol: Gutting. Nice to see United getting a goodf shagging, scant consolation though that is.

:awesomeface:

I would love to say great win for us but to be honest whilst I am happy with the win, united were so easy to beat that it kind of takes something away from the win for us. We won but it was easy to beat them, I never thought they were going to score and that's just my gods honest opinion. At no point did I think oh dear we are in trouble and that was even when Demicheles was at the back. Harder opposition to come, Arsenal and Liverpool away will be our hardest tasks. Liverpool will be the truly difficult one.