The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Odd that I never hear Spuds criticizing Levy, the guy is a fucking disaster yet is viewed as some kind of Yoda figure. Transfer genius? Take a look at Spurs players over last ten years.

We criticize him all the time, the fact is over the last 4 years we've finished no lower than 5th but myself and many Spurs fans feel we won't ever finish higher than that until he stops messing around with the club and gives us stability.

If you look on twitter whenever we play #ENICout is common from our fans with ENIC being the company that owns us.

Guest Len B'stard

I dont wanna see him gone, i wanna see him with a transfer budget to spend, which he does now :). Spend it well, make a big final noise and then retire.

Wow, Barca just lost to Grenada 1-0.

Well he has had money for the last few years he just doesn't like spending it.

He speaks the truth Sug

Can't really say I disagree though, I'd rather spend little and have stability than spend close to £100m and have a bad season.

Guest Len B'stard

Has he really though? It was only this window gone where they actually started saying OK, now the stadiums settled etc this is first window with money to spend...and look, he bought Ozil. Hasn't exactly set the world on fire granted but he didn't do bad either and it's only his first season and all that aside, point being, he's spent money hasn't he?

Explain this to me Sug, Lukas Podolski.

One of Europe's most consistent and deadly finishers, playing left wing.

Feel free to try and rationalize basic errors like that, we all know where Poldi should be but Wenger is to stubborn to relent. Time to go.

Edited by GET OFF AXLS BACK

Guest Len B'stard

But thats Wenger all over innit, playing em out of position, getting different things out of players. He tends to have a bit of a moody here and there too i think.

Has he really though? It was only this window gone where they actually started saying OK, now the stadiums settled etc this is first window with money to spend...and look, he bought Ozil. Hasn't exactly set the world on fire granted but he didn't do bad either and it's only his first season and all that aside, point being, he's spent money hasn't he?

I seem to remember for the last two or three windows Wenger has come out and said Arsenal had about £30m to spend but he didn't want to spend money without reason. True it is only this year they've been able to buy a £40m+ player but the money has still been there for a few years.

Look at these fees:

Cazorla £16m

Arshavin £16m

Nasri £13m

Hleb £13m

The Ox £12m

Kos £11m

Eduardo £11m

Vermalen £10m

Podolski £10m

Giroud £10m

Arteta £10m

Hardly from a team that is strapped for cash that some would have us believe.

Guest Len B'stard

Hardly big spending either though is it and thats the point, thats what Arsenal fans are getting at when they say Wenger doesnt spend, they mean he doesnt spend big, he doesnt spend the kinds of amounts that get you players than win you titles...until now :). Thats what he hasnt had, the sort of budget where you can get the Ozils of this world.

Edited by sugaraylen

This summer you spent £42m on Ozil.

Last summer you spent £47m on Podolski, Giroud, Santi and Monreal.

The year before that you spent £51.5m including Arteta, The Ox, Mertersaker and Gervinho.

No offense but that is spending big, not you can argue that those players may not win titles but the fact remains that if he wanted to Wenger could have taken that £47m or £51m and bought 1 or 2 very good players that could have turned you into title contenders but Wenger decided not to despite the budget being there.

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah but its not as easy as that is it because theres more than one spot that needs filling. Its easy to sit here as fans and give our opinions and that but by the same token if it were that easy we'd all be at it.