The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Guest Len B'stard

The fuck was my boy Messi playing at? Then again, fuckin' hell, drop in form they say, 9 goals in the last 12 games? The guy is on 30 something goals this season, Suarez is up to that much and he's being lauded as having invented sliced bread.

Difference is Messi is having a bad year by his standards and Suarez a great one.

Well whatever you call it the assessments are disproportionate to footballing reality. Then again in defence of your position all footballers ain't all judged by the same standards.

The fuck was my boy Messi playing at? Then again, fuckin' hell, drop in form they say, 9 goals in the last 12 games? The guy is on 30 something goals this season, Suarez is up to that much and he's being lauded as having invented sliced bread.

Difference is Messi is having a bad year by his standards and Suarez a great one.

This, but i hope he'll be back in full form at the WC.

Guest Len B'stard

I think Argentina could suprise people this World Cup and it won't all be Messi, although i hope a fair chunk is.

I think Argentina could suprise people this World Cup and it won't all be Messi, although i hope a fair chunk is.

Like i said before, Argentina won't get very far with that defense. The GK has no hands, see last Monaco game.

But i hope Messi scores enough goals to win the top scorer prize.

Edited by Russel Nash

Guest Len B'stard

A lot of other teams would need to have a bad day for that to happen IMO.

It's odd though innit I mean...quality can carry teams sometimes. Perhaps this will be the measure of Messi.

Guest Len B'stard

England! And I'll maintain that position til the final whistle of Englands last game...probably in the early knockings :lol:

A lot of other teams would need to have a bad day for that to happen IMO.

It's odd though innit I mean...quality can carry teams sometimes. Perhaps this will be the measure of Messi.

He's had his moments on the global stage, I remember him leading Argentina to gold at the olympics. But Then there's some of the runs he's had a World Cups and Copa Americas where all his skills just cannot carry Argentina over the last hurdle.

Really don't get all the jizzing over Bale's goal. The only exceptional thing about it was the pace he used to get by the right-back. Putting the ball through the legs of an incredibly average goalkeeper like Pinto is nothing to brag about.

There is nothing spectacular about the goal in footballing terms.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

I dont understand really whats happened, im not sure what the ff thingies are, i was told they're basically to do with spending within your means...well their means is Sheikh Mansour so whats the problem?

I dont understand really whats happened, im not sure what the ff thingies are, i was told they're basically to do with spending within your means...well their means is Sheikh Mansour so whats the problem?

The means is meant to be the club's means, not the means of the owner. Man City are rotten to the core - look at the phony sponsorship deals, for a start!

They are not spending within their means, they are artificially topped up by a 3rd party. The Club has to run across 2 seasons without a loss of £50m+, and as of next season is becomes £37m+

Man City suffered a heavy loss last year IIRC, and they were topped up by the suspicious payment for stadium naming rights - a clear breach that a Club cannot receive funding from a 3rd party that is associated with an owner.

Guest Len B'stard

Whats the point of that law then? And like...the Sheikhs investment is responsible for their having any kind of means surely, i mean before he bought em they were the City we used to know, sorry, excuse my stupidity.

So basically you can only spend within the earning potential of the club itself? Surely thats potential is tied to the owners clout, like any club?

Really don't get all the jizzing over Bale's goal. The only exceptional thing about it was the pace he used to get by the right-back. Putting the ball through the legs of an incredibly average goalkeeper like Pinto is nothing to brag about.

To me it was alll Pinto's fault. But it was a great goal cos the timing, the match was almost over.

Isn't it more about salary, for example salary cant exceed 70% of total income. I could be wrong.

The problem is surely more about owners that treat finances as loans. In Man City's case I'm not sure what the fuss is about. It is called Financial Fair Play but ultimately its about keeping the top clubs established over last 50 years at the top. How the fuck can smaller teams rise up without speculating?

Theo Walcott against Newcastle was better than Gareth Bale. In fact, often Theo Walcott is better than Bale.

Can't really disagree with that, Bale had one excellent season at Spurs and carried us to 5th. Aside from that he has had a couple of good seasons but nothing else aside from that. Walcott on the other hand has had several very good seasons but for some reason people tend to forget about him.

Now that Barca have been punished, nobody is safe.

Not for the same thing but they were a big fish that have been shady for 20 plus years.

Barca still have an appeal regarding the transfer embargo which they will probably win. That is the real test for me, if it is upheld then anyone will be fair game for punishments.

Isn't it more about salary, for example salary cant exceed 70% of total income. I could be wrong.

The problem is surely more about owners that treat finances as loans. In Man City's case I'm not sure what the fuss is about. It is called Financial Fair Play but ultimately its about keeping the top clubs established over last 50 years at the top. How the fuck can smaller teams rise up without speculating?

I am not sure about salary. I know that a lot of things are exempt from FFP, such as spending on the youth structures and facilities.

It is unfairly advantaging the established teams - those who have already promoted themselves in the so called emerging markets are obviously going to be bringing in more worldwide revenue than an up and coming team.

I would say even Tottenham/Everton are up against it and they are ever-presents in the Premier League. The only way to recover is to heavily invest in youth, promote them to your first team and sell for profit or build a team using purely 'home grown'

The so called bigger teams are lobbying for this so they can stay at the top table. They don't want another city ruining their positions and entry into the champions league. It's all corrupt and dodgy whichever way you look at it. Basically stopping any team outside the already well established teams from spoiling the party. Less of a competitive league and same old top 4 or 5 every season.

Edited by Ryan95
  • Like 1

That's incredibly rude, he's a world class goalkeeper with superb, flowing hair.

It was great in the context of the game, his pace was insane - and from nothing really. I think it's more appreciating the whole of it, rather than just say individual skill. Was exciting at the time!

Edited by The Sandman