The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Crazy to think they tore the house down over those two legs and neither made the final. Worse yet for us, the team that took out Madrid after they eliminated us was Juve, a team United handled quite easily in the earlier group stage.

A Madrid final was definitely the most interesting out of the other options from the Semi's. By that I mean in terms of goals being scored.

I think Real will win it though. Athletic done well, but Madrid can come out guns blazing at the start in it. People will think I'm crazy, but Real winning 5-1 isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

You haven't watched much of Athletico if you think they're gonna concede 5 goals in one match. They're not Munich they actually have decent defenders. I predict a really tight match that could easily go to extra time

This year's Copa Del Rey semifinal rings an ominous tone for the CL Final and Atletico's chances.

Athletico beat them at the bernabeau back in September and drew 2-2 with them in march. I still think Real will edge it though they seem hell bent on finally winning La Decima

Atletico was never a small team. It was always the 3rd team in number of fans and in means too. Not the first time they do something remarkable. They already did a great season last year with Falcao and they are playing really solid. It's a 50/50, and not only because of this, but because finals are always totally different from any other match.

Edited by Thin White Duke

Guest Len B'stard

It's just the drop off from 1st and 2nd to 3rd is a big gulf in La Liga....and bigger further down. As with any league though each team has their jinx team and various patterns.

It's just the drop off from 1st and 2nd to 3rd is a big gulf in La Liga....and bigger further down. As with any league though each team has their jinx team and various patterns.

Absolutely, especially during the last seasons were Madrid and Barcleona have been at another dimension, but people are talking baout them as if they were that little team that is in the final by pure fluke. They've won the Europa League in 2010 and 2012, they are leading La Liga right now with many chances of finally getting it (3 matches left, 4 points ahead)... and they have plenty of supporters all around the coutnry, not only in Madrid. I think it's been underestimate.

Guest Len B'stard

Athletico Madrid have always been amazing, agreed. In fact I'd even argue they were marginally better before now, although results certain say different. Shit, an EPL winning Man Utd couldn't handle Athletic Bilbao on the night, let alone Madrid so La Liga's quality is plain to see really.

A Madrid final was definitely the most interesting out of the other options from the Semi's. By that I mean in terms of goals being scored.

I think Real will win it though. Athletic done well, but Madrid can come out guns blazing at the start in it. People will think I'm crazy, but Real winning 5-1 isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

You haven't watched much of Athletico if you think they're gonna concede 5 goals in one match. They're not Munich they actually have decent defenders. I predict a really tight match that could easily go to extra time

They got overturned 5-0 on aggregate in the cup semi's over two legs. Outside the cup final last year and a few games recently they're normally Madrid's wiping boys.

Granted they have had an excellent season and have improved, I just see Ronaldo doing something memorable. 16 goals in 10 games and the season he's had. I think we'll see his Messi moment. It's rare to see the special player's go through periods like this and not win the big one.

I fancy Atletico for the league though.

Edited by AtariLegend

Guest Len B'stard

I am a bit biased here because I want Real to lose.

Fun fact: Atletico de Madrid was born as an affiliated club to Athletic de Bilbao, and that's why both wear the same colours (white and red shirts). I just read it today. :lol:

Yeah, I heard a commentator say that once too. I don't really care who wins as long as it's a good game. Usually when i get to this kinda point where i feel the same way about two teams I try to find a reason for one over the other but i can't, they're both teams that play really good football.

It depends massively on the day but i think Real have got this.

Guest Len B'stard

Yes Larsson! All hail the great Giggs, here to usher in a new era of exellence in Salford!

• Like 1

I think there's a certain World Cup apprehension. Some players, not naming names Van Persie, Rooney, Oscar, Hazard, Torres just don't seem interested in putting league performances. I don't have the CIA file yet but it just looks a lot like that.

Boom! Barkley!

Old Traffords lookin' kinda empty lately..

I've had 10 days of Ryan Giggs posts all over my Facebook timeline from one of my old work colleagues. Funnily enough there weren't any after 3pm today.

Naturally i've left a comment on his post about Giggs being the best option to take the team forward...

As I post the final whistle goes - the Premier League has new leaders.

Edited by Chris1989

Old Traffords lookin' kinda empty lately..

Got the tram out to Didsbury today with a bunch of fucking noisy Utd fans on the way to Old Trafford about 1 o'clock. Came back about half 5 and they were a lot quieter. :lol: