The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Guest Len B'stard

Old Traffords lookin' kinda empty lately..

Got the tram out to Didsbury today with a bunch of fucking noisy Utd fans on the way to Old Trafford about 1 o'clock. Came back about half 5 and they were a lot quieter. :lol:

*stands up and clears his throat*

I think there's a certain World Cup apprehension. Some players, not naming names Van Persie, Rooney, Oscar, Hazard, Torres just don't seem interested in putting league performances. I don't have the CIA file yet but it just looks a lot like that.

Boom! Barkley!

Let's be honest, Rooney isn't going to put in a performance at the World Cup either. I'd actually like to see England do well, but it's going to be miserable.

I think there's a certain World Cup apprehension. Some players, not naming names Van Persie, Rooney, Oscar, Hazard, Torres just don't seem interested in putting league performances. I don't have the CIA file yet but it just looks a lot like that.

Boom! Barkley!

Let's be honest, Rooney isn't going to put in a performance at the World Cup either. I'd actually like to see England do well, but it's going to be miserable.

True, but they don't know that. That's not how players think. Imagine the mentality of Big Brother. You've got Lambert and Carroll vying for that free space. It's all about money, sponsorship etc. I think it was the Sven World Cup it kind of surfaced that really the manager feels pressure to play the players with huge sponsorship deals. The brand names.

I think someone like Oscar is really saving himself to win the WC with Brazil. Hazard maybe too thinks Belgium have a chance. Torres won't really get out of bed for anything other than the Final in extra time.

It works the other way too, Lallana, Shaw and Lambert have been running their bollcks off for the saints. trying to make the squad. if they do, they get a transfer to a real club and wages go through the roof for a few years.

England have no chance in Brazil. Too hot for them, not enough technical players to keep the ball and play at the strolling pace. QF would be miracle. When I'm dreaming I think of the triangle of Sterling, Rooney, Sturridge with players like Barkley, Wilshire, Gerrard being like the Anglo-Barca but then I wake up to cold hard pucca pie reality.

Anybody catch Diego Costa's daft headbutt?

Hopefully Real pick up a point just so that we have a close end to the season.

Premiership relegation battle has been such a letdown with Sunderland beating United yesterday and Norwich's goal difference. Great performance by the Canaries, they parked the Tractor in front of goal and defended brilliantly - quite clear where the problems for both Chelsea and Norwich have been - neither created any real chance.

I don't know the end result but wouldn't argue with a red for it.

Madrid got a point, keeps things right and Barca are still 3rd best placed...

Amazing - I just looked at the table for the Prem - Arsenal and Chelsea are both likely to finish with 30 goals less than Pool and City. THAT is the difference right there.

Swap Torres/Etoo/Ba (About 12 goals) for a Van Nistelrooy or Henry... Title is already at the Bridge.

Edited by Chris1989

Guest Len B'stard

Arsenal made that harder than it needed to be, as per usual. Norwich giving us a heads up too.

I think Mourinho also messed up tactically by playing 2 defense mids against these teams. Lukaku would have been useful in these games to get crosses coming in, but Moron seems to only have one way to play. City can go through the middle and get balls wide and Dzeko is good in the air. Chelsea's attack is too one dimensional I guess. Unless to play a high line you can limit them to shots out side the box. Drogba could get goals in the air too, he was threat, diving, pace, a world class shinner. Freekicks seem to have dried up too. Lampard used to get at least 10 deflected free kicks a season.

Edited by wasted

Problem is Chelsea have destroyed the top teams but lost against the smaller clubs this year, they've taken 16/18 from the rest of the top four and 4/6 against both United and Spurs. It's their form against the bottom half of the table which is surprising really.

It's true they couldn't mix it with the 442 championship sides. It'sjust Moron looking for the 0-1 away win isn't? and it back fired. they can't get that goal to defend.

Moron blamed his players mentality, it's Torres Syndrome. He'll only show up to score in the final of the World Cup. And it makes sense for the players. As long as they are in the Champions league and play for the national team, have sponsors and huge salaries, why get injured against Stoke away. Only Terry and Lampard really give a shit about the prem. Chelsea are a champions league team really.

You could say that City and Liverppol didn't have those champions league games so they werent all knackered. City and Liverpool are set up to attack, to destroy bullshit teams like Norwich, like Utd have been before Moyes tried to turn them into a relegation battlers. You have to be playing basically a 4-2-4 with one of those two mids an attacking mid like Toure or Lampard.

I think they've done okay though, in it til the last two games really. I guess hey could just stay the same with a couple of more dangerous strikers. But to beat City they need to be tanning those mid to bottom teams 4-0. playing 4-1-2-3. But then you really need a world class def mid. A Maklele who releases those two attack mids to get forward to support dangerous players. Willian, Schurrle, Hazard, Oscar are pretty young so I can see them coming good. Diego Costa seems like could cause problems. Again Lukaku could really have been an asset against the lower teams.