The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Guest Len B'stard

But by that reckoning you're drawing a very narrow margin of like, 3 teams that are actually in with a shout, id like to think its a bit more competitive than that, the way you go on its like we got no chance.

Don't get me wrong, i ain't saying we're a shoe-in by any stretch of the imagination but still.

Edited by sugaraylen

From my persepctive, English football fans tend to prefer their clubs rather than their national team. And so do the players when you see players like Carragher and Shearer retiring too early from internationals. This is not so in Cricket or Rugby where the national sides are prioritised - in cricket, the English counties are essentially fueling stations for the English test team. Personally I never got into club football. Dreary provincial stuff, full of idiotic sectarian rivalries and a transfer soap opera which bores the tits out of me. The Premier League is simply awful. But I do watch internationals (world cup, euros).

Guest Len B'stard

Personally I never got into club football. Dreary provincial stuff, full of idiotic sectarian rivalries and a transfer soap opera which bores the tits out of me. .

Fuck me, say what you mean Dies' :lol:

But we don't have a chance, we crumble in the important games and our players aren't good enough. If we were we would at least get past the quarter final stage so lets just look at who made up the semi finals at the major tournaments since 1998.

1998 WC: Brazil, France, Netherlands, Croatia

2000 Euros: France, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal

2002 WC: Brazil, Germany, South Korea, Turkey

2004 Euros: Portugal, Netherlands, Greece, Czech Republic

2006 WC: Germany, Italy, France, Portugal

2008 Euros: Germany, Turkey, Russia, Spain

2010 WC: Uruguay, Germany, Spain, Netherlands

Euro 2012: Portugal, Spain, Germany, Italy

Teams like Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands are all teams that play at a higher level than England and can turn it on for tournaments despite indifferent form in qualification while we struggle to make it through to the competition and that form carries over into the competition. Regardless of how competitive you think a competition might be there are sides that consistently get to the semi finals over a prolonged period of time and as a nation England do not, we are the teams that gets through to the quarter final and then gets beaten by a better side.

Personally I never got into club football. Dreary provincial stuff, full of idiotic sectarian rivalries and a transfer soap opera which bores the tits out of me. .

Fuck me, say what you mean Dies' :lol:

I just never got into football at club level. I never had a 'club' that I felt terribly drawn towards. I do not really get the whole thing. You know, Newcastle v Sunderland? All that rivalry. England, yes, I support them. I watch football only at international level.

This transfer thing. Months are wasted discussing this tedious drama which essentially consists of: Team A sells Player 1 to Team B. Team B sells player 2 to Team C. Team C sells player 3 to team A - and, the cycle continues. Every year all the teams seem to switch players for zillions of cash for seemingly, no apparent reason. So you can be watching a match and suddenly you find, Owen, who you thought was a black and white, as a red! It makes me dizzy. Why don't they just stick to the same bloody clubs?

Guest Len B'stard

Geordies and Mackems, thats a fuckin' hardcore rivalry man. Thats your sort of manor, isn't it? Look, we're pack animals, it just works like that, you see it everywhere in life, in the work place people band together, it's done by race, by the area you're from, by common interest, even on this forum in a way, different Kung Fu schools and that (cuz i know you're into that mularkey)

They switch for money, for glory, for the chance of a better career when it's all said and done. There are those (not including me) who consider the loyalty to your squad stuff to be an old fashioned provincial attitude. But see, you can understand loyalty on that level so loyalty (and the resultant rivalries) in terms of the fans etc should be easy to understand, it's kinda related to that mentality.

I am just pissed off because I keep tuning into talksport for the Ashes gossip and I keep getting Gareth Bale and Rooney in my left ear hole. I really couldn't care if the two of them fucked off to Scunthorp.

I'm a fucking Spurs fan I think I speak for most football fans when we say we're sick and tired of the Bale and Rooney sagas.

I am just pissed off because I keep tuning into talksport for the Ashes gossip and I keep getting Gareth Bale and Rooney in my left ear hole. I really couldn't care if the two of them fucked off to Scunthorp.

I'm a fucking Spurs fan I think I speak for most football fans when we say we're sick and tired of the Bale and Rooney sagas.

All sagas...

Guest Len B'stard

Season starts tommorow, fuck the sagas now :)

But even if you win don't destroy Villa there will be people complaining that you need to sign players, aka the Wenger Warchest saga :lol:

Sod em :lol:

There arent any english players in the best prem teams. Well there are but they are squad players.

I do think you need a bit of luck from quarters but spain were crush teams with quality.

Eng need to eject the old guard. Also for last decade they had a player in scholes who could do it but they played him left wing.

They have some exciting players like Zaha, Sterling, Welbeck. But thats what we like wingers. But really when it comes done to possession we either dont play like that or dont have players to do that. Like walcott gives the ball away or scores.

Maybe Carrick cleverly, Wilshire can do it.

Lampard, rooney, gerrard need to go. So need one more mid who can keep ball and put fear of god into to team.

Theres no falso 9 a messi or ronaldo unplayable.

Thats why we draw away to moldova.