The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Guest Len B'stard

The former Gunners captain has dismissed the north London side's chances of winning the Premier League due to the absence of leaders and an inability to triumph when playing badly

Patrick Vieira does not believe that former club Arsenal will win the Premier League this season because they lack leaders on and off the field.

The Frenchman, who now manages Manchester City's Under-21 side, lifted the Premier League trophy three times during his nine-year spell in north London.

Arsenal have not won any silverware since Vieira converted the winning penalty in a shootout against Manchester United in the 2005 FA Cup final, and the 37-year-old believes the Gunners need to find a way to win ugly.

“When you look at Arsenal, they play fantastic football. But sometimes you need to win games playing badly, and I don't think Arsenal are capable of that at the moment,” the Frenchman told the Daily Mirror.

"Maybe there is a lack of leadership - they don't have a Tony Adams, Martin Keown or Sol Campbell. These are players who can be leaders on or off the field."

Vieira left Arsenal eight years ago, but felt he could have stayed at the club for longer: "I had no idea that the Cup final would be my last game - I wasn't thinking about leaving at all.

"The club didn't really fight to keep me or ask me to stay. I was really close to leaving for Real Madrid the year before, the deal was done between the two clubs, but I wanted to finish my career at Arsenal."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/12/10/4467630/leaderless-arsenal-cant-win-ugly-says-vieira

Cheers Pat, love you too!

There's a show on tonight btw, on ITV4, about the whole Pat Viera/Roy Keane thing, looks to be pretty good, just a heads up in case anyones interested :)

Guest Len B'stard

If i was a football player and playing for Arsenal i'd die before i left. I really mean it, i'd take a cut in wages, play out of position, ANYTHING. I mean like, if you grow up supporting a team, take you Sandy, if you played for United and were on like 50,000 a week...or 70,000...would you leave for another team offering you 100 or would you stick with who you grew up loving?

With me it'd be the latter all day...I mean once you crack the 50,000 a week what the fuck does another 10 or 20 grand matter anyway? Once you got the nice house, nice car, swimming pool etc. I mean often people have decent reasons, like Cesc, who i think is a top lad and did genuinely love The Arsenal but like...it's like going home for him, Barca. And I suppose you can still love the club and move on, different phase in your life etc but then like, you have your total fucking phoney Judas types like Dutch Robin, all that bollocks about love for the club and blah blah blah, pictures of him as a baby in the Arsenal shirt and then it's like 'when United called, my heart said United' and it's like oh fuck off.

Edited by sugaraylen

I always believed that I would as a kid :lol:

I think for some of them though, they have nothing else bar that - so they do want to maximise their earning potential. But for me, playing for "my team" and having myself go down in history for that, that's what you want. That's worth lots more rather than whoring yourself around clubs to make a bit extra.

Yeah but Len, you have a life of supporting Arsenal behind you, how big a fan were you when you were 8-11 years old because that is the age that many players join academies and such. The support we gain for our boyhood clubs that grows during the teenage years and alike is pretty much removed due to the age at which they start and the players being unaware of a huge rivalry. Michael Owen is a great example, he was a boyhood Everton fan and as we all know came through the Liverpool academy, I mean I myself would love to play for Spurs but that is due to the experiences I have had supporting them as I grew older, those are feelings that would not have been present/ relevant if I had started as a kid. The loyalty the fans have is replaced by the vast majority of players being mercenaries with a few exceptions.

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah but Len, you have a life of supporting Arsenal behind you, how big a fan were you when you were 8-11 years old because that is the age that many players join academies and such. The support we gain for our boyhood clubs that grows during the teenage years and alike is pretty much removed due to the age at which they start and the players being unaware of a huge rivalry. Michael Owen is a great example, he was a boyhood Everton fan and as we all know came through the Liverpool academy, I mean I myself would love to play for Spurs but that is due to the experiences I have had supporting them as I grew older, those are feelings that would not have been present/ relevant if I had started as a kid. The loyalty the fans have is replaced by the vast majority of players being mercenaries with a few exceptions.

Yeah you got a point, was watching an interview with Jack Wilshere the other day about when he got the call from the Luton youth team to Arsenal and he was like i was 50/50 about going and the guy was like hang on, i thought you was always Arsenal and he goes well i was it's just that I was 8 years old then and all my mates were at Luton. But still, as you grow you get to learn about the nature of football and what their respective clubs mean to folks, like the great David Rocastle said 'remember who you are, remember where you are and remember what you represent'.

Edited by sugaraylen

Len, made any bets tonight?

Forum fans: predictions for tonight/tomorrow?

I'll be at the Bridge tomorrow for (I think) the first time in over 2 years - pretty sure Ancelotti was boss last time I went!

I also think tomorrow is the 20th match I'll have attended!

Also, you'd have to consider where you're able to build a career. More chance of making it with Luton...

I'll be at the Bridge tomorrow for (I think) the first time in over 2 years - pretty sure Ancelotti was boss last time I went!

I did:

Chelsea -2

Bayern -1

Man Utd (who were priced at evens)

Sorry to break it to you Len but the majority of footballers, especially foreigners don't give a shit about what the club means to their fans. They say one thing and then a club comes in for them and they change their tune. Obviously when you were younger this was much different due to the lack of foreign talent in the PL.

Guest Len B'stard

I aint betting on shit this season, results are too scatty

Fuckssake City :(

What a bloody game! My team looked down and out and on the way to a humiliating defeat. Then mad zab came on to stifle ribery and we started to play football. Crazy how we came back to beat bayern at their own ground with 5 or 6 first team players out. I may be biased but think bayern were woeful in the second half and we deserved the win. This will give us all the confidence in the world and even though missed out on top spot I am a very proud city fan tonight. Next arsenal at home, let's see if we can take this extra confidence into the game against the league leaders.

Edited by Ryan95

Guest Len B'stard

I fuckin' missed it, was it good, i've read loads of comments from Keano bout the tunnel incident, what did Pat Viera say? Viera would've fuckin' squashed Keano, the little prick, fuckin' fancies himself a proper lad doesn't he, 'hatred for Arsenal', fuck off you fuckin' plum, two slaps mate, thats the mileage you'll manage! Pussy.

When I was young, I idolised Keane - who wouldn't? He was tough, combatative, and could really play - yes, things often got nasty, but in his prime, was absolutely class.

However, I have nothing but contempt for his recent actions and comments. It's as if he wants to burn every bridge with every person he's worked with. I appreciate his managerial career floundered (hence the Assistant's Role now), and will no doubt pick up, but he just appears to be consistently bitter. One of the stand-out comments was that Cloughie was a better manager than SAF - but if you watch the clip, see how it's said, and in turn, know of the history in recent years, it's depressing to think that their relationship has simply deteriorated. What I wouldn't give to have Keane back in his prime at the centre of our midfield.

Guest Len B'stard

I hate Keane deeply inside my soul for who he is and what he is and how he feels about my club, which by the way shines through even in his punditry. But everything he says about Fergie sounds accurate...totally accurate. And quite accurately i think, it all fits really. One thing about Keano, i hate his guts...but thats almost circumstancial in terms of where he stands in position to my team, always hated him, growing up, always considered him a victim of little man syndrome...but one thing he ain't is a liar...but i think Ferguson is...massively. A liar and an egotist and a facts twister, not only in terms of things like match results or heavy home side bias (which is to be expected) but about his relationships with people and his conduct...and that isn't to be expected.

Quite frankly you can have a go at Keano all you like but he did keep it somewhat respectable and cordial...SAF ripped a load of people a new one and a lot of those people were the very same people who made him the SAF that he is...thats fuckin' unclassy and sad.