The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Makes me think is moyes really doing anything about it? Or is it all just talk? I mean realistically any advantage they can get n all that since their position in the league is so poor. I can't stand divers and cheaters and I believe teams should be docked points because of it as it is spoiling the beautiful game. After all it is a gentleman's game or it used to be. I see no pride or honor at cheating your way to a win.

Edited by Ryan95

I hope your right mate, my feelings about united are not nice at the best of times but cheating as well just makes me so mad. Sugaraylen your feelings are part of the problem, would you still be ok if united beat you 1-0 by diving in the box and getting a penalty for cheating?

The onus is on the referees too. I've seen many fouls go unnoticed because the affected player didn't respond theatrically. If you don't respond theatrically, you have significantly less chance of securing the free-kick. The standard of refereeing is abysmal. They're too concerned with cultivating the status of a celebrity.

I have an odd affection for Liverpool, growing up they were like...quite a big team although somewhat on the tail-end of their greatness. I know you don't like em Chris but you gotta admit they got some passionate fuckin' fans and like, at least so far this season, you can't fault their football.

Out of interest Chris, why the intense dislike for em? Aside from the aforementioned. Is there more to it or...? Just curious.

I just know a lot of unpleasant Liverpool fans and until Suarez came along they got such a love in from pundits like Redknapp, Phil Thompson, Alan Hansen, Mark Lawrenson - they are all Loverpool defenders who see no wrong.

With Chelsea and Liverpool meeting 18 times over 5 seasons and seeing Essien get raped in the press for a foul, but Sissoko getting nothing, Luis Garcia's fake goal, Rafa in general...

Meanwhile, those passionate fans wanted Brendan Rogers out from day 1 until about 10 games in because Racist defender Dalglish was better apparently.

I have a lot of time for Brendan, top coach who was a Chelsea man with our youths whilst Jose was first here.

Cardiff fans were louder than Liverpools passionate Kop - "Anfields a Library" and "Shall we sing a song for you" were clearly audible on the weekend lol.

Maybe I'm better, maybe I'm just passionate about my own club and the way we are portrayed.

Liverpool:

"It's never your fault, it's never your fault, always the victims, it's never your fault"

Guest Len B'stard

I hope your right mate, my feelings about united are not nice at the best of times but cheating as well just makes me so mad. Sugaraylen your feelings are part of the problem, would you still be ok if united beat you 1-0 by diving in the box and getting a penalty for cheating?

I'd be enraged but the fact is if they got away with it they got one over on us, simple as. The rules are there and you're supposed to follow them but at the same time when a rule is or isn't broken is a ref desicion and if he don't call it, no matter how blatant it is or isn't, then it ain't breaking the rules.

And also, look at it this way, think about how much money rides on a game, the important of 3 points...or 1 point...or 1 goal. Player bonuses, benefit for the team, these are massive massive things. Look at it the other way, lets say some team who ain't won no silverware, say Arsenal are on their last game of the season and they need 3 points to secure a win, you're playing for them, have done all your life, you know the players, the kitchen staff, the suits, everybody, it's like your family, you catch a crunching tackle just in the box and you KNOW that by staying down and perhaps making a little bit of a meal of it you could get a penalty, get your three points and win the fucking game...but you don't cuz it's against the rules. Would anybody really do that? I mean lets put right and wrong to one side for a minute, how would you look your mates in the face? Think of the money you've lost yourself, your squad, the joy and jubilation of winning the cup, that joy that your boys felt when Aguero belted it in the back of the net that time and the fuckin' stands of the Ethihad were weeping in joy, all those supporters, all your mates, all your own hopes and dreams and a seasons worth of hard fought matches...all gone for a toss just cuz you didn't just use your noddle for a coupla seconds, you didn't have that extra thing in you that professional football players have to take it all the way and get the job done and win the league.

Realistically now, we're human beings, who wouldn't if they could get away with it, when there's so much at stake? And OK i know every instance isn't as drastic as that but every point counts, every game counts, every goal counts, it's about the will to get the job done, the passion and the wit to improvise and do that little bit more just to see your team through. People semi pro do it, kids playing 5 a side do it...and we're talking about the premiership, ALL this fuckin' money on the line, you gotta be real here, it's not a game for those guys like it's a game for me and you, to sit there from your sofa or from the stands going 'ahhhhh, look at that diving bastard'. It's different man.

If it were me mate, i'd do 8 somersaults, drop like a bitch and weep til my mother felt it in her womb if it meant we'd get a pen, bury it and win the league, and as far as guilt, do me a favour, like the other side wouldn't do the same given half the chance, to see the stands of the Emirates roaring with fuckin' joy and my teammates jubilant and be part of a chapter of Arsenal history, God, nothing could be better than that :)

Edited by sugaraylen

I still never forget Robert Pires diving in the "unbeatables " season, you were losing and he fell over despite not having anybody near him.

Ended up drawing the match due to cheating and therefore remaining unbeaten.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/231369/Arsenal-s-Robert-Pires-dived-during-Invincibles-season-admits-Arsene-Wenger

Guest Len B'stard

Do you understand what I'm talking about on some level though? Don't you feel sick in the pit of your stomach when your team loses? Don't you feel like you wish they'd done something, ANYTHING to see the fuckin' result through? And I'm just a supporter, think how players must feel.

I still never forget Robert Pires diving in the "unbeatables " season, you were losing and he fell over despite not having anybody near him.

Ended up drawing the match due to cheating and therefore remaining unbeaten.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/231369/Arsenal-s-Robert-Pires-dived-during-Invincibles-season-admits-Arsene-Wenger

Fair play to him man, got the job done, didn't it? :lol: And which team can claim then ain't done it?

Len half the players don't give a shit if they win or lose, as long as they pick up their wages during the week.

Pretty much quoting what Torres said about life under AVB. "There were people who did not care if the team won as they were not playing, they only cared for themselves. I became one of them"

Kind of makes sense, he has been at the club since 08 when Harry took over and knows the players better than anyone.

I know it isn't really the same but before Pep took over at Barca he had only managed their youth side, now I am not saying Sherwood will be anywhere near as good as Pep but with the lack of quality managerial candidates who are available at the moment it makes sense.

I think the draw was the right result tonight, Chelsea looked the better threat as shown by the goal attempts, whereas Arsenal spent a lot of time in the middle doing very little.

If Arsenal had won that game I would have said it was undeserved, and similar for Chelsea but they just shaded it.

Shout out to the Referee who had a magnificent game, took conditions into account, didn't get card happy and let the game flow. A fiesty game and a proper 'Pride of London' derby match. I think that was one of the most enjoyable Chelsea matches I have watched recently.

Guest Len B'stard

Shit result, not pleased.

As for Sherwood, he was in the papers this morning talking about he's been an arsenal fan since he was a kid and his old man still goes to the Emirates and all that :lol: