The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

To me mata is a possession player. If he can get on ball all the time and work thw ball the game will be under control. Oscar creates more, scores out of nothing. Moron has always relied on wingers and an attack mid that scores like lampard.

How unsurprising, that's now united and chelsea players diving for penalties. So glad I support the team I do. Wow it's just hoof hoof up front from united.

Player, single. Also forgot to add Luis "shot in the back" Suarez.

The problem I have with football ATM is that we have Michael Owen saying that leaving your leg in for contact and getting penalties is good football, but Oscar does it and it's diving?

Welbeck and Young always leave their feet in and often kick the opponent to ensure contact, but nothing is said.

Either it's cheating or it isn't, I would like to see Ref's really clamp down on it.

Defenders need to stay on their feet in the box. Anyone knows that since the 60s. A kast ditch tackle is just that, if you miss its a peno. Theres a tendency to panic and just slide in, its risky, dont do it, the play will prob scuff it or sky it.

Guest Len B'stard

How unsurprising, that's now united and chelsea players diving for penalties. So glad I support the team I do. Wow it's just hoof hoof up front from united.

Player, single. Also forgot to add Luis "shot in the back" Suarez.

The problem I have with football ATM is that we have Michael Owen saying that leaving your leg in for contact and getting penalties is good football, but Oscar does it and it's diving?

Welbeck and Young always leave their feet in and often kick the opponent to ensure contact, but nothing is said.

Either it's cheating or it isn't, I would like to see Ref's really clamp down on it.

I feel Owens particular trouble is due in no small part to his being a massive (thought diminutive) cunt.

Italian and spanish league full of diving. In some ways it players protecting themselves but sometimes it's just diving. rooney did one, if your on the other side of the player to the ref he can't see. maybe another case of technology. or fines after the game. that might be better. you get suspended after the game for diving and cheating, biting or headbutts etc. ban everyone!

Guest Len B'stard

Michael owen is the worst co-commentator ever. So biased to united it's sickening. Plus he has nothing insightful to add and his voice is so dull.

The fuckin' cunt keeps peggin' Arsenal EVERY-time he comments on em. Now mans free to say what he wants and that but at the same time the way he does it is proper like...worded like a calculated insult.

Michael owen is the worst co-commentator ever. So biased to united it's sickening. Plus he has nothing insightful to add and his voice is so dull.

The fuckin' cunt keeps peggin' Arsenal EVERY-time he comments on em. Now mans free to say what he wants and that but at the same time the way he does it is proper like...worded like a calculated insult.

Owen is the worst. The Spurs United game earlier in the season he was criticizing every Tottenham player that went down and accused them of diving and then as soon as Welbeck dived in the box he said it was good play and justified.

That was the game I first heard him commentate on a united game and I was astounded. Everything united did was great whilst spurs were mmediocre. I don't get why he loves united so much, he played for liverpool the longest and I hear was an everton fan when he was a kid, so I don't get the love for all things united. Plus call me crazy but I thought commentators were supposed be impartial.

That was part of the problem for me, I was quite enjoying bt sports coverage of the football until I heard owen speak in that match. It was a welcome change from sky's loving of united until as I say owen did his commentating. A few members of sky punditry/commentators are still biased to the rags but yes neville has been a revelation. Never thought I would praise gary neville in my lifetime but credit where credits due he is completely impartial and down the middle.

Alan Smith, Niall Quinn, Charlie Nicholas and Paul Merson are all former Arsenal players so they never have anything bad to say about Arsenal and Alan Parry pretty much jizzes every time Arsenal do anything well. I've seen Arsenal players do a one-two 10 yards apart and Parry starts going out of his mind :lol:

I mean I'm not complaining, merely pointing out that as Sky have a large contingent of former Arsenal/ Liverpool players that they were for the most part highly positive about them.

Arsenal are Sky's favourite team, they don't like Wenger so much though and have been a driving force behind the pressure to remove him as manager.

Sky constantly say that Arsenal play the best football for 5-10 years now, but I would argue Man City in the title winning year played better, as did Chelsea when Ancelotti set the record for goals scored in the double winning season.

Traore has gone on loan to Holland, whilst Kakuta and Hutchinson have been recalled - funny that it would be those two just days after we were discussing them!

Guest Len B'stard

Do you lot watch the same Sky as me?!?! They rip the fuck out of us! Merson, fuck me, i had a quote of his in this thread days earlier having a pop at Arsenal, Dixon and Keown just spend the whole time trying to put across how better they were in their day.

Do you lot watch the same Sky as me?!?! They rip the fuck out of us! Merson, fuck me, i had a quote of his in this thread days earlier having a pop at Arsenal, Dixon and Keown just spend the whole time trying to put across how better they were in their day.

Well done mate, you just named a BBC and ITV pundit there :P

All of the Sky's pundits praise Arsenal endlessly with Merson being the only one who even slightly criticizes them. Countless times have I heard Alan Parry, Alan Smith or Niall Quinn commentating on an Arsenal game and a move breaks down because Arsenal try and play an intricate ball rather than shooting and they praise them for "a brilliant move" and then crucify teams who do exactly the same for not playing an easy ball or having a shot on target saying they should test the keeper.

This isn't a dig at them as I mentioned earlier it is to be expected when you have so many ex-Arsenal players there together and you have other players doing the same to their former teams, but due to the fact the majority of them are ex-Arsenal it comes across as being biased towards them. I mean when when have a team of 4 pundits and sometimes three of them are ex-Arsenal players you just expect it, much like Lawrenson and Hansen being pro Liverpool on the BBC.