The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Just watched the United game from yesterday in full, Harry Kane booting the ball 60 yards into the crowd from an offside position in the final minute made my day.

I saw that and said "Definitely worth getting a yellow card!" but I didn't see if he got one - presume he did though?

Nah, just plop him in the box. With Walcott, Ozil, Ramsey and Wilshire getting balls in there he will do just find. Do bear in mind he won't be first choice and will be a supporting player so Giroud can have a breather once in a while

Either that or you can play Yaya Sanogo.

Good player but bear this in mind, you will be spending £32m on a player unproven in the PL who may take a while to settle/ not want to move/ wouldn't necessarily be first choice. Soldado had an outstanding goalscoring record in Spain but he has struggled and he won't be fully settled until next season so why not spend £5m on a proven PL goalscorer who wouldn't care if he didn't play every game and could chip in when necessary.

Some of the Scottish papers have suggested that Celtic are preparing a 6 million bid for Steven Fletcher. Given the fiscal tightness of our board - as well as Fletcher being on 40 grand a week where he is - I doubt it.

Guest Len B'stard

I don't understand Soldado, i remember you lot buying him and me thinkin' 'ooooooh shit' and he just fuckin' draws a dud. Honesty, i think you've got a REALLY good squad and a really good level of talent and into the final third of this season you're gonna lively up a fair bit. It's sort of started now but i think it'll still be a touch patchy but you're gonna do alright, there is a lot of talent in that squad, they're just not quite clicking at the moment.

And sod that unproven in the EPL bollocks man, he's all there that one, with the sort of supply he'll be getting i don't see no issues. I think, if we get a proven goalscorer people are really gonna see Arsenal because our main problem for a while now has been the lack of a clinical finisher, a proper goal machine, one of those back-of-the-net-at-all-costs merchants. Should we get a shit-hot one then we're fuckin' off :)

Because Soldado has been getting shit service which ruined his confidence so now when he gets chances he fucks them up :lol:

What happens to Giroud then? You drop him for the new signing, alienate him and then he might want to leave once again leaving you with a lack of strikers. Unless you play two strikers and change your system which will take time to adapt too, Berba will get you the goals to win the league. Can you really see Wenger spending another £32m after spending £42m in the summer?

Guest Len B'stard

You make an interesting point actually but I could live with hurting Girouds feelings if it means we'll get the goal tally up. I really like how we are defensively at the moment though.

Berbatov? As we seem to be selling Defoe yes I wouldn't mind him. He is a proven quality player who can hold the ball up to feed other players such as Soldado, Eriksen and the wingers and he is very good in the box and like I said £2m is a steal for him.

Because Nicholas fucking Bendtner is such a prolific striker right? :lol:

I'm not saying he should be first name on the team sheet but he is a good reliable back up that can both score chances a d create them at the same time.

It's not just me mate, I've seen several articles with pundits saying that Berbatov would be a signing that would give more strength in depth and help Arsenal to the title.

Guest Len B'stard

Thats my point though, we don't need another Bendtner job. You're right though, more than a few voices are chirping up saying he'd be just the ticket for Arsenal. Can i let you in on something? He feels like a bit of a United reject :lol: Just don't sit well with me! A shit second hand United reject too. Now the likes of Pogba on the other hand...

Last night I did my evening workout whilst watching Hibs-Hearts (great result) and the game was really good for Scottish football.

Tonight my workout is in front of Gillingham Vs Wolves. I have no enthusiasm now!

Also, Clattenburk in trouble again, and has done nothing wrong again. It seems a bit funny that they would pick on him again..