Does Axl's 80s hair metal vocals make Chinese Democracy sound dated?

Towelie

Modern rock singers don't sing like that anymore. As fans, we expect that kind of raspy screech from Axl, but I can't help but laugh when I see some fanboys saying things like "Street Of Dreams had number 1 written all over it" or "This I Love could've been a huge hit."

Do you think Axl's outdated vocal style on Chinese Democracy dates the music?

CD music sounds great to me.

Just people expecting To hear more classic rock song, not the classy one.

something like another AFD kind of song when it comes to GNR, not some Axl's feeling song.

Lyrics on CD are somewhat Axl's cry moment and confession.

Yes, UYI has its 'Axl's cry moment' song, just CD has it all over the album, except the title track.

Look at these lyrics i quoted from each song on CD:

Shack

"No one is stopping you from doing what you want to do.

"I don't believe theres a reason"

Better

Better

"A broken heart provide the spark for my determination"

SOD

"What i thought was beautiful were lies i could not see"

ITW

"You're the only one i had ever love that have ever loved me"

TWAT

"there was a time i would do anything for you

"Broken glass and cigarettes, writing on the wall"

Catcher

"But everytime i see them makes me wishes i had a gun, if i thougt that i was crazy well i, guess i'll have more fun!

"You took our innocence beyond that stares"

Scraped

"Sometimes i feel like the world is on top of me breaking me down in an endless monotony"

Riad

"All my frustation"

Sorry: all over the song

IRS

"There's not anymore that i can do"

Maddy

"I won't be told anymore that i've been brought down the storm"

TIL

"Theres no one else could ever make me feel im so alive"

Prostitute: contains all axl's sad and unanswered question.

Those lyrics particularly are not fit of the brand name 'Guns N Roses' for those haters, and those who couldn't forget the classic lineup.

Happy ramadhan for all the moslems mygnr family has :D

Edited by aArief178

It's so sad that Axl could put in a couple hours and have great vocals on Angel Down, then when he records for his own band and has over a decade to do vocals he doesn't use much of his signature sound. Plus his double tracking is way too high in the mix.

I disagree with this assertion. Axl's trademark screeching vocals have always sort of been "not for everyone" but it's his signature sound.

There is no more "modern rock" as far as mainstream America is concerned. It's dead. You want Axl to sound like what? Nickelback?

Let's face it, Gn'R was never gonna take the world by storm again post-2003ish. Music is generally a young man's game. It's hard for a second act in this industry as far as being relevant to stupid teenagers.

Chinese is a fantastic record. It's overproduced, as everyone has said, but it's great to get new Axl songs. I look forward and hope there's a day we get more.