Don't you guys think there are way too many reality shows on TV?

TombRaider

Are there way too many reality shows on TV?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's ridiculous.

Decent channels are getting flooded with them. There's this one called Alpha Dogs, I wanted to watch it cuz it's supposed to be about training police/military dogs and stuff but it's the same reality tv bullshit as like, American Chopper basically. (For the record I don't watch those shows, they just seem like they *should* be good, but they aren't)

Yes...mainly because I'm really not into all the "chick flicky" ones - like the bachelor, hollywood wives (whatever), jersey shore, etc.....but I do like shows such as Duck Dynasty, Pawn Stars...and most of the History Channel/Discovery Channel reality shows.... :shrugs:

There was a time when the History Channel was a great channel if you loved WWII and stuff. And not only that, they also have very interesting documentaries about Egypt, China, Greece and mankind in general. I am so sad to see that it's now become another crappy channel showing stupid reality shows. What´s happened to our TV?

There was a time when the History Channel was a great channel if you loved WWII and stuff. And not only that, they also have very interesting documentaries about Egypt, China, Greece and mankind in general. I am so sad to see that it's now become another crappy channel showing stupid reality shows. What´s happened to our TV?

it has gone to shit that is fore sure, the retarded "reality" shows who have made celebrities out of morons has ruined tv. especially once great channels like history.

Guest Len B'stard

No, i like reality TV shows because they expose 90% of television for the tawdry peepshow that is the basic core of our compulsion to watch human beings onscreen, there is literally nowhere to go after Reality TV, I love it.

If you go back to "An American Family" from 1973, and the Albert Brooks satire "Real Life", even the "Up" documentaries, it was inevitable. "Depeche Mode 101" - Pennebaker was the one who kicked off "The Real World" "Road Rules" "Jersey Shore" type shows because half that film is following a bunch of teenagers from Long Island to Pasadena in an RV.

It was inevitable - there's hundreds of channels, and there's no shortage of willing participants making an ass out of themselves on camera, more so if there's money at the end. Sometimes they'll make the money in appearance fees - 4 figures to 6 figures for a few hours work and the autograph convention circuit where all they have to do is sit on their ass for a few days, scribble their Hancock, pose for photos and shoot the shit.

One of the most successful shows takes place in a trailer park. Jerry Springer brought people out of the trailer park for an expense paid trip to Chicago, now they just bring the cameras to them for a few weeks and observe.

The only time they have to worry is when they run out of ideas, but all they'll do is rehash it down the road.

The beauty of TV is that nobody is forcing you to watch shows you don't want to watch!!!!

We watch a couple of the reality tv cooking shows.

Not trying to argue or downplay your point - but I sort of disagree. I think it's a great thing that TV has expaned so much over the years. I remember the days when I was a kid and lived in a small Alaskan logging town and we literally had TWO channels.

I don't watch reality shows - but I'm glad there are a 100 different ones out there for people who DO like them to choose from.

My perfect TV schedule isn't going to match up with your perfect TV schedule. Yours isn't going to match up with........well, you get the point.

Definitely. What I want to know is? Who is the person who searches the country finding some of these people who are on these reality shows?

I mean Duck Dynasty? Who the fuck thought that would be a good show? These guys got to go to Hawaii. I don't watch the show, I was just flicking the channels and saw this.

Some of the shows are a guilty pleasure for me, but most of them are annoying as hell.

I thought for sure their 10 minutes of fame would be up, but no, everytime you turn around, there's another stupid reality show to take it's place or added to the list.

I just think it's crazy and I honestly think some of them are scripted or there are a lot of very stupid people in the world? Honey boo boo, anyone?

Edited by Val22

E

They're cheap to make and a lot of people watch them. They're going to be around for a long time.

Exactly. That's the main reason they're made is because it doesn't cost a lot of money as original programming does (actors, sets, scripts,film stock, etc) I know I hear tons of bitching on forums and threads on various sites but somehow they're still being made so somebody is watching them.

If I need my documentary fix, I go to YouTube.

Edited by Jabberwocky

I could do without all of the 'contest' shows. ie: American Idol, The Voice, America's got talent, etc..... I don't watch those shows at all, but they must get big ratings. I hate the reality shows to, haven't watched one in years. Did watch the original "Real World" on MTV for about 4 seasons, and The Osbournes for a little bit. But that was a long time ago.