What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

There's a scene at the end of the last Rambo that came out (IV I guess) where he kills like hundreds of people. After he finishes the last guy off, Rambo looks around and it just looks like he's so disappointed and depressed that there's no one left to kill.

Serpico, awesome film. New York, the 70s, Al Pacino doing his thing, corruption. It was great.

I have that in DVD but haven't watched it in a while. I think ill dust it off this weekend.

Watched Gangster Squad last night. It was pretty enjoyable.

Next on my pvr is Life of Pi

Edited by Coma16

Apocalypse Now, words fail me. Brando, despite only being onscreen for a very short period of time, is absolutely god-like. It's even more amazing when you consider that he engaged in absolutely no preparation (yet captured the notion of a cult personality effortlessly).

Very interesting performances by Robert Duvall and Dennis Hopper too.

Guest Len B'stard

Poison Ivy - Drew Barrymore, sort of like a teenie single white female.

Witness for the Prosecution - As fine a courtroom drama as you'll ever see, Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, a guy gets into some shit for murdering a woman he be-friended…but did he do it? Sick film, at the end while the credits roll this voiceover goes 'the owners of this theatre urge you to not repeat the ending of this film to your friends for the purposes of their own enjoyment'.

Apocalypse Now, words fail me. Brando, despite only being onscreen for a very short period of time, is absolutely god-like.

It definitely helps with that incredible cinematography.

Serpico, awesome film. New York, the 70s, Al Pacino doing his thing, corruption. It was great.

I have that in DVD but haven't watched it in a while. I think ill dust it off this weekend.

You definitely should. It is an awesome film.

Poison Ivy - Drew Barrymore, sort of like a teenie single white female.

Witness for the Prosecution - As fine a courtroom drama as you'll ever see, Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, a guy gets into some shit for murdering a woman he be-friendedbut did he do it? Sick film, at the end while the credits roll this voiceover goes 'the owners of this theatre urge you to not repeat the ending of this film to your friends for the purposes of their own enjoyment'.

Doppleganger is awesome drew movie too.

Guest Len B'stard

That film, along with Dog Day Afternoon, Scarecrow and Panic In Needle Park are like, career defining Pacino performances.

That film, along with Dog Day Afternoon, Scarecrow and Panic In Needle Park are like, career defining Pacino performances.

Indeed. Scarecrow is often overlooked.

Watched a bunch of movies today...

Lenny-Dustin Hoffman as Lenny Bruce, great film, 5 stars easy

Husbands-great Cassavetes film...

Gangster Squad--crap, wish I could have those 2 hours back

In The Valley Of Elah-ok, nothing special

now watching Sinister

Guest Len B'stard

Indeed. Scarecrow is often overlooked.

Watched a bunch of movies today...

Lenny-Dustin Hoffman as Lenny Bruce, great film, 5 stars easy

Husbands-great Cassavetes film...

FANTASTIC couple of movies!

Phantom of the Horror (1962 version). It is alright. Not Hammer at their best but still quite good. Lom's performance of the Phantom is superb. Michael Gough is good in it also.

Witchfinder General. More sadistic than any film that hitherto had appeared in British horror. It almost feels like an exploitation piece, like a snuff film or something or other. The fact director Michael Reeves, only aged 25, ODed just a few weeks after its release sort of makes it more disturbing, Price as Hopkins is truly one of the most menacing bad guys in cinema history.

Death Note (live action). The first one was alright I suppose but I turned off the second one because I got bored. Tatsuya Fujiwara annoys me for some reason as an actor: he annoyed me in Battle Royale also.

Also re-watched a lot of golden age Japanese cinema over the holidays, Tokyo Monogatari, Life of O-Haru, Stray Dog, The Bad Sleep Well etc.

Ball of Fire, The Lady Eve, Double Indemnity, The Bitter Tears of General Yen, Ladies They Talk About, The File on Thelma Jordan and a bunch more, courtesy of the Barbara Stanwyck festival at the Film Forum. Pop culture wise, she isn't usually included in the same Grand Dame league as Bette Davis, Joan Crawford and Katharine Hepburn, which is interesting, as she was actually the best and most versatile of all of them.

Edited by Angelica

I was reading about Stanwyck today as it happens. I was reading that she started out as the dancer Ruby Stevens at a speakeasy owned by the infamous Tex Guinian during Prohibition.

This I read in Bill Bryson's One Summer: America: 1927 which I am half way through. It is excellent by the way and worth picking-up if you are interested in that era in America, Lindberg and the early aviators, Capone, Babe Ruth (I am actually learning a lot about baseball!), Jazz music etc.

• Like 1

I was reading about Stanwyck today as it happens. I was reading that she started out as the dancer Ruby Stevens at a speakeasy owned by the infamous Tex Guinian during Prohibition.

This I read in Bill Bryson's One Summer: America: 1927 which I am half way through. It is excellent by the way and worth picking-up if you are interested in that era in America, Lindberg and the early aviators, Capone, Babe Ruth (I am actually learning a lot about baseball!), Jazz music etc.

She was a fascinating character, and she had an extraordinary career.

bar1_zps89b1d78c.jpg

bar2_zps54622c46.jpg

:wub:

Guest Len B'stard

I've seen most of her films actually. Wasn't she in Roustabout with Elvis towards the end of her career? Gimme Bette Davis any day though.

Edited by sugaraylen

She was in a groundbreaking film, Double Indeminity, which single handedly invented film noir. Incidentally Len, I have a good movie related anecdote from that book above I am reading concerning Clara Bow, the 'It' girl, the queen of the silent era. She was very promiscuous, she would be sleeping with around five men on the set of any given movie. Well, one time her then boyfriend arrives and enters her bedroom and senses there is another man in her room hiding in the cupboard. The boyfriend said something like, ''come out you yellow son of a bitch so I can knock your face off'' and out steps Jack Dempsey.

PS, stuff I have watched..

On the Waterfront. A masterpiece.

Gandhi. Excellent performance by Kingsley but hagiography. Dickie Attenborough left out the part where Gandhi slept naked with his niece and said that the Jews of the Holocaust should have ''thrown themselves off a cliff''.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Guest Len B'stard

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol: Belter!

Double Indemnity is amazing, one of the best movies i've ever seen, ever, point blank. Film Noir was really single handedly invented though Dies', it was a slow evolutionary process, loads and loads of movies came before that had many-a element of it, a lot of Paul Muni's works, I am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (or is it 'i was?'). Fury with Spencer Tracey is often cited, many others. Then again film noir is often a label tagged onto anything with some sort of vague nod to German Expressionism so I guess, in the sense of ticking all the boxes of what was the established formula perhaps you're right i.e. the fag smoking femme fatalle and the low lighting etc etc

Crackin' story though :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen