What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

The Rule of The Game

- French aristocratic farce. Overated.

not overated at all, did you see jean douchet's mind-blowing analysis of the film ? it's on the bfi dvd, very enlightening:

http://worldscinema.org/2012/10/pierre-oscar-levy-la-regle-du-jeu-de-jean-renoir-une-analyse-du-film-par-limage-1987/

Well it was wonderful satire and technically accomplished, but this is a film that is always in the 'top 5 greatest films ever'. I did not dislike it. I just thought it was overated a bit.

The Bicycle Thiefs.

Now there is a movie. Forget your Iron Man 3s - that sir, is a movie. There is this thing which only comes out through the acting. The guilt and horror on his face in the final reel. The man has been reduced in the eyes of his son. And of course it always, this film, reminds me of Roma and Italian people, Italian streetlife.

Fanny and Alexander

- Bergman late masterpiece.

Guest Len B'stard

Watched a movie on Charlie Richardson last night, the gangster. Watched half of it a while back but watched it all last night, it's got the bloke out of Bros in it, Luke Goss, was actually quite good :)

One of the best war movies ever made and the film which launced Caine who plays a toff, Lt. Bromhead. The battle scenes are outsanding. Also, one of the few films - at that time - to show war from both sides. The filmakers actually filmed in the real locations in Natal and used the real Zulu nation. Make sure you also check out Zulu Dawn which is a largely forgotten but underated prequel depicting the Battle of Isandlwanda - it has Peter O' Toole and Burt Lancaster in it.

One of the best war movies ever made and the film which launced Caine who plays a toff, Lt. Bromhead. The battle scenes are outsanding. Also, one of the few films - at that time - to show war from both sides. The filmakers actually filmed in the real locations in Natal and used the real Zulu nation. Make sure you also check out Zulu Dawn which is a largely forgotten but underated prequel depicting the Battle of Isandlwanda - it has Peter O' Toole and Burt Lancaster in it.

I actually have Zulu Dawn on my DVR. TCM had a Burt Lancaster-athon a month or so ago and I recorded the films I have yet to see

One of them was The Swimmer which at first I glossed over but by the end, it really moved me. It completely took me by surprise

Guest Len B'stard

Watched:

Stanley and Iris - Robert De Niro, Jane Fonda

Don Jon - some bloke and Scarlett Johanssen

Bordertown - Paul Muni, Bette Davis

I remember watching Weekend with a bunch of film student who just basically took the course for a doss, by the end they were like WHAT...THE...FUCK...was that about? :lol:

Watched:

Stanley and Iris - Robert De Niro, Jane Fonda

Don Jon - some bloke and Scarlett Johanssen

Bordertown - Paul Muni, Bette Davis

I remember watching Weekend with a bunch of film student who just basically took the course for a doss, by the end they were like WHAT...THE...FUCK...was that about? :lol:

All you need to know is "Distanction". Brecht did theatre where he put up signs on stage and basically disturbed the illusion. Godard took that to the max in film. That's all he is ever doing. Instead of voyeuristically exploring the French chicks tight sweater, he's trying to make a political point by breaking your concentration then injecting some lefty jargon into you. One of his quotes is "you should always eat a sandwich and smoke while watching a film" paraphrased a bit there.