What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Inside Llewyn Davis

Still my favorite of the year.

Loved it. It took the bad taste out of my mouth I had from watching Wolf Of Wall Street.

I just started Her...I have very high hopes for it. And after that, it's on to Dallas Buyers Club

Edited by axl666axl666

Karate Kid with Jackie Chan. I do not know why they did not ditch the title or rename it Kung Fu kid. It is not vintage Chan but its heart is in the right place. I really liked the relationship between the mother and son and I thought Smith's kid did a decent job. Nice use of locations also, the Forbidden City etc.

I have a Ozu boxset which I will be delving into tonight.

Dallas Buyers Club

What did you think of that movie? I was really moved by it.

I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. I was expecting very good performances from Leto and McConaughey but thought the movie would be dressing to their meat. But I was wrong.

Totally caught off guard by it. I remember those times well enough and know enough people that have died of AIDS over the years that it resonated with me as well

Exactly, it catches you off guard. I was expecting the performances of McConaughey and Leto to the carry the film, but the story itself was just as impressive.

Early Spring

- Ozu masterpiece.

Brothers and Sisters of the Toda Family

- a sort of precursor to Tokyo Story. Wartime film so Ozu had to pass it through the nationalist censors. Consequentially you get some propaganda elements: the war in China, you get a sense that China is somewhere people should go to ‘make a fortune’ (leaving out the, ‘exploiting the nation’ aspect etc etc). Still a very interesting movie. A little more fluid acting and I would almost call it Tokyo Story’s equal.