What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Films from Hitch's oft-criticised latter day, post-Birds, phrase...

Marnie

Flawed masterpiece with - classic Bond era - Connery. The main problem with the movie is, it is pulling in too many directions. There are lots however to enjoy about the film including a robbery scene which is, the master at his finest.

Torn Curtain

Newman/Andrews fail to ignite in this, fairly decent cold war espionage caper. I actually really like Torn Curtain. True, it is no masterpiece, no 39 Steps, but it is still fairly gripping stuff.

Topaz

Iffy cold war espionage film. Not Hitch at his best but still floats along reasonably well - Hitch on a bad day is still better than most filmmakers on a good day. It is a bit, TV movieish mind.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Guest Len B'stard

I could never really get on the espionage ones? I enjoyed them immensely just purely on a cinematic level but i don't enjoy the storylines so much.

I could never really get on the espionage ones? I enjoyed them immensely just purely on a cinematic level but i don't enjoy the storylines so much.

Are you including his British films there, the ones he made for Gaumont, e.g. 39 Steps and Secret Agent? Those are some of the greatest British films ever.

Guest Len B'stard

Are you including his British films there, the ones he made for Gaumont, e.g. 39 Steps and Secret Agent? Those are some of the greatest British films ever.

Don't get me wrong, they're not all totally intolerable, it's just not my genre of choice. 39 Steps is a belter although now i think about it, i can't remember fuck all of Secret Agent, probably all come flooding back to me if i had a peek at the synopsis.

Y'know what Hitchcock film i love? The one in the lifeboat, can't remember the name now or the name of anyone in it except this one bird, famous acctress who has the most wonderful sounding name ever, can't remember what the fuck it was though! Tallulah Bankhead, thats it...i think? I'm getting old y'know, i can't remember who was in what anymore. She did some stage work with Brando early on, an absolute Goddess of stage and screen, were there ever a time machine invented, my first port of call would be to go back in time and see if i couldn't get a tumble out of her :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

It would not be hard, getting a tumble with her. Tallulah Bankhead had an affair with just about all of Hollywood, male, female. Hitch always had the best looking women in his films (apart from Frenzy where they are a bit skanky). The film is just Lifeboat by the way, released 1944; the film is the first in which he restricted the location, a device he returned to later on The Rope and Rear Window.

Guest Len B'stard

I love the restricted location ones the most because they are psychological and human and they grab your attention. See i've never been a big one for fantasy in films, sci fi or like goblins and all that bollocks, even more mystical type horror although i love a good slasher type movie but movies where it's people interacting with people i find fascinating. Deep down i think I would've been a fan of theatre more than cinema had i ever been exposed to it because i just LOVE that limited setting stuff, i find it utterly gripping. They get the best out of directors, cinematographers, actors...the limited setting demands performances from all parties or it'll fall apart.

Edited by sugaraylen

Len, have you seen The Wrong Man, Henry Fonda, Vera Miles? I think you will love it; if you hate the Police, you will love it. It also has elements of social realism, not areas you normally associate with Hitch, in it. It is probably my favourite Hitchcock film.

Do you like Frenzy? It is such a 'London' film, I think you will like it also. Such a return to form also, after three flawed films (Marnie-Torn Curtain-Topaz).

Guest Len B'stard

Yup, even Jamaica Inn. I've even seen that film he did where it was filming like, post WW2, i think it was on the holocaust, a little short thing.

Frenzys the tie strangler one isn't it? Yeah, love that film. Seen The Wrong Man too, seen all of Hitchcocks films actually :)

a few months ago, cable channel Turner Classic Movies showcased Hitchcock for an entire month of Sundays and I was able to catch a lot of films of his that I'd never seen, as they showed a lot of his lesser known works:

The Ring

The Farmer's Wife

The Manxman

Blackmail

Murder

The Skin Game

Rich And Strange

Number Seventeen

Sabotage

Young And Innocent

Foreign Correspondent

Lifeboat

Under Capricorn

Stage Fright

I Confess

Family Plot

He has a lot of buried masterpieces, or near-masterpieces, like I Confess, The Wrong Man, LifeBoat et al. Some of them were boxoffice flops, some of them were box office hits, but for some reason they are not talked about as often as Rear Window, Pyscho or Vertigo - or even, Rebecca, Notorious or Strangers on a Train. The interesting thing about Vertigo was it was a flop and disliked when it was released but has since been hailed as a masterpiece of deep psychological and sexual complexity (sounding like an arsey movie critic there). Truffaut loved it.

There is a boxset of his British films which I need to get as there are a few gaps there. I have the 14 disc boxset of most of his Paramount/Universal films and the smaller boxset with the Warners films and North by Northwest but I still need to get his British one. If you have all three, there is really just the Selznick '40s era films to collect individually (and Too Catch A Thief which is still owned by Paramount).

Guest Len B'stard

He has a lot of buried masterpieces, or near-masterpieces, like I Confess, The Wrong Man, LifeBoat et al. Some of them were boxoffice flops, some of them were box office hits, but for some reason they are not talked about as often as Rear Window, Pyscho or Vertigo - or even, Rebecca, Notorious or Strangers on a Train. The interesting thing about Vertigo was it was a flop and disliked when it was released but has since been hailed as a masterpiece of deep psychological and sexual complexity (sounding like an arsey movie critic there). Truffaut loved it.

There is a boxset of his British films which I need to get as there are a few gaps there. I have the 14 disc boxset of most of his Paramount/Universal films and the smaller boxset with the Warners films and North by Northwest but I still need to get his British one. If you have all three, there is really just the Selznick '40s era films to collect individually (and Too Catch A Thief which is still owned by Paramount).

You can download his entire filmography in one torrent and just plow through the bastard if you just wanna see it, quicker and easier if you just wanna see em it first, while you're waiting to get the money to get all the spread out various releases on DVD.

A Face In The Crowd

The Two Mrs. Carrolls

A Face in the Crowd is a stone masterpiece. The Two Mrs. Carrolls...not so much, although, Bogart and Stanwyck are splendid and elevate the materiel somewhat.

I had never seen The Two Mrs Carrolls before. Agreed, not a masterpiece but highly enjoyable albeit a tad too long.

Edited by axl666axl666

You can download his entire filmography in one torrent and just plow through the bastard if you just wanna see it, quicker and easier if you just wanna see em it first, while you're waiting to get the money to get all the spread out various releases on DVD.

I have seen all of them apart from one or two of his early silents. I am collecting them you see.

Jackie Brown

Probably Quentin's second best film.

The Trouble with Harry

- Hitch comedy. Not his greatest film by any measure but, fun.

I don't think I've seen a Hitchcock film all the way through apart from Rear Window.

Not even Psycho and The Birds? I am speechless! I thought everybody had seen Psycho?

Edited by DieselDaisy

Jackie Brown

Probably Quentin's second best film.

The Trouble with Harry

- Hitch comedy. Not his greatest film by any measure but, fun.

I don't think I've seen a Hitchcock film all the way through apart from Rear Window.

Not even Psycho and The Birds? I am speechless! I thought everybody had seen Psycho?

I saw the remake all the way through. I've watched parts of it maybe all of it out of order. I seen all Hitchcock films on tv so I just switch channels.

Vertigo I read the book. So in saw the ending on tv. I think I've seen Rope all the way too.

I think I've seen Psycho 2 or 3. There's a body parts in the ice box. In color.

Edited by wasted

The remake is terrible. The sequels are not too bad - Psycho 2, the one with Vera Miles, is actually rather good - but none of them are a patch on Hitch's 1960 masterpiece. You know it was all premeditated, the decision to film a low budget black and white indie with no major stars? It would have actually been easier for Hitchcock to film another North by Northwest for one of the studios, another colour epic with Grant or Stewart. Hitch funded Psycho himself; the studios would not touch it (Universal allowed him to film on their lot while Paramount agreed to distribute it). He got the guys from his television show to crew it.