What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Jack Nicholson also had a hell of a run from Easy Rider thru Batman

Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, Carnal Knowledge, Drive He Said, The King Of Marvin Gardens, The Last Detail, Chinatown, The Passenger, The Fortune, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Goin South, Tommy, The Missouri Breaks, The Shining, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Reds, The Border, Terms Of Endearment, Prizzi's Honor, Heartburn, The Witches Of Eastwick, Broadcast News, Ironweed, Batman

That's just incredible.

• Like 1

I'm with you on Duvall and Hackman. Their long filmographies speak for themselves...

Hackman's retired though. Good for him though in getting out before he embarrassed himself.

And again, Pacino is so amazingly overrated. Scarface is literally one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Never ever understood the appeal

The think with Pacino is that he's become such a fucking sacred cow. Infinitely more so than De Niro. Though in all fairness, in his best stuff (Dog Day, Panic in Needle Park, Godfather, Serpico, Scarecrow) he's a stunningly beautiful, accessible actor. He's just way too prone to ticks and mannerisims and a lot of stuff that is quite literally the opposite of what constitutes good acting. He's lucky he's so charismatic. He wouldn't have thrived so over the last two decades on the strength of his work.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 1

I have to say that I give a lot of credit to Michael Douglas for taking on the role of Liberace as that is not an easy role to play at all.

especially for a guy so proud of his macho manliness

Edited by axl666axl666

I actually liked Pacino in that Adam Sandler movie he did.

:lol: I actually liked the whole fucking movie. I blame it on Armound White's instantly notorious review - http://cityarts.info/2011/11/11/plumbing-ethnicity-sandler%E2%80%99s-jack-jill-and-tyler-perry/

I know it's frequently impossible to gauge where the genuine opinion starts and the trolling ends with White, but you can't tell me that's not a fascinating perspective.

:lol: I actually liked the whole fucking movie. I blame it on Armound White's instantly notorious review - http://cityarts.info/2011/11/11/plumbing-ethnicity-sandler%E2%80%99s-jack-jill-and-tyler-perry/

I know it's frequently impossible to gauge where the genuine opinion starts and the trolling ends with White, but you can't tell me that's not a fascinating perspective.

That's the first time I've read that review.....and at first glance, I agree with the whole piece!! (hopefully he's being genuine and not trolling too much!)

The movies he does mention as Sandler's best comedic works are off the mark though, apart from Spanglish....so now I'm not sure what to fucking think

That's the first time I've read that review.....and at first glance, I agree with the whole piece!! (hopefully he's being genuine and not trolling too much!)

The movies he does mention as Sandler's best comedic works are off the mark though, apart from Spanglish....so now I'm not sure what to fucking think

I know, I think aside from Spanglish, those actually are his three worst films.

Totally agree.

Grown Ups is just awful. I can't bear to watch the second one.

I actually like Sandler and if you look at his career, he's made more good films than you'd initially think.

Totally agree.

I actually like Sandler and if you look at his career, he's made more good films than you'd initially think.

I like him too, but he suspect the winners will be even fewer and further between as gets further into middle age. He plays it safe too much.

Totally agree.

I like him too, but he suspect the winners will be even fewer and further between as gets further into middle age. He plays it safe too much.

It seems the times when he's stretched a bit, the films didn't fare well at the box office. I hope that doesn't dissuade him from branching out, but I suspect you're right. He does have a whole team that he uses for most of his films and I would assume he wants to keep them working and paid and I would guess that's another factor in his decision making process.

Recently watched The Place Beyond the Pines-pretty good

Identity Thief-okay

Mama-horrible, waste of time. Got sucked in by del Toro's name.......

This is 40-okay

Re-watched The Ides of March-great movie and Martha Marcy May Marlene-very good, thought provoking

Been debating on watching Only God Forgives.....read some terrible reviews. But normally (not based on most of the above selection of course :lol:) I love dark, dramatic,indie films.

EDIT: Just scrolled through the last several pages of this thread and I am now sure I will be laughed at for posting this...Oh, well. What the hell, right?

Edited by sweetchild88

Recently watched The Place Beyond the Pines-pretty good

Identity Thief-okay

Mama-horrible, waste of time. Got sucked in by del Toro's name.......

This is 40-okay

Re-watched The Ides of March-great movie and Martha Marcy May Marlene-very good, thought provoking

Been debating on watching Only God Forgives.....read some terrible reviews. But normally (not based on most of the above selection of course :lol:) I love dark, dramatic,indie films.

EDIT: Just scrolled through the last several pages of this thread and I am now sure I will be laughed at for posting this...Oh, well. What the hell, right?

Don't bother with Only God Forgives...trust me ;)

The Place Beyond The Pines was good. Cooper is steadily moving up the ranks. He's only getting better

This Is 40 was ok, would have been much better if it wasn't so damn long.

Martha Marcy May Marlene was fantastic! Great performance by Olsen

....and I too got sucked into Mama :anger:

Edited by axl666axl666
  • Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Do not forget Benard Hermann's score, the score on the part where she is driving. It is my second favourite of his scores.

Oh definitely...and not only then but throughout the film, that and the shower scene parts of the score are really well remembered but it works just as well when the scenes are switching or when Arbogast is going on up towards the house or when Vera Miles is kinda walking around the house the first time, now i think about it is possibly one of the most effective uses of music in popular cinema that I can think of.