What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Going to watch Nebraska tonight. Aside from Philonema, it's the only 'Best Picture' nomination I haven't seen for this year.

I saw Philomena the other day to complete my best pic viewing...it was good but Nebraska is by far my favorite

I'm hearing great things about Nebraska so I'm looking forward to watching it. I really liked The Descendants last year so hoping I'll like this one as well.

some of the same themes for sure

it's just a great movie, great performances from the whole cast

Philomena is a sweet film, and it handles its necessary shifts in tone quite deftly. It also has no business being nominated for Best Picture, especially in such a strong year. Of course, pick any other year of the last decade or so and it would be the frontrunner, so it's afterthought nomination is probably not worth complaining about.

Edited by Angelica

Philomena is a sweet film, and it handles its necessary shifts in tone quite deftly. It also has no business being nominated for Best Picture, especially in such a strong year. Of course, pick any other year of the last decade or so and it would be the frontrunner, so it's afterthought nomination is probably not worth complaining about.

I also don't think Captain Phillips should be nominated...nor The Wolf Of Wall Street, but Scorsese always seems to get his films in there

I also don't think Captain Phillips should be nominated...nor The Wolf Of Wall Street, but Scorsese always seems to get his films in there

I disagree with you about Wolf. I would've replaced Phillips and Philomena with Llewyn Davis and Blue Jasmine. It's still a much better roster than usual, though.

• Like 1

I disagree with you about Wolf. I would've replaced Phillips and Philomena with Llewyn Davis and Blue Jasmine. It's still a much better roster than usual, though.

Inside Llewyn Davis is by far the biggest snub of the year

I'd take out Wolf and replace it with The Spectacular Now

Blue Jasmine should be in there too...9 is an odd number, they should have made it 10.

Inside Llewyn Davis is by far the biggest snub of the year

I'd take out Wolf and replace it with The Spectacular Now

Blue Jasmine should be in there too...9 is an odd number, they should have made it 10.

If it had been a slower year for actors, Teller might've had a shot at a nomination. He will soon enough, as long as he stops with the awful frat boy comedies.

I suspect Llewyn was so cynical about show business that some voters may have been put off by it? That's all that makes sense to me.

I wouldn't have minded a nomination for Frances Ha either.

i just read that Greta Gerwig is set to star in a spinoff of How I Met Your Mother :blink:

I just saw that on my Facebook feed!? That's a very odd decision, although I'm sure she'll be paid handsomely, but...yeah :blink: I wonder if Noah approves?

I wouldn't have minded a nomination for Frances Ha either.

i just read that Greta Gerwig is set to star in a spinoff of How I Met Your Mother :blink:

I just saw that on my Facebook feed!? That's a very odd decision, although I'm sure she'll be paid handsomely, but...yeah :blink: I wonder if Noah approves?

Noah has been involved with my fav actress of all time, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Gerwig, who before this spinoff debacle news, was quickly rising up my list. I have yet to see her in anything I've not liked. And I haven't seen Arthur to spoil that, and I never plan on it seeing it!

I've been on a Redford kick lately. It's amazing how young he still looks and acts. How old is he? 78 or something like that? Amazing, that age and the performance he put in

I don't deny the talent, but I struggle with him a bit. He's so WASPY, he often bores me and I end up imagining what Beatty would've done with the role. Newman brought a certain verve out of him in Sundance and The Sting, that I find lacking a lot of the time elsewhere.

I've been on a Redford kick lately. It's amazing how young he still looks and acts. How old is he? 78 or something like that? Amazing, that age and the performance he put in

I don't deny the talent, but I struggle with him a bit. He's so WASPY, he often bores me and I end up imagining what Beatty would've done with the role. Newman brought a certain verve out of him in Sundance and The Sting, that I find lacking a lot of the time elsewhere.

I understand completely what you're saying.

I would never put him in the upper echelon of actors..he's more of a movie star but he does have talent.

A lot of his movies of the past 30-35 years are very same-y feeling. He always seems to be on the run from something