What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

I think 2013 was one of the best years for film in general in many, many years. I remember in 2010 there were barely any films I could recall enjoying, Toy Story 3 was like the best movie of the year and maybe Inception was up there as far as blockbusters, but there wasn't much diversity in terms of indie, studio, foreign films etc.

This year we've had a lot of great sleeper hits early on in the year, great low-key stuff, the big studio/blockbuster films that were solid, then all the award bait pictures were great too. Not to mention a few spectacular foreign movies. It's been one of the only years where I've had trouble even thinking of all the stand-out pictures because there are so many.

I do have to say that I found Gravity to be really overrated, though. Don't see what all the fuss is about except perhaps that the 3D experience gave it an extra layer somehow that wowed people. As a 2D picture on my TV I found its special effects interesting (but not as perfect as people claimed) and its plot rather basic and predictable. If Bullock gets the award I'll be annoyed.

I think 2013 was one of the best years for film in general in many, many years. I remember in 2010 there were barely any films I could recall enjoying, Toy Story 3 was like the best movie of the year and maybe Inception was up there as far as blockbusters, but there wasn't much diversity in terms of indie, studio, foreign films etc.

This year we've had a lot of great sleeper hits early on in the year, great low-key stuff, the big studio/blockbuster films that were solid, then all the award bait pictures were great too. Not to mention a few spectacular foreign movies. It's been one of the only years where I've had trouble even thinking of all the stand-out pictures because there are so many.

I do have to say that I found Gravity to be really overrated, though. Don't see what all the fuss is about except perhaps that the 3D experience gave it an extra layer somehow that wowed people. As a 2D picture on my TV I found its special effects interesting (but not as perfect as people claimed) and its plot rather basic and predictable. If Bullock gets the award I'll be annoyed.

I was awed by the effects the first time, but I saw it in 3D IMAX. It doesn't hold up to a repeat viewing. Even in 3D IMAX. What the hell is the point of going to so much trouble and expense to create what's clearly supposed to be a hyper immersive experience, only to let George Clooney remind you you're just watching a movie every fucking time he's on screen?

If anyone but Blanchet wins, that person should just take the award, walk back down the stairs, hand it to her and apologize. But if there's an upset, I suspect it will be Adams who hears their name called.

Edited by Angelica

Guest Len B'stard

The Strange One - Ben Gazzara, George Peppard, Pat Hingle, a bully in a 1950s Military academy gets his comeuppance, really tense film with subtle as a sledgehammer homoerotic undertones. Fair play though it was the 50s so it was a pretty good achievement having em at all.

Jesus, there are THREE 80s remakes (two of which were terrible in the first place) opening this week?!

what else besides RoboCop?

and is there nothing worthwhile about Monuments Men? I'm debating what to watch tonight and that's one of the choices

Jesus, there are THREE 80s remakes (two of which were terrible in the first place) opening this week?!

what else besides RoboCop?

and is there nothing worthwhile about Monuments Men? I'm debating what to watch tonight and that's one of the choices

Endless fucking Love and About Last fucking Night.

Monuments irked me all to hell. It has handsome production values and Murray and Balaban are delightful. That's all I've got.

If Jim Belushi were in the remake of About Last fucking Night, I would see it. Just to see that after 30 years, he's still the worst fucking actor alive.

Maybe I'll watch The Lego Movie then...but it's hard to pass up Bill Murray in anything

If Jim Belushi were in the remake of About Last fucking Night, I would see it. Just to see that after 30 years, he's still the worst fucking actor alive.

Maybe I'll watch The Lego Movie then...but it's hard to pass up Bill Murray in anything

Belishi and Elizabeth Perkins steal the original, though. It would be unbearable without them. Although watching a pre West Wing Lowe and Moore try and own David Mamet's dialogue is pretty hilarious in its own right.

The Lego Movie is quite sweet. What about Robocop?

Belishi and Elizabeth Perkins steal the original, though. It would be unbearable without them. Although watching a pre West Wing Lowe and Moore try and own David Mamet's dialogue is pretty hilarious in its own right.

The Lego Movie is quite sweet. What about Robocop?

I'm not a big fan of the original Robocop(s) so I'll pass. I do like the guy playing Robo though. Was a big fan of him in The Killing

Jim Belushi killed it in The Principal....one of my all time favorite 80's bad movies. He rubs me the wrong way though most of the time, going back to his Saturday Night Live days, when he was painfully unfunny.

And to be honest, I don't really remember About Last Night so well...I always confuse it with St Elmo's Fire

Edited by axl666axl666

Robocop wasn't shit, but it wasn't memorable. It's an instantly forgettable piece of popcorn.

The serious drawback of it is that it has no real villains beyond one character who was so flat that he belonged in a bad television show. Pretty poor when you consider the original film had two sadistic wolves that made Murphy's revenge such a bloody delight.

Also, for an action movie, there was a conspicuous amount of action missing. A lot of existential pondering.