What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Guest Len B'stard

Besides Wolf of Wall St, rewatched a bunch of Hitch's, Rope, Rear Window, Strangers (with the dvd commentary), Dial M etc - I think I am addicted as I only just rewatched some of these last month!

I was gonna say, didn't you watch those last week or something? :lol:

Finding the Funk...a history of funk music

I'd like to see that, is it any good? :)

Besides Wolf of Wall St, rewatched a bunch of Hitch's, Rope, Rear Window, Strangers (with the dvd commentary), Dial M etc - I think I am addicted as I only just rewatched some of these last month!

I was gonna say, didn't you watch those last week or something? :lol:

Finding the Funk...a history of funk music

I'd like to see that, is it any good? :)

yeah it's good...nothing world beating or anything but good

they talk to all the right people, all the big names and other bands like Slave that were highly influential but got lost in the shuffle a bit

and fucking hell, if you think Axl's voice is shot, you should hear George Clinton's!

Guest Len B'stard

To Catch A Thief and Suspicion. Cary Grant's a smooth bastard, isn't he?

Out of that generation and that breed of actors he's the one i like the least for some reason. And even he's fairly brilliant.

To Catch A Thief and Suspicion. Cary Grant's a smooth bastard, isn't he?

Out of that generation and that breed of actors he's the one i like the least for some reason. And even he's fairly brilliant.

I wouldn't put him in my top 50 all time, and probably not top 100 either

Cary Grant is a legend, one of the all time greats. Grant made an image of himself as the affable comedic smoothie in screwball and romantic comedies of the '40s. Hitchcock selected Grant when he wanted someone slick, transatlantic and Bondesque. When Hitch wanted the 'everyman American', he selected Jimmy Stewart.

The Thin Man

Oh, god I adore that franchise, even the the last couple which are objectively terrible. Myrna Loy :wub:

Cary Grant wasn't a great actor, but he was as great a movie star as one could hope for. Also arguably, the handsomest man who ever lived. Paul Newman is his only serious competition.

Edited by Angelica

The Thin Man

Oh, god I adore that franchise, even the the last couple which are objectively terrible. Myrna Loy :wub:

Cary Grant wasn't a great actor, but he was as great a movie star as one could hope for. Also arguably, the handsomest man who ever lived. Paul Newman is his only serious competition.

Somehow or another, I've never seen a Nick and Nora film before. This was my first foray and I look forward to seeing more

The Thin Man

Somehow or another, I've never seen a Nick and Nora film before. This was my first foray and I look forward to seeing more

They're more obscure nowadays than they should be, especially considering the scope of their influence. There was talk of Burton and Depp rebooting it, but that thankfully hit the skids.

Granted Cary Grant was a bit of a one trick pony however he had a gift for comic timing which was impeccable and never failed to form a chemistry with his leading lady which was not always the case with other actors (cf. Newman and Andrews in the Torn Curtain). Alfred Hitchcock said of Grant, ''the only actor I ever loved in my whole life.''

Granted Cary Grant was a bit of a one trick pony however he had a gift for comic timing which was impeccable and never failed to form a chemistry with his leading lady which was not always the case with other actors (cf. Newman and Andrews in the Torn Curtain). Alfred Hitchcock said of Grant, ''the only actor I ever loved in my whole life.''

You're right, he was very gifted when it came to comedy. He and Katharine Hepburn in particular, were at their best together.

Edited by Angelica