What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Short Cuts

That's a good one.

I just saw Philomena. Excellent.

Short Cuts finished up my Altman filmography-watching. I had never seen it before despite owning it once on VHS and once on DVD!

Philomena was indeed excellent. Always good to see Coogan

Leave Her To Heaven

So gloriously fucked up!

it was odd to see what is basically a film noir shot in bright technicolor!

and wonder if it in some way inspired stephen king to write misery in a roundabout way

For the era, it's still quite shocking. The technicolor (and use of color in general) is startling.

Tierney had the most beautiful of all possible faces. Or at least ties with Elizabeth Taylor.

All That Jazz

Roy Scheider was one of the best actors of that time and then he just kinda got left behind :(

Oh god, I love that film. Was lucky enough to see it in a theatre last month. Might be my favourite last ten minutes of anything, besides Nashville.

American Hustle.

Boring. The soundtrack is the best part.

To me the soundtrack seemed out of place, kind of threw the movie off even more. The song selection was questionable IMO

I thought the movie was just a little too long...could have cut about 20 minutes out of it to have given it a "faster" pace.

I've been on a movie watching binge lately....watched: Best Man Down, Meeting Evil, The Killing Jar, Escape Plan, The Purge and Prisoners all within the last couple of days.

I thought they all were pretty decent movies....I wasn't expecting Meeting Evil and The Killing Jar to be as good as they were but both were entertaining...although both had some "ughh....that was some bad acting/editing moments".

Edited by Kasanova King

Intermezzo

The film, based on her Swedish original, which broke Ingrid Bergman in the west. Nice romantic drama. Selznick.

The Paradine Case

Final Hitchcock-Selznick collaboration. Courtroom drama with Greogory Peck. Flopped at the time and largely dismissed by Hitchcock in later years but a much better movie than all that suggests - excellent in fact.

Island in the Sun

Controversial for the time, interracial Carribean drama with an all star cast (Fontaine, James Mason, Joan Collins et al.). Watch out for John Williams, a great character actor (he basically plays the same role in Hitch's Dial M for Murder).

Guest Len B'stard

Watched a feature length movie version of the old 80s TV show Just Good Friends created by John Sullivan, starring Paul Nicholas and Jan Francis.