What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Going through some more Bette Davis films...

Deception

Reunites the team behind Now, Voyager. It is a good film this. Not as good as Now, Voyager but still good with some nice noir camera work. (I have seen tons of films with Claude Rains recently by the way: Mr Skiffington, Notorious).

Watch on the Rhine

The World War Two propaganda dates the film tremendously.

Part 3 is vastly underrated. Not an all time great by any means but not deserving of the scorn it's always received.

If they would have just left the whole "affair with the cousin" thing out of it, it would have done so much better...what were they thinking? :lol:

In This Our Life

By far the best of the Bette Davis films I got in this boxset (Deception is close second). Classic, archetypical, Davis performance really. Also has Olvia de Havilland.

The Great Lie

Decent film, pairing an uncharacteristic Davis up against Mary Astor. Not flawless but it keeps you watching.

The Old Maid

American Civil War era melodrama with Miriam Hopkins. Did not really work for me as a script.

Guest Len B'stard

Next Day Air - Mike Epps...a lot better than i expected, thought it'd be kinda low rent but it's actually a pretty good film. And the Puerto Rican bird in it, JESUS CHRIST!!! Sooooo fit..

86295353.jpg

According to this she's dominican

Edited by sugaraylen

Yesterday was good, had movie night with friend, DVD Lady, saw 3 films but after the 2nd I decided to comb my hair, my friend did the same...

I saw

Grudge Match (2013)

A Belfast Story (2013)

Both good, the third was... I saw it, it was on in the background... Haunted (2013) but again, I didn't watch it, but it was on.

Edited by Snake-Pit
  • Like 1

Watched Elysium yesterday, was pretty good - better than I expected. Would recommend if you haven't seen it.

Did you see District 9? I liked both movies (same director), but I think I liked District 9 better overall.

I did see District 9. It's a shame Sharlto hasn't appeared much in American film outside of the Blomkamp films - though Wikipedia says he's working on some stuff coming out soon. I would agree that District 9 was better, still liked Elysium though.

The Punk Singer

doc about Kathleen Hanna

Total valentine, but she totally deserves it, so it works.

Re Divergent, it's weak, but that's what I expected. Nowhere near as decent as Hunger Games, and not as endearingly, campily terrible as Twilight. Just sort of...overly familiar and dull. Woodley has chops but she doesn't make anything of the role. I was only really engaged when Miles Teller was skulking about, the love interest guy was a snooze.

Edited by Angelica

The Punk Singer

doc about Kathleen Hanna

Total valentine, but she totally deserves it, so it works.

Re Divergent, it's weak, but that's what I expected. Nowhere near as decent as Hunger Games, and not as endearingly, campily terrible as Twilight. Just sort of...overly familiar and dull. Woodley has chops but she doesn't make anything of the role. I was only really engaged when Miles Teller was skulking about, the love interest guy was a snooze.

Loved the doc. Hanna'a one of the most important musical figures of the past 25 years and the film was well done.

The Divergent books aren't strong either. They are clearly inspired by The Hunger Games trilogy but fall short. They're not terrible by any means and that's why I was expecting better from the film. The cast made me expect even more

Did you like it?

I was underwhelmed by it. I just read the trilogy and had high hopes for it

They are clearly inspired by The Hunger Games trilogy but fall short. They're not terrible by any means and that's why I was expecting better from the film. The cast made me expect even more

Pretty much this. A poor man's version of The Hunger Games.

• Like 1

Did you like it?

I was underwhelmed by it. I just read the trilogy and had high hopes for it

They are clearly inspired by The Hunger Games trilogy but fall short. They're not terrible by any means and that's why I was expecting better from the film. The cast made me expect even more

Pretty much this. A poor man's version of The Hunger Games.

I remember the week it came out (March 22nd or so), and I was bored so I checked to see what was in theaters. A trailer for Divergent popped up, and until the end when it said the title I genuinely thought it was the next Hunger Games movie (though to be fair, I've never seen either of the Hunger Games films, so my eye wasn't trained for that). The fact that it was "eh" really just goes to show that this is a fairly blatant Hollywood attempt to sell you the same thing twice.

Tonight was a good night. Watched What Ever Happened To Baby Jane and Bette Davis blew my mind. What a great movie. Incredible acting. Stunning execution.

Then I watched 12 Angry Men for the first time. Greatest movie I have seen this year so far. Definitely enters my all time greatest Top 5. Speechless.

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 1

I remember the week it came out (March 22nd or so), and I was bored so I checked to see what was in theaters. A trailer for Divergent popped up, and until the end when it said the title I genuinely thought it was the next Hunger Games movie (though to be fair, I've never seen either of the Hunger Games films, so my eye wasn't trained for that). The fact that it was "eh" really just goes to show that this is a fairly blatant Hollywood attempt to sell you the same thing twice.

In all fairness, it was entertaining...and it has its own storyline...different enough....but I still had that feeling in the back of my mind that it had been done before.

Sort of like when watching 48 hours and then watching Lethal Weapon, Beverly Hills Cop, etc.

Edited by Kasanova King

Watched World War Z last night... considering the production issues the film had, it was pretty good. I think I prefer the release ending to the original - though I'd love to see that battle in Russia.

what's the original ending?