What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

People give Cage a lot of shit for his acting, which I still praise it from most of his movies, but they really don't see stuff like this where he gives just a nice, solid performance throughout.

Nick Cage isn't necessarily a bad actor....he's been pretty good in the right role. Sure, he's had some "ugh" moments but many of those could be just as easily attributed to poor writing/directing.

Edited by Kasanova King

I saw Quentin Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight" last night. Ok, so it's not a film yet but a live reading directed by Quentin and including a cast of Sam Jackson, Kurt Russell, Walton Goggins, Michael Madsen, Tim Roth and many more got it across almost as good as film could. But seeing a film in a theatre could never be such a unique experience.

I watched Saving Mr. Banks last night.

I enjoyed it. I am not one for movies but this one surpassed my expectations. Forrest Gump plays Walt Disney as he tries to take the rights for Mary Poppins. You have to hand it to Disney. They can totally fabricate a story and still pull the strings. A good movie will always lead me to extensive research and although I sadly discovered the story was almost completely fictional, it was still entertaining.

I saw Quentin Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight" last night. Ok, so it's not a film yet but a live reading directed by Quentin and including a cast of Sam Jackson, Kurt Russell, Walton Goggins, Michael Madsen, Tim Roth and many more got it across almost as good as film could. But seeing a film in a theatre could never be such a unique experience.

Wow, where did you see that? I've read the script and thought it was pretty good. I had heard he was going to make it a novel instead, but I'm glad to see they're going through with making it a film.

RoboCop (1987) 4k Remastered

The Amazing Spider man 4K remastered

Noticed a bunch of upscaled... then downscaled "4k remastered" blu rays online. So naturally I downloaded them and the quality isn't really any different. Maybe the colours are better, but it's nothing to get excited about until real 4k Blu Rays are out.

Anyway, it's the first time I seen RoboCop all the way through and I liked it, given the type of film it was and when it was made. I still don't get why they remade the spider man franchise... I was hoping for a more darker edge like how Chris Nolans Batman's were to the original.

Just curious, do you have a 4K TV, Axl_morris? Also, how big were the files? I've never downloaded a 4K file, but with my experience with downloading 1080p files, a legitimate "full size" file is usually between 10gb-20gb, if not more for absolutely full quality.

Not saying you would have noticed an incredible difference anyway, but just saying. :)

Wow, where did you see that? I've read the script and thought it was pretty good. I had heard he was going to make it a novel instead, but I'm glad to see they're going through with making it a film.

It was put on as a one night only performance at a theatre in downtown LA. It was incredible to see. He said what we saw was the first draft and that there's a second draft and he's working on a third draft. Apparently if the movie gets made, th being we saw performed will not be in it.

Seeing QT actually direct actors on stage though was an incredible experience. He's my favorite director by a long shot but I never thought I'd get to actually see him direct.

• Like 1

Not sure if you're being serious, but in case you are, how big was the monitor?

24", IIRC.

Don't get me wrong, it was great compared to something like a 2gb rip, but compared to a great quality 5-6gb MKV file? Hardly noticeable at all.

Well in all honesty, you aren't going to notice an amazing difference on a screen that size, if at all. On a 55"+ TV? Yeah, that's where you're going to notice the quality.

24", IIRC.

Don't get me wrong, it was great compared to something like a 2gb rip, but compared to a great quality 5-6gb MKV file? Hardly noticeable at all.

Well in all honesty, you aren't going to notice an amazing difference on a screen that size, if at all. On a 55"+ TV? Yeah, that's where you're going to notice the quality.

Right, but that's only relative to the quality of a lesser format, on a large screen. I'm just saying that, on a standard sized monitor, the quality of Blu Ray, full stop, didn't make me go wow. Surely the image quality is what matters, no matter if it's on a huge screen or a regular sized monitor?

24", IIRC.

Right, but that's only relative to the quality of a lesser format, on a large screen. I'm just saying that, on a standard sized monitor, the quality of Blu Ray, full stop, didn't make me go wow. Surely the image quality is what matters, no matter if it's on a huge screen or a regular sized monitor?

In a sense. If you have a 24" TV and a 55" TV, you're going to see a difference and the "wow" factor on the bigger screen always. Not saying it won't always look good, but most people aren't going to go crazy about the quality of something like that when displayed on a smaller screen.

No, these Blu Rays were mastered from the 4k scan then downscaled to fit onto 1080p Blu Rays. It seems a bit pointless but think off the old Superbit DVD's. It's probably just another way to scam us out of money until 4k titles are officially released in 4k resolution.

"To be clear, the final digital films on the Blu-rays still only have the same 1920 x 1080 pixels of actual resolution as normal Blu-rays. But the argument goes that because these full HD files were derived from higher-resolution masters, their images will be more precise, with better colours, less noise, and enhanced sharpness and detail. Not least because the higher-resolution mastering process will provide more detail from the original print for the Blu-ray masterers to draw on when going through their (hopefully…) frame-by-frame compression process."

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-is-mastered-in-4k-and-does-it-make-a-difference

Spider man was nothing special (15gb file) but with older films it's a chance of a new restoration/remaster. I'm pre-ordered The Good the Bad and the Ugly steelbook which has been remastered from the 4k scan. It's never going to look great, but it's a chance for it to look better.

When I download films now I tend to download my 1080p's above 10gb for my 42 inch TV. I notice that a lot of the size is made up of the audio track though. Big difference in size for a DTS track compared to AC-3 Dolby.

I saw the movie "Cube" earlier today. It's kinda like SAW, but without the creepy dummy and way more of a mind screw. Disappointed with some of the death scenes, though in the end it was a pretty good film. Had a pretty thought provoking premise, and that's always good.

there are 2 more Cube films and they are both very good

• Like 1