What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

I saw the movie "Cube" earlier today. It's kinda like SAW, but without the creepy dummy and way more of a mind screw. Disappointed with some of the death scenes, though in the end it was a pretty good film. Had a pretty thought provoking premise, and that's always good.

there are 2 more Cube films and they are both very good

Yeah, I started the third movie after the first one, cause I heard it was a prequel rather than a sequel. I was told the second one was pretty bad, but I'll still give it a try at some point.

I saw the movie "Cube" earlier today. It's kinda like SAW, but without the creepy dummy and way more of a mind screw. Disappointed with some of the death scenes, though in the end it was a pretty good film. Had a pretty thought provoking premise, and that's always good.

there are 2 more Cube films and they are both very good

Yeah, I started the third movie after the first one, cause I heard it was a prequel rather than a sequel. I was told the second one was pretty bad, but I'll still give it a try at some point.

the second one is better than the first

No, these Blu Rays were mastered from the 4k scan then downscaled to fit onto 1080p Blu Rays. It seems a bit pointless but think off the old Superbit DVD's. It's probably just another way to scam us out of money until 4k titles are officially released in 4k resolution.

"To be clear, the final digital films on the Blu-rays still only have the same 1920 x 1080 pixels of actual resolution as normal Blu-rays. But the argument goes that because these full HD files were derived from higher-resolution masters, their images will be more precise, with better colours, less noise, and enhanced sharpness and detail. Not least because the higher-resolution mastering process will provide more detail from the original print for the Blu-ray masterers to draw on when going through their (hopefully…) frame-by-frame compression process."

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-is-mastered-in-4k-and-does-it-make-a-difference

Spider man was nothing special (15gb file) but with older films it's a chance of a new restoration/remaster. I'm pre-ordered The Good the Bad and the Ugly steelbook which has been remastered from the 4k scan. It's never going to look great, but it's a chance for it to look better.

When I download films now I tend to download my 1080p's above 10gb for my 42 inch TV. I notice that a lot of the size is made up of the audio track though. Big difference in size for a DTS track compared to AC-3 Dolby.

Superbit DVDs were better because they were free of special features, so all the disc space went into video and audio performance.

These "4K-mastered" Blu-Rays do seem like a scam, though. Like you said, better off saving money for actual 4K media for 4K devices, which seems at least a couple years off yet.

Sixes, I didn't know. I liked Cube. Will watch the others!

I liked Cube too. It was so different from anything I'd seen up to that point. Since then, there's been some movies that have used it as inspiration.

But the second and third Cube movies are as good as, if not better, than the first. There's been rumors of a 4th film for years, but nothing has come to fruition

No, these Blu Rays were mastered from the 4k scan then downscaled to fit onto 1080p Blu Rays. It seems a bit pointless but think off the old Superbit DVD's. It's probably just another way to scam us out of money until 4k titles are officially released in 4k resolution.

"To be clear, the final digital films on the Blu-rays still only have the same 1920 x 1080 pixels of actual resolution as normal Blu-rays. But the argument goes that because these full HD files were derived from higher-resolution masters, their images will be more precise, with better colours, less noise, and enhanced sharpness and detail. Not least because the higher-resolution mastering process will provide more detail from the original print for the Blu-ray masterers to draw on when going through their (hopefully…) frame-by-frame compression process."

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-is-mastered-in-4k-and-does-it-make-a-difference

Spider man was nothing special (15gb file) but with older films it's a chance of a new restoration/remaster. I'm pre-ordered The Good the Bad and the Ugly steelbook which has been remastered from the 4k scan. It's never going to look great, but it's a chance for it to look better.

When I download films now I tend to download my 1080p's above 10gb for my 42 inch TV. I notice that a lot of the size is made up of the audio track though. Big difference in size for a DTS track compared to AC-3 Dolby.

Superbit DVDs were better because they were free of special features, so all the disc space went into video and audio performance.

These "4K-mastered" Blu-Rays do seem like a scam, though. Like you said, better off saving money for actual 4K media for 4K devices, which seems at least a couple years off yet.

A downloaded file does not represent true HD as found in a blu-ray disc. A 1:1 copy can give you an idea but mkv files are a very watered-down version of what you would actually see by having a physical disc inserted in your blu-ray player. Same goes for the audio.

Mastered in 4K and 4K blu-ray discs are two different things. So it's not a scam, it's just that people misinterpret that a lot.

Edited by Nosaj Thing

Amazing Spiderman exceeded expectation. The best of the last five

Transendence was watchable but basic, not the thought provoking film you want it to be

Rio 2 possibly exceeds the first film slightly, a great watch for the family. Lots of fun

Noah was watchable, but the story has been butchered to a point where it comes across as more as a soap opera. than an OT story. Some of the casting choices were also peculiar.

Transcendence seems confused about what it wants to be, if the trailers are anything to go by. Thought provoking sad story, or edge-of-your-seat thriller? I've only seen two of the trailers though, so maybe I got the wrong impression.

Would anybody here recommend "Out of the Furnace"? The trailers make it look pretty neat and I enjoy a lot of the actors in the cast, but I'm unsure about the premise.

"To be clear, the final digital films on the Blu-rays still only have the same 1920 x 1080 pixels of actual resolution as normal Blu-rays. But the argument goes that because these full HD files were derived from higher-resolution masters, their images will be more precise, with better colours, less noise, and enhanced sharpness and detail. Not least because the higher-resolution mastering process will provide more detail from the original print for the Blu-ray masterers to draw on when going through their (hopefully) frame-by-frame compression process."

How do you play your downloaded films of above 10gb on your tv mate?

"To be clear, the final digital films on the Blu-rays still only have the same 1920 x 1080 pixels of actual resolution as normal Blu-rays. But the argument goes that because these full HD files were derived from higher-resolution masters, their images will be more precise, with better colours, less noise, and enhanced sharpness and detail. Not least because the higher-resolution mastering process will provide more detail from the original print for the Blu-ray masterers to draw on when going through their (hopefully) frame-by-frame compression process."

How do you play your downloaded films of above 10gb on your tv mate?

I have an LG TV and it has a USB slot. If that fails I have a usb on a samsung blu ray and if that fails Ive for a £20 media box from amazon. So yeah, hard drive.

I use a USB hard drive that goes into my sony blu ray player, but it has to be formatted into fat32 to play media. So 4gb files or less.

I don't know but I think Sony is very limited in that aspect. I have a Samsung HDTV and also a 128GB USB drive. I formatted it into NTFS and I can watch .mkv files over 4GB. Last one I played was a 15GB file.

Watching The Reef. Almost an hour in but still no sharks. Meh.

:lol:

My son would have said the same thing.

I'm watching The Matrix on Blu-Ray....looks phenomenal.

I had the Ultimate Matrix Collection on DVD back in the day, used to love those films (yes, even the sequels, though nowhere near as much as the original). Would love to see how they look in HD.