What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

We got about half hour into Human Centipede 2 before the missus said she'd had enough :lol:

Really, after thinking about it for months, I really wanted to see Human Centipede but while browsing the net I found some gifs from the movie and I said "fuck no". It's just one of the things that would make me throw up.

We got about half hour into Human Centipede 2 before the missus said she'd had enough :lol:

Really, after thinking about it for months, I really wanted to see Human Centipede but while browsing the net I found some gifs from the movie and I said "fuck no". It's just one of the things that would make me throw up.

It's not 'that' bad - I think it's that the second is overtly gratuitous, and when you have the protagonist masturbating with sandpaper to the video of the first movie, that's taking it a bit far.

Guest Len B'stard

Hancock & Joan - a movie about Tony Hancock and an affair he had with the wife of John Le Mesuier, Joan.

Juno and the Paycock.

Again, neorealist - grittiness - is not something you normally associate with Hitch, with his penchant for English upper class types (even his Americans, are ‘English upper class types‘) but here we have Juno and the Paycock (along with The Wrong Man) as evidence of an interest in class. This also could be said to form the first part of his Catholic trilogy (alongside, I Confess and The Wrong Man). It is a flawed film; I am not sure the transition from broad comedy (with, drink obsessed work-shy Irish archetypes) to tragedy completely works. Also, like many of the early talkies it suffers from technical problems, poor audio, etc. Nonetheless, it does have a power in its final fifteen minutes. Watch out for, John ‘Private Frazer’ Laurie (who incidentally also has a small, but memorable, role in The 39 Steps).

Watched World War Z last night. It wasn't terrible, but...

Brad Pitt's character was just too fucking ridiculous. He just survives too much. The plane crash was when it jumped the shark.

I liked the movie, but I remember wathcing that scene and thinking "are you serious?" And how did the find the town (which was Cardiff I think), the film just moved from one shot of them near the wreckage to the next shot being them walking through the town.... how did they find it? how did they even know where they were?

Edited by OmarBradley

Watched both i Robot and I Am Legend for the first time last night. I enjoyed both movies....and think they are both under-appreciated. (I Am Legend more so than i Robot).

I thought the alternative version of I Am Legend is just as good, if not better, than the theatrical....for anyone that cares.

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

The German Doctor - very effective Argentinian thriller about Joseph Mengele on the run from Mossad and continuing to abuse the hippocratic oath in 1960s South America. Partially fictionalized, but with some creepily historically accurate details as well.

Edited by Angelica

Tokyo Joe (1949). It is not a great film. The mix up, of a typical Bogart noir piece, and a quasi-political film about the American occupation of Japan, does not quite work; the screenplay has problems - Florence Marly's character is under developed. Nonetheless, you can always watch Bogart in a typical Bogart role - you can forgive a film such as this, its sins because of it. I suppose it is quite forward thinking in its depiction of a defeated axis nation, but it is not really a film to go to for deep cultural insight. Decent Bogey fare.

Thinking about going to Amazing Spider man 2. That's just how empty my life is.

May not be such a bad thing....some are saying it's the best out of both franchises.

Those people need a helmet to perform basic functions, though.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 1