What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Thinking about going to Amazing Spider man 2. That's just how empty my life is.

May not be such a bad thing....some are saying it's the best out of both franchises.

Those people need a helmet to perform basic functions, though.

Lmao burn notice served to Kasanova King and over reaching fans of TAS2.

Lmao burn notice served to Kasanova King and over reaching fans of TAS2.

:lol:

I haven't seen it yet....just going on what I read and hear....some of it in this very forum.

Fair do's mate, I have watched it and it's not a patch on Raimi's Spiderman and not in the same ballpark as Spiderman 2.

• Like 1

The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1932). Capra's interracial drama set during the Chinese warlord era - stars, Barbara Stanwyck. Rather bold film for its time: cuts a rather strange path between, risqué miscegenation - with admiration for China - and a more predictable (for the era) anti-Sino 'Orientalism' (to utilise Edward Said). In regards to the former, I am surprised some of the stuff passed the, admittedly then nascent, Hays Code. Doesn’t always succeed as a film but worth a watch.

Bon Voyage, and, Aventure Malgache (1944). Two French language Alfred Hitchcock shorts, made for the Ministry of Information during the war, and, aimed squarely at newly liberated French territories. Both excellent French Resistance propaganda pieces.

Humoresque (1946). Joan Crawford-John Garfield music drama. Very good: well acted, an excellent (classically based) score and some superb cinematography.

Hellraiser 1, 2, 3 and 4.

They are so bad it's actually a bit fun to watch, despite all the clearly fake disgusting stuff.

Which one of those had that scene where they shoot a chick point blank in the head, then kiss her and wake her up? I remember seeing that in a movie. I think it was Hellraiser since it was around the time a Hellraiser marathon came on, but it could've been a follow up movie I guess, since if I recall right it was right near the beginning.

Watched Hatchet again, then started to watch the second one but quit about five minutes in, had other stuff to do. Kinda sucks they replaced the first actress. I hate when movies do that but I know it's sometimes unavoidable, and at least she has the same eye/hair color, I suppose. Wonder why she left/got fired?

"Out of the Furnace" is coming in the mail and it should be here tomorrow, possibly. Seems like a really good movie from the clips I've seen and the reviews, so I'm hoping it lives up to the expectations.

They are so bad it's actually a bit fun to watch, despite all the clearly fake disgusting stuff.

Which one of those had that scene where they shoot a chick point blank in the head, then kiss her and wake her up? I remember seeing that in a movie. I think it was Hellraiser since it was around the time a Hellraiser marathon came on, but it could've been a follow up movie I guess, since if I recall right it was right near the beginning.

Watched Hatchet again, then started to watch the second one but quit about five minutes in, had other stuff to do. Kinda sucks they replaced the first actress. I hate when movies do that but I know it's sometimes unavoidable, and at least she has the same eye/hair color, I suppose. Wonder why she left/got fired?

"Out of the Furnace" is coming in the mail and it should be here tomorrow, possibly. Seems like a really good movie from the clips I've seen and the reviews, so I'm hoping it lives up to the expectations.

Dude, I didn't see that scene in any of the movies I watched. And since I watched the 6th as well, it's not from there either...

Dude, I didn't see that scene in any of the movies I watched. And since I watched the 6th as well, it's not from there either...

Huh, that's weird. Must be a different movie, or from one of the last two or three.

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy

4 hour doc about the Nightmare on Elm St series

That reminds me, I need to get around to watching "Nightmares in Red, White and Blue." The first time I saw the cover of it I thought it was a homage to the Elm Street series, but it ended up being a documentary on horror in general. I'll have to get around to watching this too though. Four hours though? That's pretty impressive. Was it any good?

So, "Out of the Furnace" arrived yesterday and I finally got around to watching it this morning. Pretty good movie, quite a ride, though the ending had me kind of confused at first, but in retrospect I think it's one of those endings that's supposed to be up to interpretation. Was confused about the title at first, but after some thinking it started to make sense, too. I'd give it a seven overall.

Guest Len B'stard

The German Doctor - very effective Argentinian thriller about Joseph Mengele on the run from Mossad and continuing to abuse the hippocratic oath in 1960s South America. Partially fictionalized, but with some creepily historically accurate details as well.

I gotta see this.

Dishonored (1931) Dietrich 'Mata Hari' inspired Great War espionage film. Decent.

Golden Boy (1939). Sort of an, anti-boxing film, through which, the greed, brutality and exploition of professional boxing is contrasted with the, magic and beauty of classical music.

The Lady Eve (1941) Preston Sturges comedy with Stanwyck and Fonda. Alright.

World War Z. Braindead film, Brad Pitt competing for acting ability with a bunch of cgi zombies and finishing a, poor second.

Prisoners. (Child) kidnapping (and its effects on small town america) film with Hugh Jackman. Great infact. A dark, depressing tone throughout with some excellent acting.

Departures. Japanese black comedy about morticians. Excellent stuff.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Finally got around to seeing the new Alan Partridge movie last night. It was really pretty great, I've heard a sequel is in development - I'm usually hesitant about something like that, but I feel like it will work since this is a sort of reboot of the Alan Partridge character/story.