What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Maleficent is surprisingly decent. I've always considered Jolie to be a wildly overrated actress, but she's undeniably sublime here. By far her best performance.

A Million Ways to Die in the West - Hovers somewhere between 'not funny enough' and 'not funny at all'. I suppose it's impressive that Seth McFarlane has achieved so much success in Hollywood that he got to direct himself as the lead in a $40 million dollar film, despite a distinct lack of charisma and acting chops, though.

Edited by Angelica

Maleficent is surprisingly decent. I've always considered Jolie to be a wildly overrated actress, but she's undeniably sublime here. By far her best performance.

A Million Ways to Die in the West - Hovers somewhere between 'not funny enough' and 'not funny at all'. I suppose it's impressive that Seth McFarlane has achieved so much success in Hollywood that he got to direct himself as the lead in a $40 million dollar film, despite a distinct lack of charisma and acting chops, though.

I can't get past McFarlane looking like a grown up Peter Brady from The Brady Bunch

Don Jon

What did you think of it?

I thought it was half decent and clever for what it was.

It could have been cheesy as hell in lesser hands but JGL did a good job with writing/directing...and he and ScarJo nailed the Jersey stereotypes perfectly

Context: just watched what is of 80s movies the 80s-est of them all: Tequilla Sunrise, starring Mel Gibson, Michelle Pfeiffer and Kurt Russell

Sidenote: Michelle Pfeiffer is one of the top 5 hottest women who have ever lived

Her and Claudi Schiffer. I think my gut, lack of talent and filing for bankruptcy are the mains they wouldn't fuck me. I've thought about it I have less than zero chance.

The Miracle Woman (1931)
Capra evangelical romance (it could have only been made in America) staring Barbara Stanwyck. Alright.

Return from the River Kwai (1989)
Unofficial sequel to Bridge Over the River Kwai. Decent although abounding in 'Pacific War clitches' such as, the tyrannical Japanese officer (played by George 'Sulu' Takei) feuding with the intellectual kindly Japanese officer over the treatment of POWs. It is really just a rehash of the first film. It is certainly an old school style war film, despite its late production date. You know, the ones with Mills and Niven, ''chocks away'', ;Tally Ho'' etc - Edward Fox 's presence is an indicator of this. Watch out for an early role for Chris 'Best of the Best' Penn, whose, acting is truly woeful.

And from my collection...

Shadow of a Doubt

Blade Runner (Director's Cut)

Harry Brown

Sidenote: Michelle Pfeiffer is one of the top 5 hottest women who have ever lived

You cannot compete with the Australians for cricket lingo: ''strewth mate, he has brought up his Michelle'', i.e. his ''(Michelle) Pfeiffer'', i.e. ''five-for...''. I wonder if the actress is aware that her name is now a bit of antipodean cricket terminology?

Edited by DieselDaisy

I watched Child's Play for the first time... It was funny.

When I was younger I was terrified of that concept. Still am, except now I think of real life (alleged) incidents of it instead of the movies. The movies are all hilarious to me now.

Just watched Emperor (2012). It was eh.

EDIT: Right..... 1,000. A great one to mark my millennia of posts on here :facepalm:

Well, congrats on the thousand posts!

• Like 1

I watched Child's Play for the first time... It was funny.

When I was younger I was terrified of that concept. Still am, except now I think of real life (alleged) incidents of it instead of the movies. The movies are all hilarious to me now.

That was the reason I haven't seen this movie before :lol:

Actually, I decided to watch it cause I like old/trash movies and, TBH, horror movies are failing to scare me since I started to work in emergency services. I think I realised that reality can be worse than fiction.