What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Guest Len B'stard

A Place in the Sun.

Monty Clift-Liz Taylor-Shelly Winters. Masterpiece.

Agreed 1,000 times, fantastic isn't it? Don't you find yourself rooting for Monty? :lol:

A Place in the Sun.

Monty Clift-Liz Taylor-Shelly Winters. Masterpiece.

Agreed 1,000 times, fantastic isn't it? Don't you find yourself rooting for Monty? :lol:

It is a very nuanced performance. He is sort of, a shit, really but then Clift plays these great heroic tragic loner roles and it is another one of those. (He was always going to be brought to justice - I knew this because of the Hays code whereby, every crime should be punished.) The film touches on some very complex themes pertaining sin and justice. He thinks - even plans - about killing Shelly Winter’s character, yet, cannot carry it out. Does he make, a less than half-hearted attempt to save her? Does someone, who intends and plans a murder deserve death row? Very complex themes. It is a superb film with some Hitchcockian cinematography and excellent performances - Liz Taylor, Shelly Winters, Raymond Burr - throughout. There is not enough superlatives in the dictionary to describe it infact.

Guest Len B'stard

You're right, he is a total bastard but you can sort of sympathise and...it's not so much written in the character as much as Clift performances brings out that side, which is what makes it such an amazing performance, he gives the character all these different facets.

So, I know this is prolly a dumb question, but does anyone have any good "living doll" movies? Stuff like this scares the hell out of me in real life, but in movies I'm perfectly fine with it. Only problem is, it doesn't seem like there are that many out there. Someone I know recommended "May" to me, but I didn't know that was what it's about.

The Immigrant is truly wonderful, far better than either it's release platform or Cannes reputation would suggest.

The Baby...this is some amazingly fucked up shit right here!

I saw The Baby a few months ago :wow:

Enough Said

I really enjoyed this movie. I found it so touching, heartfelt, and thought provoking. I am so sorry that James Gandolfini is no longer with us.

As a small side note, I was glad to see Anjelah Johnson in a very small role as the housekeeper. She is one of my favorite stand up comedians.