What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

ill check enemy. he was in something from the Moon director which was like time travel stuff.

Watch it yet?

Yes, I really enjoyed it. It worked pretty well even if its an old idea.

A lot of people either loved or hated the film. I loved it and had most of it figured out throughout the film, but took me a bit to figure out what the spiders kept representing.

I didn't work out much. What did the spiders mean?

Of course you realize that there was only one Gyllenhaal. The movie is described as a "documentary" of Jake's subconscious by Jake and the director in many interviews. The entire movie is a battle going on in Jakes mind.

Spiders in the film represent.... women. At least, in the way he perceives them in his subconscious. He has a deep fear of commitment(hence, the separation from his wife after she catches him fucking around on her). His wife is pregnant, he's been unfaithful in the past. The film is in a way saying, Jake has lost his freedom. He feels "trapped" within the "web" of his marriage, and the responsibility of having a child, as well as remaining faithful. If you remember the beginning of the film, the narcissistic, unfaithful Jake gets into the sex club with his key(he receives a new key at the end of the film... get to that in a second) and sees the woman about to squash the spider. Through his unfaithfulness, he longs to "squash" his wife, or, their love and relationship at least. Toward the end, he finally opens the letter that has a new key to the sex club and is immediately tempted to go back. He tells his wife he has to go out tonight and she doesn't answer, he walks into the room and is revealed to be a spider, she backs up in fear of.... being "squashed". He was able to rid the unfaithful, narcissistic portion of himself.... but at the first sign of temptation, he goes back to his adulteress ways. This is why she reacts this way. Jake is a "spider killer". His facial expressions tell the tale. His wife (the spider) looked to be in fear. His face read a disappointing acceptance. To me, the ending here is Jake coming to acceptance as to what his life is like. A narcissistic, psychotic, unfaithful man.

At one point in the movie, as he was teaching, he alluded to history repeating itself. This goes full circle here. From this, to the opening of the movie where Jake is listening to his mother's voicemail, and at the end of the movie, his wife tells him his mother called but she didn't answer..... but "I think she left a message."

The "Enemy"?? His mind, of course.

This movie schooled me for a little while and that's not an easy feat, pretty much had Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr figured out from start to finish... but I love this type of shit.

Just watched Synecdoche, New York as well and that one had me lost at some points but I think i've gotten it figured out. May be next to Inland Empire in terms of complete brain fuckery.

I think I only got the battle between his selves, but not really over his adulteress ways. I mean that was a given maybe but for much of the film unsure. I followed how it unravelled more and then when the Spider was there I was like wtf. My conclusion was that things were still fucked up, like his wife turned into a spider so maybe the he's still crazy. Actually I thought it was more about mental illness. You're your own worst enemy kind of thing. But I think what you wrote there is more specific. Oh yeah spoilers.

It begs the question is it good to work it out? Mull holland I enjoyed without knowing. I got the jist but not the full subtext.

I think if you rewatch or listen enough it's not quite as indecipherable as you thought. Like FNM Angel Dust I thought what the hell is this but really it's easy listening now.

Synecdoche also maybe seen it twice, I like the atmosphere. Definitely could watch again more informed.

Inland Empire is pretty unsettling. I think it's like Mullholland mostly but it's a darker noir film.

Edited by wasted

The Monuments Men. What a great movie. The husband chose it to watch tonight. Thought it would be a complete guy movie as it was WWII period with George Clooney and Matt Damon but I loved it! Also has Cate Blanchett and John Goodman. A very good movie. I highly recommend it.

Monuments Men was terrible.

agreed. one of the worst films i've seen in a long time

Yeah, and I dig WWII stuff in general but that movie was shit.

and there was such talent involved all around...it was a major letdown

I was watching Monuments Men but fell asleep but it seemed quite nice. I'd watch it in a double bill with The Tourist when I'm in a retirement home in Florida. Bag of oranges n vino.

hahaha... well, I like how you put that. :) I really liked the movie too.

It begs the question is it good to work it out? Mull holland I enjoyed without knowing. I got the jist but not the full subtext.

To me, yeah. I love analyzing mindfuck movies after I watch them, adds that special element which is enjoyable. Deep thinking. Not for everyone, but for you and I? Most definitely :lol:

Inland Empire is still a clusterfuck to me but i've gotten Synecdoche now.

You didn't like it either Six? hmm.. I thought it was a good movie. I prefer scary movies and thrillers though.

totally outvoted here. :)

That, WWII plot and Blanchett were the reasons why I had high expectations for it. Unfortunately, it was a major letdown - like you said. In my opinion, the execution was terrible.

totally outvoted here. :)

Trust me, I really wanted to like it.

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 1

To me, yeah. I love analyzing mindfuck movies after I watch them, adds that special element which is enjoyable. Deep thinking. Not for everyone, but for you and I? Most definitely :lol:

Inland Empire is still a clusterfuck to me but i've gotten Synecdoche now.

I pity the fools without my superior brain wattage.

Have you seen Music of Chance?

Inland seems like Mullholland as she's an actress but becomes the character in the movie. Maybe both on and off screen? When she starts a movie she leaves her rabbit family. She's paranoid and in the run from her abusive husband but maybe only in her mind.

Existenz is another mindfuck movie I guess.

Cheap Tuesday night at the movies, saw LUCY, don't know why...just did.

Started out ok, I thought she was going to kick ass throughout, not, ya know...

visit dinosaurs and shit
:shrugs:

Intended (?) cerebral sci-fi that fizzles out.

The Counselor

terrible movie and just like Monuments Men, I was expecting so much more considering who was involved...written by Cormac McCarthy, directed by Ridley Scott, starring Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Rosie Perez, Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz...you'd think that collective could take a shit and make it somewhat enjoyable but tis not the case

The Counselor

terrible movie and just like Monuments Men, I was expecting so much more considering who was involved...written by Cormac McCarthy, directed by Ridley Scott, starring Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Rosie Perez, Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz...you'd think that collective could take a shit and make it somewhat enjoyable but tis not the case

Yup, felt exactly the same way. I followed the production of it for a while, and then when reviews came out I decided not to see it in theaters. Have to say though, the scene where Bardem and Fassbender were in the club talking about what Cameron Diaz did to that Ferrari... LOL, I was cracking up, partially because it was funny in itself and partially because the acting was just so bad you couldn't tell if it was supposed to be funny or not.

The Counselor

Yup, felt exactly the same way. I followed the production of it for a while, and then when reviews came out I decided not to see it in theaters. Have to say though, the scene where Bardem and Fassbender were in the club talking about what Cameron Diaz did to that Ferrari... LOL, I was cracking up, partially because it was funny in itself and partially because the acting was just so bad you couldn't tell if it was supposed to be funny or not.

Cameron Diaz is not aging well :scared: