What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Watched some horror movies recently. I was pretty disappointed in all of them.

V/H/S

Yeah, that one was pretty bad.

I see that The Conjuring is on netflix now, might check that out tonight.

Did you ever watch it? I thought it was good.

Watching The Believer right now.

Yeah. Typical mediocre ghost flick.

The Counselor

terrible movie and just like Monuments Men, I was expecting so much more considering who was involved...written by Cormac McCarthy, directed by Ridley Scott, starring Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Rosie Perez, Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz...you'd think that collective could take a shit and make it somewhat enjoyable but tis not the case

Yup, felt exactly the same way. I followed the production of it for a while, and then when reviews came out I decided not to see it in theaters. Have to say though, the scene where Bardem and Fassbender were in the club talking about what Cameron Diaz did to that Ferrari... LOL, I was cracking up, partially because it was funny in itself and partially because the acting was just so bad you couldn't tell if it was supposed to be funny or not.

Cameron Diaz is not aging well :scared:

I agree. I thought that movie was going to be awesome - but they seemed to miss the boat.

Diaz has always been a little funny looking, even in the old modeling days. Made-up she looked super hot, but in photos sans make-up.....she was an odd looking woman even back then. Plus no curves at all.

I'm bad with names. Just watched the sort of new Scarlett Johanson movie where she plays an alien...........awful. I ended up fast forwarding through about half the movie.

And watching some movie on Netflix that has Mathew modine in it. A girl is completely neglected by her family, so she drugs and ties up her parents and forces them to start communicating with each other and becoming a family again. Pretty mediocre movie, but interesting in the younger sister (maybe around 12) is obsessed with Jodi foster from Taxi Driver and she walks around pretending to be a prostitute, smoking and swearing. And the main character is playing a 16 year old high school student........and in real life, she was actually 27 years old. I know it happens a lot - older actors playing high school or college age students. But that's a pretty big difference.

Just finished The Shield. About to start watching the final season of The Killing on Netflix.

Oh, that explains the new avatar and sig picture. What'd you think of that ending? Better yet, what about how they handled Crowley's story through out the series?

Also, anyone else excited for Sons of Anarchy's final season? They just put up a new trailer for it today: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4195396633/ - VERY spoiler heavy, for those of you who haven't watched all of season six yet.

Oh, that explains the new avatar and sig picture. What'd you think of that ending? Better yet, what about how they handled Crowley's story through out the series?

I thought the ending was very good. I loved the end credits with the short clips from the show and "...Long Time Ago" by Concrete Blonde in the background.

Vic ending up chained to a desk is probably a worse punishment for his actions than prison would be, but I liked how he grabbed his gun and went off after hearing those sirens - it showed that they couldn't kill his spirit/instincts. I didn't like what happened to Ronnie, though. He and Lem were always the more passive part of the Strike Team - less cynical than Shane and Vic. Shane and his family's death was sad to see, but to me it was obvious from the get-go that Shane would end up either in prison or dead, but I didn't realize that he would bring his family with him.

I felt that the aftermath of Crowley's death hit it's peak during Kavanaugh's (brilliantly played by Forest Whitaker) investigations. In the end, justice was served one way or another with Shane and Lem dead, Ronnie in Prison and Vic stuck at a desk.

Edited by Lithium
  • Like 1

Saw Deliver Us From Evil last night at the movies, it was ok but not scary. There were some good jumps but I couldn't pick up some of the accents so got lost a little. I'm used to going back & playing it again to catch what they said so it annoys me at the movies that I can't do that.

About to watch The Purge Anarchy, first one was good & this is reported to be better. Guess I'll find out shortly.

I thought the ending was very good. I loved the end credits with the short clips from the show and "...Long Time Ago" by Concrete Blonde in the background.

Vic ending up chained to a desk is probably a worse punishment for his actions than prison would be, but I liked how he grabbed his gun and went off after hearing those sirens - it showed that they couldn't kill his spirit/instincts. I didn't like what happened to Ronnie, though. He and Lem were always the more passive part of the Strike Team - less cynical than Shane and Vic. Shane and his family's death was sad to see, but to me it was obvious from the get-go that Shane would end up either in prison or dead, but I didn't realize that he would bring his family with him.

I felt that the aftermath of Crowley's death hit it's peak during Kavanaugh's (brilliantly played by Forest Whitaker) investigations. In the end, justice was served one way or another with Shane and Lem dead, Ronnie in Prison and Vic stuck at a desk.

Yeah, same here. I thought it was beautifully done and was the only logical ending to the series. I'm hoping that Sons of Anarchy, which is worked on by a dude who worked on the show, ends just as good.

I didn't like how Shane went out though. I always figured he'd end up dead, but like you, I didn't see him taking his family with him. Honestly, I didn't see Shane committing suicide, I always figured Vic would end up doing him in. I guess in a way he still did, but I expected it to be more direct. Regardless, he died all the same, and I was glad about that.

I always liked how Crowley was utilized as a story element. Sure, you didn't hear of him in every episode, but his death was always there, always looming over Vic, and especially Shane. I was also surprised at how soon it was done. I knew Crowley was going to die before I went into the show, but I didn't see it happening in the very first episode. I figured it was a mid season thing at the earliest. I can't imagine how shocked the initial viewers were. The death scene was also done great, very poignant. The look in Crowley's eyes as he looks up at Vic, man. I think that scene alone is why the pilot is my favorite episode. Well, that and the dog shit in Dutch's desk. "I'm declaring this an official crime scene! Nobody leaves here without providing a stool sample!"

Sorry for getting back to this a couple days later. Meant to last night, but uh... I forgot.

Edited by Nulla Lex Ink.
  • Like 1

Watched "Torment" the other day. I picked it up because it sounded kind of similar to that recent movie "You're Next," and since I couldn't find it I just went with that one. Not at all disappointed with the decision, especially since You're Next was just added to Netflix.

Then last night I got to see "Afflicted". Sounded like a good movie, although I thought it was going to be like one of the recent "person gets infected with some mysterious ailment, then it turns out to be the zombie virus!" type movies, since a lot of writers seem to be using that as a device here lately. Well, it was similar to that, but it was not a zombie virus. They also didn't wait until the end for the big reveal, instead doing it at about the half way point and trying to figure out how to cure it for the rest of the movie. Although after the second or third symptom shows up, you should be able to tell what's going on.