What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Fucking fuck fuck!! Whiplash is superb. The first film of 2014 (Under the Skin was technically 2013) that has genuinely left me reeling. Go. Now.

I'm really looking forward to this. Too bad it doesn't premiere in Norway until like January.

Award season DVD screeners will pop up soon enough, but I'd actually recommend resisting the urge. It deserves the big screen.

Fucking fuck fuck!! Whiplash is superb. The first film of 2014 (Under the Skin was technically 2013) that has genuinely left me reeling. Go. Now.

I'm really looking forward to this. Too bad it doesn't premiere in Norway until like January.

Award season DVD screeners will pop up soon enough, but I'd actually recommend resisting the urge. It deserves the big screen.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

• Like 1

Tried watching The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo...couldn't get past 15 mins, was fuckin' boring, Daniel Craig walking around with his arse clenched and some special ed lookin' metaller bird.

Although it's superior to the Swedish version, aside from the opening credit sequence and the Enya joke, I still don't understand why this exists.

So its naff? Oh right, won't bother with the rest then, cheers Ang' ;)

Well, the source material is pretty naff, and had been turned into a solid enough movie in 2009. Fincher's take is better, and it's quite good, but I have no fucking idea why he felt compelled to remake what was then a two year old Swedish genre film. Unless he just got the idea for the opening titles and the Enya joke, and figured it was worth the effort following through.

• Like 1

I watched a bunch of BBC4 documentaries on BBC IPlayer about the collapse of ancient civilisations, the Maya, Eygpt's Old Kingdom and the Minoan. They bring in meteorologist data a lot. They are worth watching,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0074m6w/ancient-apocalypse-3-the-maya-collapse

I also watched a documentary on Britain's 18th century obsession with, the Gothic, presented by that art historian, Andrew Graham-Dixon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04mgxxx/the-art-of-gothic-britains-midnight-hour-1-liberty-diversity-depravity

I wonder if some people do not bother paying their TV license fee now and just rely on Iplayer because in all honesty, there is fuck all on tv anyway so this allows you to watch the only decent stuff on there, when, you want to?

American Psycho last night, extremely clever concept, granted it's nothing too new on the surface but the complexities within the sociopath/dissociation dynamic are very interesting. Bale is phenomenal, I didn't really get much from the other actors but maybe that was the point, minimalist vehicles exaggerating the absolute whackjob pulling the strings. A lot of the credit goes to the writer Bret Easton Ellis but a brilliant translation to the screen. I was on sleeping pills watching it which definitely enhanced the latter stages with the boundaries between reality and imaginary in Bateman's mind lol.

What a monologue though;

'There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it, I have now surpassed. My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone; in fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape, but even after admitting this there is no catharsis, my punishment continues to elude me and I gain no deeper knowledge of myself; no new knowledge can be extracted from my telling. This confession has meant nothing...'