What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Crystal Lake Memories, a SIX HOUR documentary about the Friday the 13th franchise. #bliss

My only disappointment is that Kevin Bacon didn't appear.

I didn't know that they reached out to the original Mrs Vorhees for Freddy vs Jason...who knew she was even still alive at that point??!! And I think she still is!!

There's a Nightmare on Elm St similar to this but I don't really care for that franchise....

I watched the Nightmare one a couple of months ago. I love both of them. Oh god, is there a Halloween one!?

EDIT: Yes, there is, but just the 2006 one which is hardly exhaustive. :(

I didn't know about the Halloween one...I do know they just released all the Halloween films in a box set and included the director's cut of Part 6, I think...the one where the mysterious guy breaks Michael out of jail at the end...apparently the director's cut explains things more clearly

I actually liked both Rob Zombie Halloween films, especially his odd take on Part 2. I thought his Part 2 was one of the more violent movies I've seen in quite some time

Halloween 6: Hey, isn't that Paul Rudd? really needed a director's cut, the original is a mess. I loathe Zombie's 2007 film. I saw the original at a wildly inappropriate age, Myers was the quintessential boogeyman for me. Giving him a back story ruined him for me. Now he's just a fat blonde emo kid. I did sort of enjoy his second one, but only because it made me feel like I was on heroin.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 2

Halloween should never have had sequels. The ending of the original is perfect. Even the second one, which is not such a bad film, should never have been made. As for the remakes, Zombie should have been shot. I watched Bavo's Black Sunday and a bunch of cheesy 80s North American horrors. I am not really into the teenage slasher genre but most of them are on youtube and they are easy viewing, in a braindead way. These are,

Maniac Cop 1 and 2

Dolls

Terror Train

Road Games (this is a superior film)

Trick or Treat

Prom Night

Edited by DieselDaisy

Crystal Lake Memories, a SIX HOUR documentary about the Friday the 13th franchise. #bliss

My only disappointment is that Kevin Bacon didn't appear.

I didn't know that they reached out to the original Mrs Vorhees for Freddy vs Jason...who knew she was even still alive at that point??!! And I think she still is!!

There's a Nightmare on Elm St similar to this but I don't really care for that franchise....

I watched the Nightmare one a couple of months ago. I love both of them. Oh god, is there a Halloween one!?

EDIT: Yes, there is, but just the 2006 one which is hardly exhaustive. :(

I didn't know about the Halloween one...I do know they just released all the Halloween films in a box set and included the director's cut of Part 6, I think...the one where the mysterious guy breaks Michael out of jail at the end...apparently the director's cut explains things more clearly

I actually liked both Rob Zombie Halloween films, especially his odd take on Part 2. I thought his Part 2 was one of the more violent movies I've seen in quite some time

Halloween 6: Hey, isn't that Paul Rudd? really needed a director's cut, the original is a mess. I loathe Zombie's 2007 film. I saw the original at a wildly inappropriate age, Myers was the quintessential boogeyman for me. Giving him a back story ruined him for me. Now he's just a fat blonde emo kid. I did sort of enjoy his second one, but only because it made me feel like I was on heroin.

Speaking of inappropriate age viewing, the first 2 movies I ever saw were a double feature of The Exorcist and Magic with Anthony Hopkins...when i was 5! I might have seen a movie earlier than that but I have no recollection of any.

I saw the first Halloween when I was 5 ,also...and it remains my fav horror film and one of my fav films, period.

Halloween should never have had sequels. The ending of the original is perfect. Even the second one, which is not such a bad film, should never have been made. As for the remakes, Zombie should have been shot. I watched Bavo's Black Sunday and a bunch of cheesy 80s North American horrors. I am not really into the teenage slasher genre but most of them are on youtube and they are easy viewing, in a braindead way. These are,

Maniac Cop 1 and 2

Dolls

Terror Train

Trick or Treat

Prom Night

Road Games is quite special. I love the genre, dodgy as it is. On account of being particularly bold and unusual, Sleepaway Camp is well worth checking out.

Speaking of inappropriate age viewing, the first 2 movies I ever saw were a double feature of The Exorcist and Magic with Anthony Hopkins...when i was 5! I might have seen a movie earlier than that but I have no recollection of any.

I saw the first Halloween when I was 5 ,also...and it remains my fav horror film and one of my fav films, period.

I had a cousin who was 12 or so and thought it would be the funniest thing ever to make me watch Halloween when I was 7-8. I should add, I was quite sheltered, at least from anything that might scare me. To the extent that I wasn't allowed to watch Scooby Doo cartoons. So, uh, it was a bit of a shock. :lol:

No one's mentioned Mike Nichols? :( He had a hell of a run early on, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, The Graduate, Catch-22, Gilda Live. His second tier stuff is still pretty damn good - Silkwood, Heartburn, Primary Colors, Closer, Charlie Wilson's War. And I loved (most) of what he did with Angels in America. I do wish people would stop pretending that Working Girl is anything but a supreme guilty pleasure, though,

• Like 1

Maniac Cop 1 and 2

Dolls

Terror Train

Trick or Treat

Prom Night

I'm in the minority amongst horror fans, but I loved Zombie's version of Halloween. And a big reason why was seeing Michael at a young age. I loved his back story and the parts where he was a youngster. To me that made him more scary than just being a "boogyman" who we knew nothing about.

Of course, I had an older teenage babysitter who loved horror movies. So she had me watching movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I was just 7-8 years old, and then a couple years later Friday the 13th and The Shining.

Diesel and Angelica - in terms of it just being a horror movie, if it wasn't attached to Halloween and Michael Myers.........what do you think about the Zombie remake? If it was a stand alone movie about a guy who becomes a crazy killer. For me, the scenes where he kills his step-dad, sister and her boyfriend.......where he beats the kid to death in the woods with the tree limb..........when he kills Danny T after he says "but Michael I've always been nice to you".............those were scarier/creepier or more brutal than anything else I saw in the couple of year time period when the movie came out.

If it wasn't attached to Michael Myers, what would you have thought about it just as its own movie?

• Like 1

Maniac Cop 1 and 2

Dolls

Terror Train

Trick or Treat

Prom Night

I'm in the minority amongst horror fans, but I loved Zombie's version of Halloween. And a big reason why was seeing Michael at a young age. I loved his back story and the parts where he was a youngster. To me that made him more scary than just being a "boogyman" who we knew nothing about.

Of course, I had an older teenage babysitter who loved horror movies. So she had me watching movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I was just 7-8 years old, and then a couple years later Friday the 13th and The Shining.

Diesel and Angelica - in terms of it just being a horror movie, if it wasn't attached to Halloween and Michael Myers.........what do you think about the Zombie remake? If it was a stand alone movie about a guy who becomes a crazy killer. For me, the scenes where he kills his step-dad, sister and her boyfriend.......where he beats the kid to death in the woods with the tree limb..........when he kills Danny T after he says "but Michael I've always been nice to you".............those were scarier/creepier or more brutal than anything else I saw in the couple of year time period when the movie came out.

If it wasn't attached to Michael Myers, what would you have thought about it just as its own movie?

I honestly do not like the film, regardless of the Halloween connection (which merely makes it worse). I did not really like Zombie's films. I remember House of A 1000 Corpses was delayed almost as long as Chinese Democracy, and being fairly excited for it, and then I saw it and found it disappointing. My mate liked it though; in fact, Zombie's films seem to divide people.

Maniac Cop 1 and 2

Dolls

Terror Train

Trick or Treat

Prom Night

I honestly do not like the film, regardless of the Halloween connection (which merely makes it worse). I did not really like Zombie's films. I remember House of A 1000 Corpses was delayed almost as long as Chinese Democracy, and being fairly excited for it, and then I saw it and found it disappointing. My mate liked it though; in fact, Zombie's films seem to divide people.

No kidding. People seem to love or hate him.

The Halloween attachment didn't bother me as I'm in the camp of movies not ruining other movies. Like the really bad Halloween sequels or Friday the 13th sequels don't "ruin" the originals for me. I just don't watch the tv commercial Halloween one or the completely awful Friday the 13th ones. The 2nd Alien vs Predator movie is cringeworthy bad - but that doesn't ruin the great Alien and Predator movies for me. I just don't watch the bad ones.

For me, House is my least favorite Zombie movie........even though lot's of people seem to love it. Did you like Devil's Rejects? That's just about the perfect film for its genre. Creepy, gross, annoying, makes you feel like taking a shower after watching it. So much of today's "horror" movies are just soooo cookie cutter that they have literally zero effect on me anymore. Five minutes into it you can tell everything that's about to happen, every cliché that's about to be met. I suppose that's why I like Zombie movies - you walk away going "what the f*ck did I just watch." But yes, I'll also admit he needs to move on a bit from the creepy redneck trailer park trash type characters.

• Like 1

AI

- Re-watched this (it was one of my 'most hated films') and enjoined it much more than when I first saw it at the pictures. The ending still does not work for me; it just feels contrived and over-sentimental.

The Quatermass Xperiment, and, Quatermass II

- Classic British sci-fi, an early outing for Hammer. The first one is better but they are both good.

Men in Black 2 & 3.

- Silly films for braindeads but fun.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I watched Captain America.

I'm not one for super hero movies. In fact I really fucking hate them, but this one had references to WWII and I love history so I was kind of digging it to be honest.

But then the ending arrived. Jesus. I've never been so pissed off at a movie in my life. It was fucking embarrassing.

What a load of horseshit that movie became. It's like they purposely wanted to fuck it up at the end just because it was possible.

Those writers can sincerely go fuck themselves.

Nightcrawler is very good. It threatens to be great for the first half or so, but can't quite sustain itself (and it's ideas are hardly fresh). But it's beautifully made and Gyllenhaal is fantastic.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 2

I watched Captain America.

I'm not one for super hero movies. In fact I really fucking hate them, but this one had references to WWII and I love history so I was kind of digging it to be honest.

But then the ending arrived. Jesus. I've never been so pissed off at a movie in my life. It was fucking embarrassing.

What a load of horseshit that movie became. It's like they purposely wanted to fuck it up at the end just because it was possible.

Those writers can sincerely go fuck themselves.

It's a superhero movie...seriously, what did you expect.....a documentary on WWII?