What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

The Babadook

Thoughts? The critical raves it's getting confuse me, as it's an Australian film (since the grindhouse scene folded in the 80s, 99% of our movies have blown).

Predestination - I'm pretty sure it was above average, but I was on a plane and I've suddenly become the world's most anxious flyer, so I can't be positive.

What We Do in the Shadows - so fucking adorable and funny that I actually stopped worrying about the plane crashing!

God's Pocket - Not (quite) as bad as it's Sundance rep, but not good either.

I was very eager to see it because of the reviews...all of the "the most terrifying movie I've EVER seen" type of thing which is usually hyperbole, but I fell for it. I think William Friedken pronounced it as one of the top 5 scariest movies he's ever seen.

It's beautifully shot but is lo-fi all the way and that adds to the overall dreary mood.

It's right on the verge of being scary and laughable and it teeters there for the whole film. I could see some seeing it as ridiculously un-scary.

The child actor is annoying as all hell and it really takes away from the movie as a whole. A better actor would have pushed the film to scarier heights.

I'd definitely recommend it but certainly not give it a rave review

Dear White People - absolutely terrific.

Dumb and Dumber To - so lazy and curiously hateful that I suspect it will attract an ironic cult following eventually. Tbh, I didn't hate it.

St Vincent - above average entry in the generally disreputable 'asshole being redeemed by a kid' genre.

Edited by Angelica

Wild - My BA pick would be Rosamund Pike, but if Reese upsets the assumption that this is Julianne Moore's year, I will be just fine with that. If the film were anywhere near as good as her performance, it would be...well, a much better film (it's not terrible).

Still Alice - Moore deserves to win Best Actress for a better film. I think. Sometimes these days, to be honest, I find her a little hammy.

Edited by Angelica

Just got done watching "Wrong Turn." It was an alright enough movie. Not the most unique "slasher" film, but I didn't expect anything like that, so it was a fun watch all the same. Does anyone know if the sequels are worth a viewing?

never saw the sequels as Eliza Dushku wasn't in any of them....no Dushku, not worth it

• Like 1