What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Rohm was the SA leader who was executed on the Night of the Long Knives. He was a homosexual. A lot of the SA were homosexuals and Hitler used that as an excuse to liquidate them because the SA were making some noises which were upsetting the Wehrmacht. Hitler actually liked to hire people who had personal problems: homosexuality, alcoholism and drug abuse, disabilities, miss-spent youth. It meant he 'had something on them' I suppose.

Schirach was his name. German was his second language. He was basically a German yank.

Rohm was the SA leader who was executed on the Night of the Long Knives. He was a homosexual. A lot of the SA were homosexuals and Hitler used that as an excuse to liquidate them because the SA were making some noises which were upsetting the Wehrmacht. Hitler actually liked to hire people who had personal problems: homosexuality, alcoholism and drug abuse, disabilities, miss-spent youth. It meant he 'had something on them' I suppose.

Schirach was his name. German was his second language. He was basically a German yank.

You think it was a wilful thing on his part of just a curious happenstance predicated on the fact that extreme philosophies tend to be taken up by people with personal problems?

You think it was a wilful thing on his part of just a curious happenstance predicated on the fact that extreme philosophies tend to be taken up by people with personal problems?

There is an element of that. A bit of both. But certainly a lot of people with problems made it into the higher echelons of the party. Take Goering. He was impotent and addicted to morphine. Himmler was a sort of odd individual. He was interested in krank medicines and theories. He used to be a chicken farmer! Ribbentrop was an anglophile and class aspirant; he was desperate to hobnob with the British aristocracy.

He was desperate to integrate himself with the British upper classes but they saw through it, that he was a bit of a pleb. He ended up producing a Nazi salute to George VI. George VI brushed it off with an, embarrassment saving (quoting from memory), ''well, a lot of the colonists use their own greetings''.

The one bollock thing was Hitler, wasn't it? (although it is not particular true in his case either). Goering was impotent because he was shot during the Munich Beer Hall Putsch. It might have shot his bollocks off I suppose? I would not care to investigate.

I think he was shot in the leg.

One thing about Goering is, he was out of favour for the majority of the war. He claimed he could wipe the BEF out with the Luftwaffe at Dunkirk and relieve the 6th Army at Stalingrad. Both were failures. From, around 1942, he spent the duration of the war playing with model train sets and gormandizing.

I think he was shot in the leg.

One thing about Goering is, he was out of favour for the majority of the war. He claimed he could wipe the BEF out with the Luftwaffe at Dunkirk and relieve the 6th Army at Stalingrad. Both were failures. From, around 1942, he spent the duration of the war playing with model train sets and gormandizing.

:lol:

On topic:

A History of Violence

This have a go hero guy kills some guys who try to rob his diner and a load of shit gets revealed as a consequence, about him and them and all sorts, pretty OK film :)

Saw the season finale to Banshee last night! OMG! it was freakin awesome. this show is so damn good. I can't wait until next season.

The Town - Ben Affleck, a film about bank robbers in Charlestown Boston, very enjoyable :)

Jeremy Renner stole that movie, but yeah the movie was excellent.

Crackin film, hell is for heroes!

Felon - man goes inside protecting his family from a burglar, ends up in fuckin hell, good film

Collateral - Jamie Foxx drives Tom Cruise around L.A. as he ices people, on the way they learn about themselves

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934). One of the best Hitchcock films from his early "British" era before his Hollywood days. Peter Lorre is excellent and if I'm not mistaken it was his first major role in a film.

You are speaking my language there. Absolute masterpiece. I slightly prefer that to the American version because, as you said you have Peter Lorre there, and also I love the gritty shoot out at the end.

Jarhead - American lad goes to the army and gets shouted at a lot. He also shouts at other people. A lot of shouting all round really.

Alpha Dog - A bunch of lads end up murdering a 15 yr old who starts the movie off as a sort of a casual hostage/marker over an outstanding debt. Justin Timberlakes in it. Don't worry though, he don't dance or sing.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934). One of the best Hitchcock films from his early "British" era before his Hollywood days. Peter Lorre is excellent and if I'm not mistaken it was his first major role in a film.

You are speaking my language there. Absolute masterpiece. I slightly prefer that to the American version because, as you said you have Peter Lorre there, and also I love the gritty shoot out at the end.

I do as well. I might feel differently if I had seen the American version first, but both are great films. The earlier version just has a certain charm. My only complaint is that my copy of the film is on one of those "budget buy" Hitchcock sets that has a bunch of his early films so the quality leaves a bit to be desired. I've been meaning to get the Criterion version.

God damn. Just finished The Sopranos again for the 3rd or 4th time, what a great show. That second to last episode, "The Blue Comet" is phenomenal, the final scene when they get to the safe house and Tony settles in always gives me goosebumps. So well put together.

I love the ending. I think it's perfect.

• Like 2

God damn. Just finished The Sopranos again for the 3rd or 4th time, what a great show. That second to last episode, "The Blue Comet" is phenomenal, the final scene when they get to the safe house and Tony settles in always gives me goosebumps. So well put together.

I love the ending. I think it's perfect.

As great as the other dramas that always get name-checked in the same breath as examples of the modern 'golden age of television' are, Sopranos will always rank tops for me because it's also the best comedy of the era.

Edited by Angelica