What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

Watched 50 Shades of Grey with my mate last night. She wanted to watch it and i thought, y'know, bit of bondage, set the evening off nicely. Never seen such a load of bollocks in all my fuckin' born days. Wheres the plot, wheres the storyline, where's the bit where something happens?

So some tart finds out her new governers into S&M, not sure whether she wants to proper get into it with him, finally musters up the courage by the end, gets a few whacks of the belt of her arse and goes 'fuck that'. And thats it, thats the whole film :lol: How is that even a story? Biggest load of shit ever.

Thats literally the whole film though. She fancies him and he just wants some bird to belt around for a laugh :lol:

Escape from the Planet of the Apes

Conquest of the Planet of the Apes

Battle for the Planet of the Apes

Thought Escape was just awkward

though any sequel to a film where the whole planet gets nuked is gonna be awkward

Really dug Conquest, classic '70s sci-fi, interesting seeing what elements were later used in Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Plus points for Ricardo Montalban.

I heard Battle was awful but I quite enjoyed it, though it is dated, and it has been surpassed since by Dawn which took parts of the story as well.

Roddy McDowall is brilliant in all of them, RIP.

Ranking the Apes films:

1. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

2. Rise of the Planet of the Apes

3. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes

4. Planet of the Apes

5. Battle for the Planet of the Apes

6. Beneath the Planet of the Apes

7. Escape from the Planet of the Apes.

The Burton "re-imagining" is so boring I'm not even going to rank it, haven't seen it since I saw it in cinemas 14 years ago, not sure I'll ever revisit it but I remember Tim Roth and Helena Bonham Carter being great in it along with Rick Baker's make-up work, but Mark Wahlberg and the other humans were incredibly uncharismatic and the plot didn't make a lick of sense. Shame since so many good ideas were tossed out along the way to the 2001 film: http://planetoftheapes.wikia.com/wiki/Planet_of_the_Apes_(2001)#Behind_the_Scenes

Can't wait for the new one in 2017.

Edited by Amir

Apocalypse Now! redux version 9/10 for me (some scenes were 10/10 and i think the redux is superior to the original cut)
Also interested the 289 minute workprint version

I think this is Francis Ford Coppola's best film overall (better than the Godfather trilogy)
Martin Sheen was a great, great actor

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 1

Apocalypse Now is unbelievable each and every viewing, I even watched it not exactly in a sane state before and it was streaming from the goddamn walls, I must've seen it seven times now and it's always like a new movie. It cracks me up how Brando turned up overweight spewing monologues nobody asked for for hours and fighting with Hopper and demanding he be paid a fortune for being utterly bonkers but it fucking worked and Coppola is a genius managing to amend and weave that all together.

I'm watching Rear Window again and recently Batman Begins, you notice little things Nolan puts in once ya've got the overall arc of the trilogy sussed and neatened, outstanding stuff. Shout out to the Stewart/Kelly chemistry in RW too, how fucking innovative was Hitchcock??

Watched 50 Shades of Grey with my mate last night. She wanted to watch it and i thought, y'know, bit of bondage, set the evening off nicely. Never seen such a load of bollocks in all my fuckin' born days. Wheres the plot, wheres the storyline, where's the bit where something happens?

So some tart finds out her new governers into S&M, not sure whether she wants to proper get into it with him, finally musters up the courage by the end, gets a few whacks of the belt of her arse and goes 'fuck that'. And thats it, thats the whole film :lol: How is that even a story? Biggest load of shit ever.

Thats literally the whole film though. She fancies him and he just wants some bird to belt around for a laugh :lol:

I paid $30 to take my Girlfriend to see this on Valentine's Day weekend and I'm still mad about it. There were a few guys loudly snoring during the first half hour and that was the highlight of the movie for me. Granted I never read the books but they have to be better (by default) then the movie. They say you can't go by the reviews but there is a reason this film got terrible ratings all around.

Hitchcock is the greatest and Rear Window might just be his 'testament film' (agreeing with Bogdanovich here). It is certainly in my top five.

You could argue that his work was pure craftsmanship and no heart and soul though.

I think the greatest director ever is John Cassavetes.

Hitchcock is the greatest and Rear Window might just be his 'testament film' (agreeing with Bogdanovich here). It is certainly in my top five.

I think I love you :wub:

You could argue that his work was pure craftsmanship and no heart and soul though.

My arse. Have you never seen I Confess or The Wrong Man?

Watched an anime series on Netflix that I heard good things about called "Attack on Titan".

Probably the most over the top horrendous bad written anime I've ever seen. It's a 24 minute show with 3 minutes worth of flashbacks at the start and annoying 2 minute opening credit scene followed by 15 minutes worth of characters thinking about what happened in the previous episodes with 2 minutes of plot advancement. At the end there's 30 seconds of end credits with another minute or so of looking forward to how not much will happen in the next episode. The other 30 seconds are random diagrams where I guess the show would normally go on a break.

Watched The Cobbler, Adam Sandler and Meth-Ticaaaaaal

Was alright y'know, not half as awful as Sandlers worst although not near his best (of which there are few). Meth' carries it for me, always thought he was great on screen, i wish he'd do more, loved him in My Babys Daddy as the main characters cousin 'No Good'. Other than that he's never gotten time to shine, he's the kid who stabs Sam Jackson in 187, he's the guy that gets shot in the beginning of Copland, it's frustrating, he has so much charisma, he can carry a film, he can do it all...but he never gets that movie. How High he was great in...and Belly. You just wanna see more of him though.

People say rappers only get like, criminal roles of whatever but even like with a good weighty substantial one of those, a serious one, where he leads the film, i think he could set shit on fire.