What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

If I Stay - Movie about this young girl who has this really idyllic life thats kinda struck by tragedy. REALLY slushy chick flick melodrama piece thats key redeeming feature is that it has a lot of heart. I liked it.

Twin Town - Two mental fuckin' twins who ain't twins zip around Swansea in stolen cars off their tits on glue while certain elements in the town work at putting them in their place. Probably the best film I've seen in the last ten years and it was reccomended by someone off of here, cheers Spunko :)

Going to see Chappie with the lady tonight. A little more interested in seeing The Gunman, but she's seen Chappie and wants to see it again so.

It was a downright mess that obviously didn't take itself too seriously, but the character Chappie himself is what draws me into thinking I did like it, and would watch it again.

Lockdown

Three friends get wrongfully arrested and end up in nick, one of thems a bit of a badman plus he has mates in there so he does alright, the other ones a strong minded athelete type guy and the third one gets bummed basically :lol: Suprisingly good film, once i saw it was made under the auspices of No Limit Records my 'piece of shit' alarm went off but it suprised me.

Just watched Whiplash. Fucking amazing. I wouldn't have been disappointed if it had won Picture Of The Year either (Though I did still like Birdman and Grand Budapest a little more). JK Simmons absolutely deserved Best Supporting Actor.

Narc - Ray Liotta and Jason Patric, two cops investigate the murder of an undercover, good solid, dark cop movie. Not a world changer or anything and the end is kinda predictable but still, good solid movie

Boulevard Nights - A young mexican ex gang member tries to keep his younger brother in line, set in East LA, one of those classic Mexican American staples like American Me, Blood in Blood Out etc although a bit more glossy in ways than the aforementioned.

While We're Young - Baumbach goes mainstream (enough). As likeable and amusing as the trailer suggests.

Danny Collins - While wildly unconvincing as a singer (let alone a popular one), Pacino is as good (or at least as endearing) here as he has been in eons. Film is sweet, middle-aged, middle of the road dross, and agreeably self-aware about it.

The Kidnapping of Michel Houlleubecq - Ridiculous and sublime.

Accidental Love - I suspect that if the project formerly known as Nailed hadn't run out of money, David O. Russell would've aborted it anyway. While there are flashes of his brilliance (most obviously in the performances), no matter how much slack you cut it due to it's history, it's impossible to imagine it working under any circumstances whatsoever. That said, it has some minimal charm and is on multiple fronts a fascinating and curious chapter in modern cinema history.

- legitimately novel and often stunning genre bender (imagine Before Sunrise with a B-movie monster plot and you get the drift).

- possibly a masterpiece, certainly an extraordinary and uncomprimising cinematic experience (for better and worse, I had to walk out two or three times during the dog fighting passage).

Edited by Angelica