What are you watching? a.k.a. Film Thread v 2.0

A Most Violent Year. I really like it so far.

I liked it, slow pacing, though. The ending is a bit, I don't know what should I say, weird? ambiguous? It kind of let me "what? that's it?" Maybe I need to watch it again, but overall a great movie.

Watched the original Planet of the Apes series. The only clanger of the bunch is the second one, Beneath. It stinks to high heaven. I would go: 1, 3 (Escape), 4 (Conquest), 5 (Battle), 2 (Beneath).

Edited by DieselDaisy

Watched the first Star Wars the other night, somehow I'd only ever skimmed over it despite knowing for years exactly what happens but now I take it in and appreciate it fully and goddamn it's fucking flawless, every single second... apart from the sudden transition to the death star run, I would've liked a little more of build up leading up to that, the pacing is hellaciously good and each character has a perfect amount of screen time, chemistry and dialogue. Pure joy to watch, just little flashes of genius like Luke's changing expression as Kenobi uses the force to confuse the guards at the Mos Eisley checkpoint.

I like the original, but think ESB is better by far (not much of a fan of ROTJ). The editors really saved the original Star Wars, though, including his then-wife Marcia Lucas, this is a great read: http://web.archive.org/web/20141011081743/http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

If you see the deleted scenes from the original and read about the original boring and convoluted script drafts more concerned with mythos than character, the drop in quality by the prequels comes as much less of a shock.

Watched the original Planet of the Apes series. The only clanger of the bunch is the second one, Beneath. It stinks to high heaven. I would go: 1, 3 (Escape), 4 (Conquest), 5 (Battle), 2 (Beneath).

I preferred Beneath to Escape, I just found Escape laughable (and not in a good way). Conquest is great, also worth checking out the original ending online.

Dawn is my favourite of the series, followed by Rise.

Watched the first Star Wars the other night, somehow I'd only ever skimmed over it despite knowing for years exactly what happens but now I take it in and appreciate it fully and goddamn it's fucking flawless, every single second... apart from the sudden transition to the death star run, I would've liked a little more of build up leading up to that, the pacing is hellaciously good and each character has a perfect amount of screen time, chemistry and dialogue. Pure joy to watch, just little flashes of genius like Luke's changing expression as Kenobi uses the force to confuse the guards at the Mos Eisley checkpoint.

I like the original, but think ESB is better by far (not much of a fan of ROTJ). The editors really saved the original Star Wars, though, including his then-wife Marcia Lucas, this is a great read: http://web.archive.org/web/20141011081743/http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

If you see the deleted scenes from the original and read about the original boring and convoluted script drafts more concerned with mythos than character, the drop in quality by the prequels comes as much less of a shock.

The first Star Wars is literally one of the worst films I've ever seen. On three seperate occasions I've tried to sit down and watch it, one of them was in a classroom and it just doesn't hold my attention, it's literally the most boring naff film I've ever laid my eyes on, it's so thoroughly disinteresting and almost impossible to like...develop any kind of affection or care for the characters or what they are doing. After the first half hour i just tend to lose track of whats going on, it just doesn't hold my attention.

Seen bits of the others as a kid over the many christmases of my childhood when they was on the telly and my sister was watching em, just fucking dreadful film.

Edited by Len B'stard

The first Star Wars is literally one of the worst films I've ever seen. On three seperate occasions I've tried to sit down and watch it, one of them was in a classroom and it just doesn't hold my attention, it's literally the most boring naff film I've ever laid my eyes on, it's so thoroughly disinteresting and almost impossible to like...develop any kind of affection or care for the characters or what they are doing. After the first half hour i just tend to lose track of whats going on, it just doesn't hold my attention.

Seen bits of the others as a kid over the many christmases of my childhood when they was on the telly and my sister was watching em, just fucking dreadful film.

It's pretty shitty isn't it? I like it anyway. Appeals to my dark side.

I preferred Beneath to Escape, I just found Escape laughable (and not in a good way). Conquest is great, also worth checking out the original ending online.

Dawn is my favourite of the series, followed by Rise.

You have to like the first one for that ending - and Nova and her skimpy outfit. That surely has to be top. Beneath is a horror show. When those chaps turn up with the silly masks, and silly pseudo-religion, you realise there is no script in place whatsoever. Escape is '70s kitsch.

I watched the 3rd Nolan Batman. Quite good. Bane and his public school accent and manners. Also watched Django Unchained. Decent.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Play Dirty - Michael Caine leads a bunch of misfits on a mission to destroy fuel supplies in Africa during WW2, well made war film with an anti-war message that, for once, doesn't pound you over the head. Good film.

Mona Lisa - Bob Hoskins plays a fella fresh out of nick who ends up getting a job driving this high class call girl around London, he ends up getting embroiled in her world and helping her find a friend who she had who was also on the game that came up missing. Michael Caine plays their boss.

Cider House Rules - Spidey-Man plays a little orphan in an orphanage who kinda grows up there and he's a sheltered fella who ends up being really good at being a surgeon cuz he learns off Michael Caine who runs the gaff. Anyway, he ends up leaving and finding love and...life and...oscar nominations and...ugh, etc. Nah, really like it actually.

Pulp - Michael Caine, 1972

A hilairious movie, narrated as a sort of weird pulp (hence the title) novel in which dear ol' Mike plays a writer of pulp fiction who is commisioned to write the biography of a fading or faded actor of the silverscreen from yesteryear, brilliantly played by Mickey Rooney. Al Lettieri (Salazzo in The Godfather, he's also in The Getaway and Mr Majestyk, you know who i mean, big fucker) is also in it. It's a really good film, sort of ahead of it's time, really well written and directed by Mike Hodges, the gentleman who gave us Get Carter, Morons from Outer Space, A Prayer for the Dying etc. It's also i believe the last time Lizabeth Scott appeared on screen. Brilliant film though.

Afflicted (2013)

It was alright, cool vampire movie where no one mentioned the word 'vampire'

It's like the clues were blatant as the character transformed... Burns up in the sun/drinks human blood/super human strength... But no one mentioned the word vampire, instead at one point in this picture, the guy who should have run long long ago was gassed up and documenting these vampire-like changes... I just deduce that in that universe where vampires are real; No one's heard of them in popular culture or anything, because it didn't occur to anyone at any point to think 'vampire'.

I liked it, was a watchable film.

I watched Air Force One the other day, god only knows why, it was mindlessly entertaining, illogical action movie fodder and had Harrison Ford as the one man army president taking back his plane and Gary Oldman as the terrorist (fucking lol), it was too absurd a concept to dismiss.

Watched one of my faves again the other night, Apocalypse Now and Brando's strangely alluring laments... he watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor, surviving, that's his dream, that's his nightmares. That's all of our nightmares.