The Breaking Bad Finale Discussion Thread [SPOILERS WITHIN - UP TO FINALE]

ManetsBR

Ozymandias...

...was rated the best single episode of any show in the history of television, receiving a perfect 10 out of 10 on IMB....voted on by 17,000+

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2301451/

Someone in my training class today told me it's the first time it's ever happened....if so, congrats to the entire Breaking Bad cast, directors, writers, producers, etc!!!

Prisoners of the moment as usual... *sigh*

Can tell you about a few episodes, from a few shows (The Americans, Justified, Game Of Thrones, Deadwood, The Shield, Battlestar, LOST, Heroes, etc.) that I thought were better.

BB is kick-ass though. :)

Edited by SunnyDRE

I'm guessing that the reason why Walt got the weapon is because he's probably gonna try to kill the nazis to make sure they leave his family alone, or because they are gonna kill them all leaving Walt with the option of revenge. As far as Jesse goes... He was my favorite character but I'm pretty sure he won't make it next episode. They're gonna kill him as soon as Todd knows how to make the formula. Another possibility is Walt gets the weapon to save Jesse who's still working for the nazis, but I doubt that because the time spaces between this point on the show and the future in wich Walt has a full beard and hair are like 2-3 months apart from each other, meaning Jesse would already be dead, formula or no formula.

Either way, I believe Walt will die.

I see it the other way: the final battle will be between Walt and Jesse. If anyone is a threat to anyone, it's Jesse to Walt and Walt to Uncle Jack and his group. The handshake between Jack and Walt seems to indicate that the white power group has no beef with Walt, but I'm sure Walt isn't as amicable to that agreement. With Walt telling Jesse that he watched Jane die (and the fact that Walt approved Jesse's assassination - along with Todd's intention to torture), if Jesse gets free the first thing he's going to do is go after Walt (possibly through his family). Why would Walt save Jesse at this point? He wants him dead. He stopped being "family" when he sold him out to Hank.

The final episode will pit Walt against Jesse, err, that's my prediction. Happy to come back and admit I'm wrong if that's the case, just don't see the show ending with Walt going up against a group of characters that were only introduced last season.

@Downzy

Enjoying your posts in this thread.

Haven't heard anyone mention this, but in the last episode Walt mentions to Skylar about "crossing him/don't care if its family"?

He seemed to mean it.

Maybe Walt kills Skylar?

Saw a decent theory on another board.

Not a chance...that entire speech was staged because Walt knew the police were listening.

• Like 1

@Downzy

Haven't heard anyone mention this, but in the last episode Walt mentions to Skylar about "crossing him/don't care if its family"?

He seemed to mean it.

Maybe Walt kills Skylar?

Not a chance...that entire speech was staged because Walt knew the police were listening.

Oh yeah I got that, but I think there was a bit of honesty there.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Possibly speaking subconsciously about Jesse...and maybe to the point in letting Skylar know that he was taking care of any loose ends, including "family" (Jesse, Hank, etc). but not her and their son...

On a side note, saw this on reddit, thought it was creative:

lYSYnNN.jpg

The final episode will pit Walt against Jesse, err, that's my prediction. Happy to come back and admit I'm wrong if that's the case, just don't see the show ending with Walt going up against a group of characters that were only introduced last season.

I think so too...and I have a feeling that Jesse is going to get the worse of it....everyone seems to forget that this was all his idea and doing from the beginning....and Gilligan is a big believer in karma...;)

Edited by Kasanova King

Ozymandias...

...was rated the best single episode of any show in the history of television, receiving a perfect 10 out of 10 on IMB....voted on by 17,000+

Someone in my training class today told me it's the first time it's ever happened....if so, congrats to the entire Breaking Bad cast, directors, writers, producers, etc!!!

Can tell you about a few episodes, from a few shows (The Americans, Justified, Game Of Thrones, Deadwood, The Shield, Battlestar, LOST, Heroes, etc.) that I thought were better.

Only episode I can think of off that list of shows that could possibly be equal would be the Red Wedding episode from GOT, and maybe one or two from Deadwood. Even then, those could be considered prisoners of the moment.

• Like 1

Possibly speaking subconsciously about Jesse...and maybe to the point in letting Skylar know that he was taking care of any loose ends, including "family" (Jesse, Hank, etc). but not her and their son...

On a side note, saw this on reddit, thought it was creative:

lYSYnNN.jpg

I think so too...and I have a feeling that Jesse is going to get the worse of it....everyone seems to forget that this was all his idea and doing from the beginning....and Gilligan is a big believer in karma... ;)

Really? 'Cause that's not how I remember it. Seemed to be that Walt initiated the business and pushed it to the nth degree. Jesse continually tried to walk away from the business over the past five seasons only to be manipulated by Walt in order to keep him around. It was Jesse that tried several times to get Walt out of the meth business. You're right that Gilligan is a firm believer in karma, but I don't think it's Jesse who is going to get the biggest karmic kick in the groin. People here lament how Jesse ratted out Walt, but he was simply attempting to find redemption in what he thought at the time was the right thing to do. And to a certain extent, who could blame him considering the amount of manipulation he's faced by the hands of Walt/Heisenberg.

Walt has already been outsmarted by Hank. Where Jesse (and to a certain extent Hank) erred was not realizing - or forgetting - how truly dangerous Walt can be when he feels like his back is against the wall. I don't think Jesse will make that mistake again. If he escapes in the next episode (which I assume he will - what a terrible, lame, and boring ending to Jesse as a character if he were simply murdered off by Todd and his crew once Jesse teaches Todd how to cook meth properly), he'll be out for pure vengeance.

What I find interesting by having Jesse cook again is the cyclical nature Jesse has with his captors when it comes to the meth business. For several years Walt was able to essential imprison Jesse mentally and ensuring a meth cook partner. Now, his imprisonment is being physically manifested by individuals with far less intelligence than Walt. Jesse's been a ticking time bomb since the beginning of this half season; the next few episodes will be him going off.

Again, I could be wrong, but I think you're a little off on your stance that this has all been Jesse's fault. Apparently Jesse hasn't been the only one manipulated by Heisenberg :P

Edited by downzy

@Downzy

He seemed to mean it.

Maybe Walt kills Skylar?

Thanks Sunny...

As for your point about Walt's remark to Skylar, I initially saw it as a threat until I saw him crying. As others have pointed out, I'm of the belief that this was Walt's way of saying goodbye to his family. His last act to protect them was to take all the blame; that he was calling all the shots and wanted to ensure the police wouldn't focus on Skylar (since she was going to be needed to help raise his children, one of whom he returns to her).

Walt's a smart guy (who sometimes makes dumb decisions), but if his intentions were to really kill Sklyar, I'm of the opinion he wouldn't make his intentions so well known. Why would he telemark his next move knowing that it would make the task that much harder.

Walt wants Heisenberg to take all the blame, so he becomes Heisenberg on the phone. But it kills Walt to do it, hence his cries at the end. Truly one of the most tragic moments on television I've ever seen. I was piecing things together the first time I watched it, not sure I could go back and watch it now with the understanding (right or wrong) that I now have for that scene.

Ozymandias...

Only episode I can think of off that list of shows that could possibly be equal would be the Red Wedding episode from GOT, and maybe one or two from Deadwood. Even then, those could be considered prisoners of the moment.

"The Blue Comet" from The Sopranos.

Really? 'Cause that's not how I remember it. Seemed to be that Walt initiated the business and pushed it to the nth degree. Jesse continually tried to walk away from the business over the past five seasons only to be manipulated by Walt in order to keep him around. It was Jesse that tried several times to get Walt out of the meth business. You're right that Gilligan is a firm believer in karma, but I don't think it's Jesse who is going to get the biggest karmic kick in the groin. People here lament how Jesse ratted out Walt, but he was simply attempting to find redemption in what he thought at the time was the right thing to do. And to a certain extent, who could blame him considering the amount of manipulation he's faced by the hands of Walt/Heisenberg.

Walt has already been outsmarted by Hank. Where Jesse (and to a certain extent Hank) erred was not realizing - or forgetting - how truly dangerous Walt can be when he feels like his back is against the wall. I don't think Jesse will make that mistake again. If he escapes in the next episode (which I assume he will - what a terrible, lame, and boring ending to Jesse as a character if he were simply murdered off by Todd and his crew once Jesse teaches Todd how to cook meth properly), he'll be out for pure vengeance.

What I find interesting by having Jesse cook again is the cyclical nature Jesse has with his captors when it comes to the meth business. For several years Walt was able to essential imprison Jesse mentally and ensuring a meth cook partner. Now, his imprisonment is being physically manifested by individuals with far less intelligence than Walt. Jesse's been a ticking time bomb since the beginning of this half season; the next few episodes will be him going off.

Again, I could be wrong, but I think you're a little off on your stance that this has all been Jesse's fault. Apparently Jesse hasn't been the only one manipulated by Heisenberg :P

Touche...I remembered the pilot episode incorrectly... for some reason I thought Jesse has introduced the idea... :shrugs:

If Jesse kills Walt I will be pissed. That would be the worst possible ending to this show.

Am I the only one who actually likes seeing evil Walt/Heisenberg? I love that side of him. I don't know if it's the show or how well of an actor Cranston is, but ultimately I want him to prevail at all costs. I don't care if it costs him his family as long as Walt lives.

• Like 2

I can definitely see there being a Walt/Jesse confrontation, but at this point I actually don't think that Jesse will kill Walt. I'm pretty sure Walt is going to die, but at this point I think Jesse killing him would be a little too obvious. I think Gilligan will have something stronger than that for the finale.

What an episode this past one was though. Hank has been one of my favorite characters from the beginning but I realize that was a no-win situation. Telling Jack to fuck himself was the perfect way for Hank to go. Even at the bitter end he never lost his cool. Still, the whole episode was one long emotional roller coaster. My heart broke upon Junior learning about everything, and then the struggle with the knife had me cringing because I thought for sure somebody was going to get stabbed accidentally.

The final two episodes are going to be intense.

One thing I wonder though is if Skyler will spill the beans that she's not entirely innocent. I think she realizes/understands the purpose of Walt's phone call, but at the same time I feel like the guilt of her involvement might eat at her. We shall see!

I'm guessing that the reason why Walt got the weapon is because he's probably gonna try to kill the nazis to make sure they leave his family alone, or because they are gonna kill them all leaving Walt with the option of revenge. As far as Jesse goes... He was my favorite character but I'm pretty sure he won't make it next episode. They're gonna kill him as soon as Todd knows how to make the formula. Another possibility is Walt gets the weapon to save Jesse who's still working for the nazis, but I doubt that because the time spaces between this point on the show and the future in wich Walt has a full beard and hair are like 2-3 months apart from each other, meaning Jesse would already be dead, formula or no formula.

Either way, I believe Walt will die.

I see it the other way: the final battle will be between Walt and Jesse. If anyone is a threat to anyone, it's Jesse to Walt and Walt to Uncle Jack and his group. The handshake between Jack and Walt seems to indicate that the white power group has no beef with Walt, but I'm sure Walt isn't as amicable to that agreement. With Walt telling Jesse that he watched Jane die (and the fact that Walt approved Jesse's assassination - along with Todd's intention to torture), if Jesse gets free the first thing he's going to do is go after Walt (possibly through his family). Why would Walt save Jesse at this point? He wants him dead. He stopped being "family" when he sold him out to Hank.

I agree. I believe the last episode will be a showdown between Walt and Jesse.

If Jesse kills Walt I will be pissed. That would be the worst possible ending to this show.

Am I the only one who actually likes seeing evil Walt/Heisenberg? I love that side of him. I don't know if it's the show or how well of an actor Cranston is, but ultimately I want him to prevail at all costs. I don't care if it costs him his family as long as Walt lives.

I think it has a lot to do with the perspective of the show. It's being told from Walt's perspective: it's his story. Now imagine the show being framed around Hank as the protagonist or main focus. Do you really think you'd be cheering for Walt at this point (or ever)?

This issue of perspective made me think of The Wire. It's being told from the cops perspective, so you hope that guys like Barksdale and his crew fall. Or, conversely, think of the show Weeds and how the main protagonist is a drug dealer you root for. It's how the show sets up which characters the viewer ultimately identifies with in the end that likely affects our loyalties. Walt isn't necessarily pure evil, but he's not exactly innocent either. Told from a different perspective many people's loyalties would like be dramatically different. We want the story to continue (since it's such a damn good one) and we've identified with Walt for the past six years, so naturally we want Walt to survive and thrive. But this show ain't nothing but a tragedy; a modern day western with a guy who plays by his own rules. What's not to love from an entertainment stand point?

AMC just announced that the last two episodes are gonna have extra 15 minutes each!

More half an hour of Breaking Bad, YEAH!

75 minutes air time. That doesn't mean 15 more minutes of content - that'll likely include one more commercial break, so probably looking at 8-10 more minutes of content.