Lady Gaga - ARTPOP

Black Sabbath

Is it common for guys to listen to Lady Gaga? Seems strange to me. I don't remember guys talking about and buying Madonna albums in the 90's.

I think some of the barriers have been broken down a little bit when it comes to enjoying music. Generalizing a bit here, but I think because of the whole hipster phase, people are more apt to be contrary with their opinions and proud of it.

I'm not saying guys who like Lady Gaga are being contrary - I like her myself. But that confidence in being more vocal about enjoying stuff that, as you point out, maybe 20 years ago or so many guys would have felt less masculine admitting they enjoy, is rooted in the digital age and cultural trends. There's a lot of hipster outlets like Pitchfork who will randomly throw in completely mainstream pop songs in their otherwise indie-centric best-of lists, and it's that kind of thing that has gotten more manly men to crawl out of the woodwork and admit that catchy music is catchy music and admitting you enjoy a female pop act isn't emasculating.

I think that's also why more dudes nowadays openly embrace guys like Justin Timberlake, and even the Backstreet Boys and other pop boy acts. I remember when I was a kid and NSync/Backstreet Boys were around, if you admitted to enjoying their music, you were mocked. But everybody loves JT now, his fanbase is probably equally split between guys and girls. Part of that has to do with him evolving as an artist, but part of that also has to do with people just not really giving a shit anymore about whether something is perceived a certain way.

Very, very disappointing. It lacks the experimentation of Born This Way and the catchyness/pop appeal of The Fame Monster.

I would say it actually overindulges in experimentation. With this album she's experimenting for the sake of 'shock value'; rather than the experimentation being purposeful.

Is it common for guys to listen to Lady Gaga? Seems strange to me. I don't remember guys talking about and buying Madonna albums in the 90's.

I think some of the barriers have been broken down a little bit when it comes to enjoying music. Generalizing a bit here, but I think because of the whole hipster phase, people are more apt to be contrary with their opinions and proud of it.

I'm not saying guys who like Lady Gaga are being contrary - I like her myself. But that confidence in being more vocal about enjoying stuff that, as you point out, maybe 20 years ago or so many guys would have felt less masculine admitting they enjoy, is rooted in the digital age and cultural trends. There's a lot of hipster outlets like Pitchfork who will randomly throw in completely mainstream pop songs in their otherwise indie-centric best-of lists, and it's that kind of thing that has gotten more manly men to crawl out of the woodwork and admit that catchy music is catchy music and admitting you enjoy a female pop act isn't emasculating.

I think that's also why more dudes nowadays openly embrace guys like Justin Timberlake, and even the Backstreet Boys and other pop boy acts. I remember when I was a kid and NSync/Backstreet Boys were around, if you admitted to enjoying their music, you were mocked. But everybody loves JT now, his fanbase is probably equally split between guys and girls. Part of that has to do with him evolving as an artist, but part of that also has to do with people just not really giving a shit anymore about whether something is perceived a certain way.

Thanks for your respose. I was curious about what brought on the change. I hated the Backstreet Boys, NSync and Britney because it felt like the record companies completely abandoned what was going on at the time (electronica breaking into the mainstream with the Chemical Brothers and The Prodigy) to push that pre-manufactured pop shit.

And when I read guys in here seriously debating the artistic merits of a Lady Gaga album it reminds me of Patrick Bateman discussing Huey Lewis and Phil Collins albums.

Edited by Randy Lahey

And when I read guys in here seriously debating the artistic merits of a Lady Gaga album it reminds me of Patrick Bateman discussing Huey Lewis and Phil Collins albums.

A little bit, but I think Lewis and Collins were chosen for being notoriously "'80s" and being quite manufactured and manipulative/thematically empty? Which isn't to say they're bad musicians, but, you know...

I think Gaga actually has some substance. And talent. She's a wonderful pianist, for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aTFP8GZ-to

A little bit, but I think Lewis and Collins were chosen for being notoriously "'80s" and being quite manufactured and manipulative/thematically empty? Which isn't to say they're bad musicians, but, you know...

And you don't think Lady Gaga is the same?

nah, i mean, huey lewis was chosen in that book/movie because he basically just stole the sound of what was considered a "black" form of music and sold it to guys like bateman. i like lewis as much as the next guy if only for back to the future, but it's easy to see why he was singled out by patrick bateman.

gaga puts a lot of artistic nuance into her work, and when she's riffing on other artists (like her springsteen obsession on Born This Way) it's more self-aware and tongue-in-cheek.

gaga puts a lot of artistic nuance into her work, and when she's riffing on other artists (like her springsteen obsession on Born This Way) it's more self-aware and tongue-in-cheek.

And to me, that sort of sounds like Patrick Bateman talking about Phil Collins and Huey Lewis. It still blows me away that you guys have even taken the time out to listen to her albums. However, I do recognize that this is a new era. Lady Gaga is a pop culture icon, and that seems to be more important than being a musical icon.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Gaga had something going for her before her ass became the main focus of her publicity.

Lana >

Lana Del Rey is useless and so is her music.
This. All her shit just comes across as so pseudo deep made to sound grandiose with ostentatious production.

worst album i've listened to in entirety this year

Don't you give an album a couple days or weeks before you go pronouncing judgement on it?

Gods & Monsters and Cola were great tracks from Paradise, but I doubt she'll be able to drag out the schtick for another album.

The shtick being the basketcase thing? :lol: I think alot of folks started to tire of the histrionics. ... it was cool during The Fame Monster period with the meat dress and that but after that is like she took all that and injected it with steroids.

it just like fucking chill bitch you don't gotta be flinging your shit at the walls all the time. She's changed too much from the bird that released Poker Face.

• Like 1

Gods & Monsters and Cola were great tracks from Paradise, but I doubt she'll be able to drag out the schtick for another album.

The shtick being the basketcase thing? :lol: I think alot of folks started to tire of the histrionics. ... it was cool during The Fame Monster period with the meat dress and that but after that is like she took all that and injected it with steroids.

it just like fucking chill bitch you don't gotta be flinging your shit at the walls all the time. She's changed too much from the bird that released Poker Face.

I meant LDR's schtick of being little girl sultrily hungering after an older bad boy. Gaga's thing is more about being art, and I respect her for that (which is why I was bored by Born This Way). It's why I like going to modern/contemporary art galleries: I know it's all pretentious bollocks but it's different and interests me, and makes a change from seeing Christ on the cross or Saint Sebastian being shot with arrows for the millionth time (the musical equivalent being the crappy Katy Perry or Kesha pop). Edited by Amir

I meant LDR's schtick of being little girl sultrily hungering after an older bad boy. Gaga's thing is more about being art, and I respect her for that (which is why I was bored by Born This Way). It's why I like going to modern/contemporary art galleries: I know it's all pretentious bollocks but it's different and interests me, and makes a change from seeing Christ on the cross or Saint Sebastian being shot with arrows for the millionth time (the musical equivalent being the crappy Katy Perry or Kesha pop).
Ah bollocks thought you were talking about Gaga. You'd think I know her song titles what with listening to both of her albums and the Fame Monster a million times. But yeah totally agree - anyone that puts Gaga in the same basket as that other cheap crap or faux poncy shite like Lana Del Rey needs their ears checked.

How many times is Randy going to mention guys not buying Madonna albums in this thread...

On vinyl alone, I own her first album, True Blue, The Immaculate Collection, Music and Something To Remember. So I guess I'm the guy buying the Madonna albums :lol:

Lol, I've got all those and I'll raise you an MDNA. Not on vinyl though, I'm a digital download kinda guys.

What a bad album.

And I really thought after The Fame Monster that she would go on to make a lot of great music.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. She racked up so many hits and so fast, I thought she was going to be the next big thing.

How many times is Randy going to mention guys not buying Madonna albums in this thread...

Madonna is the most obvious comparison as Lady Gaga is nothing more than a second rate Madonna.

Have to agree here. She bit off of Madonna's 80's style for her early hits, now she's putting out a dance album like the modern day Madonna's Hard Candy and MDNA. It's like she's trying to be Madonna, but on an accelerated timeframe, completely skipping over the era when Madonna had class. :).

Not that I care, the new album and single covers still make me hard. :)

I hate Lady Gaga, but I'll say one thing. She undeniably has talent. I hate her shtick, I hate her attitude, I hate most of her songs. But she has talent and thats been shown on at least two occasions.

1. On the Howard Stern show: that performance of Edge Of Glory is brilliant, and I remember listening to that interview hoping she would just get the fuck out because I hate how she speaks (I don't know if the whole weird thing is really her, or just an act, but either way it annoys me). She blew me away with that performance because thats plain and simple just a good song. And she also proved she has a great voice. And of course, while that performance was excellent, she ruined the track IMO on the album by making it something poppy and dancy. It was fine the way it was in its primitive form, and in that primitive form you at least see she could have a serious career.

2. The most recent Youtube Awards thing: I missed this because I couldn't care less about pop stars, but I heard Gaga cried so I did want to see that. What I got was another very personal and good song from her (while I basically tried to look away from the screen as I was cringing looking at her). Again, she has proven she has fucking talent that she hides behind other things for some reason. I immediately went to hear the studio version of Dope which is luckily a bit better than the Edge Of Glory situation. Its still stripped down (thanks Rick Rubin) but she did add other layers like a dumb low keyboard for some reason. Once again, ruining a song by adding too much. But from the Youtube performance, you at least see the song is good and her voice is excellent.

I don't and won't follow Gaga because I can't stand most things about her and I honestly have a hard time watching her. BUT, she has at least some quality songs, and I'm sure most would be if they were done in that stripped down way where they weren't forced to be pop songs. She has talent and thats what disappoints me. If she played her music in that stripped down fashion, or just didn't make them these mega pop songs, and took away the weirdness, she could have a very serious career. She's got talent that's hiding underneath all of that persona unfortunately. Thats my take on her. I want to like her, and I have solid reasons why she is actually good. But until she actually persues what she's good at I will ignore and continue to hate her because the songs on record are never as good. She's a sad case of a pop star, because most of these guys suck and she could actually pull through if she just let the songs speak for themselves instead of shocking people.