Does Axl and Beta's attitude affect the way you listen to Guns?

stumbleine

so what I mean is,when Axl called Slash a cancer I didn't listen to CD for a while.

does your ambivalent feelings about Axl color the way you hear the music?

does his words mean the same to you as before the drought?

I try to listen without thinking about what Axl and GNR has become.

for me,GNR was more than a name.

it was an attitude,a way to see the world.

some of the songs(Breakdown)were my "fight songs".they inspired me.

sometimes I feel Axl's betrayal taints the music.

this post is IMO.in my opinion.I hope it's not deleted.

however,it's all good.peace,everyone.

Nope. At the end of the day, i don't really care who is managing the band, or who all the people are who are hanger-ons to the GnR money train. In a perfect world, we wouldn't even know the name of all those people.

The music is the most important thing.

I'll buy and listen to anything Axl releases.

• Like 1

Beta has kind of ruined Estranged for me a little bit, she's in the video so if I hear the song, which is a great song, I try not to think about that. What this band has become is almost discusting... If I'm listening to an album (the old ones I mean) I try to remember what the band was and the time it was released.

• Like 1

Nope. At the end of the day, i don't really care who is managing the band, or who all the people are who are hanger-ons to the GnR money train. In a perfect world, we wouldn't even know the name of all those people.

The music is the most important thing.

I'll buy and listen to anything Axl releases.

agreed!

Sometimes, yes. Old songs remind me of how good they were. New songs... Well, you never really hear new GnR songs unless you put them on. But when I do they make me think of how good the demo's were and wonder what the hell happened that made them so bloated. Both, old and new, make me think of what could have been. Or should have been. Maybe even what could still be. In that line of thought, Beta just seems a big obstacle. She's just very involved in the mess GnR became.

And maybe that's a very ignorant statement that'll make Axl, Beta or Fernando very angry and possibly write (twitter) posts about how we don't know anything about what's really going on. Well, who's fault is that?

• Like 1

so what I mean is,when Axl called Slash a cancer I didn't listen to CD for a while.

does your ambivalent feelings about Axl color the way you hear the music?

does his words mean the same to you as before the drought?

I try to listen without thinking about what Axl and GNR has become.

for me,GNR was more than a name.

it was an attitude,a way to see the world.

some of the songs(Breakdown)were my "fight songs".they inspired me.

this post is IMO.in my opinion.I hope it's not deleted.

however,it's all good.peace,everyone.

knowing the story of all the shit that has gone down with my beloved GNR ...and Axl in particular makes me want to snort some Ajax or sniff some industrial glue when I consider what was and what might have been. Ahh well you cant live your life sitting on the grave of WHAT USED TO BE.

You ever had a friend that pisses you off so bad that you just want to gun them in the mouth for thier ass backwards way of being? You know you love them but you also know that good old fashioned beat down would do them and thier attitude some good???? Its the same kind of beat down id love to throw at the junkies , yes men, beggers and hangers on that wedged the power , unity and cohesion out of GNR.

Well Ive felt that way every time I hear a GNR song and since about 1994 when rumours leaked out about Axls intentions. That sensation was further provoked when I saw and heard the new band..with the freak shows on guitars....As workable as the new songs may be.....its galaxys away from the real deal....and you would have to be a giant fool not to notice the difference...either that or very nieve. and Axls apparent impotence to get his gig back. Yeah im pissed that Axl lost his mojo.. it shows and more so it SOUNDs like it. I know in this life all good things must pass...but fuck the monster machine of GNR was getting its legs when it was gunned down in its prime.

At the University of OOPS I FUCKED UP Axl gets a honorary Doctorate for his choices or the lack there of.

• Like 1

To me the music and the artists that created that music are two completely different entities. I can love a song buy yet greatly dislike the artist that created that song. Just because a song or album has affected my life in a positive way and has become a part of my internal soundtrack does not mean that I will automatically and blindly love the artist that created the music. Horrible people can create wonderful art. Just because certain music helped you persevere through a difficult time in your life does not mean that the person that created the music cares about you.

In short, I will always love the music from Guns N' Roses, it helped me through many stages of my life and nothing that any of the members of the band do can change that. As a fan, I have incorporated their music into my life and now how I use that music for my personal needs is under my control. Nobody can change my love for the music, either for the worse or the better.

• Like 1

So any time you go to an art gallery, do you look at someone's painting and go "I read that the guy was a prick to his wife?"

no,I don't.

the thing is I find myself doing it a bit with Axl and GNR.

that's different than having a general attitude.

thinking about it more,it's mostly with CD songs like There was a time or Catcher.

not the original band.

the original band still shines.nothing will change that.

To me the music and the artists that created that music are two completely different entities. I can love a song buy yet greatly dislike the artist that created that song. Just because a song or album has affected my life in a positive way and has become a part of my internal soundtrack does not mean that I will automatically and blindly love the artist that created the music. Horrible people can create wonderful art. Just because certain music helped you persevere through a difficult time in your life does not mean that the person that created the music cares about you.

In short, I will always love the music from Guns N' Roses, it helped me through many stages of my life and nothing that any of the members of the band do can change that. As a fan, I have incorporated their music into my life and now how I use that music for my personal needs is under my control. Nobody can change my love for the music, either for the worse or the better.

It's funny how people associate an emotional connection to the artist of music that is important to them. This is the kind of thing I used to do a lot when I was young. If the music was great and powerful I figured the person who wrote it must be a great individual and I would become completely enamoured with them. I guess an extreme example is when a rockstar obtains god like status. Unfortunately that pretty much always sets you up for disappointment. The more you delve into who they are as a person, the more you find out they have faults and flaws like all of us and sometimes they're just outright assholes. And unfortunately when it comes to musicians they seem to be more flawed personality-wise than the rest of us.

It used to bother me, but now that I'm older I see how illogical it is to think that way. The music is the music. That's it. You can't let the drama of life complicate something like art. You just have to let it exist in its own right.

Nope. Good music is good music. It's kind of like how people refuse to listen to CD because Slash isn't on it. I couldn't careless about the "politics" or "who wrote what" side to it. As long as it is a good song then so be it.

• Like 1

Axl didn't call Slash a cancer. He said he was like a cancer, it's a figure of speech. To Axl, Slash has sort of dogged him for years.

To me though it's the feud that makes CD fascinating. Listening to Chi dem it's like Axl saying fuck you it doesn't matter if you leave. Across the record, you can interpret it like that if you want.

But no nothing about Beta or Fernando enter my mind about it, to me the whole shitstorm is set in the late 90s.

maybe on the next record...

Not really. Even in their prime I knew he was pretty much a jerk.

I rooted for Mike Tyson, despite him being a felon. I enjoy Russell Crowe's work, and he sure seems like a dick.

None of that mattered though. I still think 'Locomotive' is a tremendous song, even 20 years later. The fact Axl can be an asshole much of the time really has no bearing.

Well said. Exceptionally well said.

For me, I'd add to this that I don't feel the need to even care about whether or not an artist is a particularly good person, or somewhere else on the spectrum between sinner and saint, evil and good, or dickhead and super-nice guy. Axl may be more towards the dickhead end of the spectrum than anyone else in GN'R or most other artists I listen to. He may be more towards the middle of the spectrum than most may think. But, I'll never know either way. More importantly, i don't need to know to enjoy the art.

Ali

No no, music is music and in my opinion the way you feel about an artist shouldn't affect the way you listen to his music. Now I don't have anything against Axl, but for example I listen to Wagner's music despite all his nazi connections. I just don't care, cause that stuff has nothing to do with the music.

but say in GNR or Axl's case stuff like Madagascar, Sorry, Scraped seems to be about the old band, media etc.

When I listen to Prostitute I get really negative about ever hearing a new record. An artist with this kind of take on things is going to have a real hard time getting a record made. Maybe it was just for CD, I don't know though.

I don't know what people who aren't following this stuff hear on CD.