Why leave Adler's drums on Civil War?

zepsun

Hey Marc,

I've always wondered why the decided to leave Steve's recording of Civil War on UYI, instead or re-recording with Matt. As they were at odds with Steven, you'd think they would have cleared him off the entire record. (For the record, I love Steven and Matt).

Any insight into this?

Thanks.

There is also Heavens Door. They were done and Steven was fired because of Drugs so I think the least they could do was leave the work that he already did alone. Also both of those songs were put out early way before the record was ready.

I thought KOHD had Matt on drums?

wfuckinga:

KOHD has Matt on UYI, but the Days of Thunder KOHD has Steven.

They re-recorded with Matt for UYI, but not Civil War.. I always just thought it was a little strange.

Marc:

Matt had no writing credits on UYI - any idea of what he contributed to writing/arrangements? I'm assuming he must have helped creatively in some way. There is no way Locomotive/Coma/Estranged were already filled in by Steven.. Those songs just don't seem to be Steven's style.

Edited by zepsun

Here's the Steven version KOHD

There is no way Locomotive/Coma/Estranged were already filled in by Steven..

Actually Steven drums on Locomotive in this Rehearsal (and GOE, Don't Damn Me) Plus other UYI released songs what he performed with the band: Perfect Crime, Don't Cry, back off bitch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4nisfr1OjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnAa8C6UqOg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnAa8C6UqOg

Edited by Crash Diet

There's an interview with Matt where he says, and I'm paraphrasing, "The only time Axl really had any specific requests of my drumming was for November Rain. He said 'Give me some big Nigel Olsen fills,' which Nigel Olsen was the drummer for Elton John, so that's those big 'dum-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh' drum fills on November Rain. Other than that, he never really asked me to drum any certain way."

I'm sorry Marc and Zepsum but Steven only plays on Civil War. Matt plays drums on both versions of KOHD. I read It was just

mixed differently for the UYI albums. Listen to the drum intro. It's Matts fill. Steven always played the intro different than Matt altogether.

Edited by 31illusions

I'm guessing Adler's drums were left in as a timing issue to make sure the song was ready for the "Nobody's Child" release in July '90. Since they already had released that version, there was really no reason to re-record it.

I'm sorry Marc and Zepsum but Steven only plays on Civil War. Matt plays drums on both versions of KOHD. I read It was just

mixed differently for the UYI albums. Listen to the drum intro. It's Matts fill. Steven always played the intro different than Matt altogether.

I didn't even think matt was in the band yet when they used that song for the Days of Thunder sound track. But maybe I'm wrong

I didn't even think matt was in the band yet when they used that song for the Days of Thunder sound track. But maybe I'm wrong

adler was officially fired july 11,1990. the movie was released june 27,1990.

I see what you guys are saying. I, myself thought it was Adler for the longest time but I did notice very small subtle differences in the drums.

When I read it was mixed differently for UYI that made sense to me considering some of Axl's vocals are missing. I'm a drummer and I can tell

the drums are exactly the same, note for note in both versions. I also noticed that (to this day) Steven still does the drum intro different than Matt.

This is from Wikipedia, speaking of the Days of Thunder Soundtrack:

"The album is also notable for the inclusion of Guns N' Roses' cover of Bob Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door", a year before the song

was released with a slightly different mix (basically without the responses in the second verse) on the 1991 album Use Your Illusion II."

Adler's Appetite (Stevens POV)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GqzsgXOP-M

Edited by 31illusions

It's been argued before, but all officially released versions of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" have Matt drumming. As mentioned earlier, the mixing on the Days of Thunder version has slightly different mixing and takes out the audio clips, but is definitely Matt.

How was it Matt if Matt wasn't in the band when the film was released, and the soundtrack was done before the films release date?

It's been argued before, but all officially released versions of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" have Matt drumming. As mentioned earlier, the mixing on the Days of Thunder version has slightly different mixing and takes out the audio clips, but is definitely Matt.

How was it Matt if Matt wasn't in the band when the film was released, and the soundtrack was done before the films release date?

Maybe he was not in the band officially, but was around at the time. You can't just hire a new band member without sessions/auditions.