Axl is Guns N Roses ?

Chainsforalice

If things went the other way and Axl was the one who left GN'R while Slash and/or one or all of the rest stayed together as Guns with a new singer, Guns N' Roses would not have had the "success" they have had post '96 with Axl up front.

Side note: You can argue the definition of "success" all you want. It is beside the point.

Velvet Revolver was just as successful as Nu, and they didn't even have the GNR name to carry them, so you're completely wrong.

Velvet Revolver was a great band but they didn't get the attention or crowd sizes Guns N' Roses did.

Wow, although you just stated the obvious, it's probably the best post i've seen from you.

Slash, Duff, and Izzy signed the name over to Axl.

Oh wait, I forgot... Axl bullied them into doing so. He was such a cunning brilliant mastermind that each of them was swindled and bamboozled out of the name.

Axl runs the show. Everyone knows it. He's the President of GnR.

the word your looking for is "black mail"....as in:" If you dont give me the rights to the name in the event of a breakup I will not continue on with touring nor will I participate in any way to promote the album."..

Whaty was at stake?? : a huge headlining very lucrative tour, Album sales and merchandising promotion rights...world fame and fortune ....all held hostage to Axls desire to retain the name in the event of a band breakup...which is what he intended to do from the moment he ensued it . The key was "in the event of a breakup" so actually AXL "mr. last man standing" QUIT GNR ..thus having the legal right to the name...He had an interview where he justifys his actions dismissing the event as : My dad said never to buy a car with your best freinds and I can see why he said it.. this way some one had to take hold of the wheel... ( somebody help me find that interview...Rolling Stones?? )

In pussy ass moves hall of fame: right next to "ill take my ball and go home if you dont play by my rules!"

Then after 93 tour ended he , Axl in effect quit GNR and took the name with him and then turned around and reformed Guns and Roses with the expectation that the remaining members would be on board as hired employees IF THEY WANTED TO WORK FOR AXL! Not with Axl but FOR Axl...as in janitor, cleaning lady, Guitar player, limo driver, lawyer, pool cleaner, Bass player, accountant, Dummer, etc... you get the big picture now.

Given the nature of the post.. yes Axl is now sole kingman of GNR due to some crafty legal manouvers. People on this board love him and appreciate him for it because his new version of GNR is just so productive and avante garde.. with all his freaks and wanna be scabs doing a great job of playing Slash and Izzys material.

Edited by rockerman
  • Like 4

Oh wait, I forgot... Axl bullied them into doing so. He was such a cunning brilliant mastermind that each of them was swindled and bamboozled out of the name.

the word your looking for is "black mail"....as in:" If you dont give me the rights to the name in the event of a breakup I will not continue on with touring nor will I participate in any way to promote the album."..

Whaty was at stake?? : a huge headlining very lucrative tour, Album sales and merchandising promotion rights...world fame and fortune ....all held hostage to Axls desire to retain the name in the event of a band breakup...which is what he intended to do from the moment he ensued it . The key was "in the event of a breakup" so actually AXL "mr. last man standing" QUIT GNR ..thus having the legal right to the name...He had an interview where he justifys his actions dismissing the event as : My dad said never to buy a car with your best freinds and I can see why he said it.. this way some one had to take hold of the wheel... ( somebody help me find that interview...Rolling Stones?? )

In pussy ass moves hall of fame: right next to "ill take my ball and go home if you dont play by my rules!"

Then after 93 tour ended he , Axl in effect quit GNR and took the name with him and then turned around and reformed Guns and Roses with the expectation that the remaining members would be on board as hired employees IF THEY WANTED TO WORK FOR AXL! Not with Axl but FOR Axl...as in janitor, cleaning lady, Guitar player, limo driver, lawyer, pool cleaner, Bass player, accountant, Dummer, etc... you get the big picture now.

Given the nature of the post.. yes Axl is now sole kingman of GNR due to some crafty legal manouvers. People on this board love him and appreciate him for it because his new version of GNR is just so productive and avante garde.. with all his freaks and wanna be scabs doing a great job of playing Slash and Izzys material.

Yes, yes, a million times yes!

And by the way the rolling stone interview you're looking for was from Axl's 2000 interview. It can be found on Jarmo's shit pit.

The reality they could have just joined Axl under the GNR name and carried on. They all have enough money. It doesn't effect royalties, show pay. Yes they still had to work with Axl. It's only really pure chance that the brand name GNR is useful in 2013 as a touring brand name. Back in the 90s the name was a bust late 90s.

If this was Axl's plan then he first made the worst plan ever and second he couldn't have predicted it would work out as this Tour cash cow.

They all did what they wanted. Izzy quit for an easier life. Slash wanted to do what he wanted. I think Duff wanted to be in the band but it just wasn't the same.

It's definitely weird situation, because Axl is the talent that brought us Nov Rain, Estranged almost against the bands wishes. A lot of his ideas are loved by the fans. It's like to get the magic you have compromise to Axl. You can't have Axl just a singer doing rock n roll songs and then get Estranged.

Edited by wasted

Axl has always been the voice of Guns N' Roses, so I understand why some fans believe he is Guns N' Roses. My question to you would be, do you really believe Axl acts like he is GNR?

In my opinion it is Axl's voice, not the man, that makes GNR, simply GNR. Axl's voice is a personification of the band and the music. He is the most important member and cannot be replaced. Izzy, Slash, Duff, and Steven separate or together can never be called Guns' N Roses, but Axl Rose alone can because of his voice.

Axl is Guns N' Roses, but he hasn't been acting like it for 10 years. Axl not Slash, is why fans have their doubts and question the validity of Guns present day
He fails to meet the standards that he and the old band created during their rise to fame. Chinese, I feel did meet this standard and during the earlier 2000's you could say Axl was GnR again. However, the amount of time it took to release chidem and the never ending circus, has shown Axl is not GnR. Axl has shown fans he is not Guns N' Roses and made us believe he needs the old band.

Edited by Rauschen

The reality they could have just joined Axl under the GNR name and carried on. They all have enough money. It doesn't effect royalties, show pay. Yes they still had to work with Axl. It's only really pure chance that the brand name GNR is useful in 2013 as a touring brand name. Back in the 90s the name was a bust late 90s.

So if you were the co-founder of a company that was now grossing €100M a year and the most unstable, most likely to cause mayhem guy on the team set up a company with the same name and asked you to work for him, you'd agree?

Yeah riiiight....

Edited by Intercourse

So if you were the co-founder of a company that was now grossing €100M a year and the most unstable, most likely to cause mayhem guy on the team set up a company with the same name and asked you to work for him, you'd agree?

Yeah riiiight....

If I was stupid enough to sign away my rights I'd probably be stupid enough to do that too. So yes, yes I would.

It isnt really true that Axl was the most unstable. He was the most stable until something happened. But he was carrying the band on that tour at the same time as being in therapy. The other guys either dropped out or were still hammered.

If they signed the name away under duress they could have stopped Axl using. Ultimately its not the name thats an issue. They just couldnt work together anymore. Whhether it was Slash working on Axls songs or the other way round. Just egos really.

Duff said it was more the lawyers. Axl got lawyered up and they said this is how you protect yourself. Remember Niven tried kick axl out after AFD.

As much as people complain a lot of fans loved the Axl Rose UYI era and that cant happen if hes not in control. The kind of shows they did are some of greatest in rock history. And thats basically Dougie keeping Axl happy.

Theres so many angles to it. Izzy agreed with Axl that Slash tried to take over the band. Axl just wanted to do his songs. It just so happens Nov Rain is a classic.

Both Slash, Duff, Matt were there at the start of making a record and they dropped out.

Axl has always been the voice of Guns N' Roses, so I understand why some fans believe he is Guns N' Roses. My question to you would be, do you really believe Axl acts like he is GNR?

In my opinion it is Axl's voice, not the man, that makes GNR, simply GNR. Axl's voice is a personification of the band and the music. He is the most important member and cannot be replaced. Izzy, Slash, Duff, and Steven separate or together can never be called Guns' N Roses, but Axl Rose alone can because of his voice.

Axl is Guns N' Roses, but he hasn't been acting like it for 10 years. Axl not Slash, is why fans have their doubts and question the validity of Guns present day

He fails to meet the standards that he and the old band created during their rise to fame. Chinese, I feel did meet this standard and during the earlier 2000's you could say Axl was GnR again. However, the amount of time it took to release chidem and the never ending circus, has shown Axl is not GnR. Axl has shown fans he is not Guns N' Roses and made us believe he needs the old band.

His part is essential. Arguably even the most essential. But he isn't the be all end all. Guns N' Roses was established as a collaborative band. They all had a essential hand in how the band sounded, presented itself, and operated. At least when referring to the core four of the band (Axl, Slash, Izzy, and Duff). And that's what made the '87-'91 heyday material heyday material.

Real Guns N' Roses was never The Smashing Pumpkins.

If, hypothetically, Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Matt or Steve, retained the name, who knows what could have happened? Van Halen pulled it off. It's not as impossible as some people like to believe. The name would've been plenty attractive for big time and well respected singers to invest their time into. And Contraband was the most relevant post '96 GNR record after all...

Edited by Bobbo

His part is essential. Arguably even the most essential. But he isn't the be all end all. Guns N' Roses was established as a collaborative band. They all had a essential hand in how the band sounded, presented itself, and operated. At least when referring to the core four of the band (Axl, Slash, Izzy, and Duff). And that's what made the '87-'91 heyday material heyday material.

If, hypothetically, Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Matt or Steve, retained the name, who knows what could have happened? Van Halen pulled it off. It's not as impossible as some people like to believe. The name would've been plenty attractive for big time and well respected singers to invest their time into. And Contraband was the most relevant post '96 GNR record after all...

It's also very possible and even more likely that they would have went the Skid Row route. They needed to milk what was still popular at the time with Weiland to make as small of an impact as they did with VR, and their combined solo careers are laughable at best regarding what they're drawing. Not saying that they aren't making their fans happy, just that their fans aren't impressive at all in numbers.

It's also very possible and even more likely that they would have went the Skid Row route. They needed to milk what was still popular at the time with Weiland to make as small of an impact as they did with VR, and their combined solo careers are laughable at best regarding what they're drawing. Not saying that they aren't making their fans happy, just that their fans aren't impressive at all in numbers.

I won't get into the VR argument again with you (lol), even though I strongly disagree. All I'm saying is that the initial material was much more overall liked and accepted by the masses compared to CD. If they actually had Izzy on board to at least to write and record with, and the name to milk, I'd say it's a straight up coin toss as to what could have transpired. Van Hagar or Van Halen III? We'll never know.

Yeah all of their solo careers, including Axl's, are lack appeal and generally suck. The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts; yadda, yadda...

I won't get into the VR argument again with you (lol), even though I strongly disagree. All I'm saying is that the initial material was much more overall liked and accepted by the masses compared to CD. If they actually had Izzy on board to at least to write and record with, and the name to milk, I'd say it's a straight up coin toss as to what could have transpired. Van Hagar or Van Halen III? We'll never know.

Yeah all of their solo careers, including Axl's, are lack appeal and generally suck. The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts; yadda, yadda...

I can live with that.

For me, Axl with at least 1 classic(or UYI) members in the band, is Guns N' Roses.

And the whole group of classic line up (Or UYI) without Axl, is not Guns N' Roses.

So, this band is Guns N' Roses. Why? Because he is still in guns.

D _ _ _ y R _ _ d

After seeing Corey Taylor and KOC cover Mr Brownstone while he did it amazing, the entire band lacked the stage presence axl has alone, it made it look almost boring... Without Axl GNR would of been another standard band imo partly why GNR now is still amazing, Axl needs to improve his performance though and release some new music, hopefully Corey Taylor can be the competition he needs. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TynkYM9cQik&feature=youtube_gdata&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DTynkYM9cQik%26feature%3Dyoutube_gdata

no

maybe now, when the band became a nostalgia act the answer is yes, but originally, no

Only Axl nutters thinks that GNR is only Axl

Without Axl, it isn't GNR. But the current band isn't GNR as well.

this is also true

Izzy verbally revealed that he left because of Axl's antics, demands, tardiness, cutting his percentage and making the whole band pay for breaking concert curfew. Duff and Slash have said Axl gave him an ultimatum, sign over the name or it all ends. How are you gonna twist all of this?

Izzy left because of Axl? That's rich. Axl might've been one reason, but he wasn't the only. Izzy said that he couldn't hear his guitar on stage. He also said that after Steven was shitcanned, nothing worked. So, being the supposedly consummate GnR fan you claim to be, one would think you would have a broader perspective. Such drama though. lol

As far as Axl's "ultimatum," Axl never presented the papers to them. Goldstein did. I know you don't believe Axl, but I encourage you to read the chats again. As Axl stated, if he truly forced them to sign the name over, they could've easily slayed him in court later on. I believe the term is "under duress." Look it up sometime.

Lollllll rightttttt. I'll believe that as soon as I start shitting out gold.

You just seem to have a very narrow perspective, most likely because you're harboring some pent-up resentment of Axl.

Try to broaden your scope. It's not as simple as you staunchly think it is.

So you are saying Goldstein was not instructed by Axl to present and enforce the ultimatum? That he did it on his own?

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Seriously, you must be a cupcake. No one could be so naive.

Izzy verbally revealed that he left because of Axl's antics, demands, tardiness, cutting his percentage and making the whole band pay for breaking concert curfew. Duff and Slash have said Axl gave him an ultimatum, sign over the name or it all ends. How are you gonna twist all of this?

Izzy left because of Axl? That's rich. Axl might've been one reason, but he wasn't the only. Izzy said that he couldn't hear his guitar on stage. He also said that after Steven was shitcanned, nothing worked. So, being the supposedly consummate GnR fan you claim to be, one would think you would have a broader perspective. Such drama though. lol

As far as Axl's "ultimatum," Axl never presented the papers to them. Goldstein did. I know you don't believe Axl, but I encourage you to read the chats again. As Axl stated, if he truly forced them to sign the name over, they could've easily slayed him in court later on. I believe the term is "under duress." Look it up sometime.

You just seem to have a very narrow perspective, most likely because you're harboring some pent-up resentment of Axl.

So you are saying Goldstein was not instructed by Axl to present and enforce the ultimatum? That he did it on his own?

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Seriously, you must be a cupcake. No one could be so naive.

You must not pay attention to Marc Canter then, it's his theory. Why don't you run along and tell him how naive he is. If you stop to play in traffic on your way, that's fine too.

You must not pay attention to Marc Canter then, it's his theory. Why don't you run along and tell him how naive he is. If you stop to play in traffic on your way, that's fine too.

What's the matter? Did you get turned on by John Bonham's display picture again?

xoxoxox

What's the matter? Did you get turned on by John Bonham's display picture again?

xoxoxox

How could I not. Don't be jealous, it's unbecoming of you.

xoxoxox

How could I not. Don't be jealous, it's unbecoming of you.

Oh you :)

Where did I say that Goldstein was not instructed by Axl?

Since my point seems to have eluded you, let me rephrase it: Goldstein portrayed it differently to both Axl and Slash/Duff/Izzy. Do you understand now? Get it?

And yes I know that Axl's aloofness and separation are partially to blame here.

I guess it's too much to expect for you to even attempt to think critically about an issue that has many facets.

Again, I would encourage you to re-read the Axl chats (among other things, as pointed out by another poster). I wonder if you ever actually took the time to read them in the first place.