Ultimate Classic Rock: Five "Chinese Democracy" Songs You Need to Hear Again

Guest NGOG

I love my vinyl version of CD, there is a mistake during the beginning of if the world and it skips a head a few seconds. But only a few seconds. Other than that I think it sounds awesome, better than the CD or mp3 versions. I do not agree with this assertion that the vinyl is crap. Its my preferred way to listen to it.

You struck it rich in that case. I went through over 10 copies to get a decent sounding pressing and I still have to use a micro-line stylus to get the inner tracks to sound good.

Bought it at best buy the day of the release, I guess I did get lucky.

I love my vinyl version of CD, there is a mistake during the beginning of if the world and it skips a head a few seconds. But only a few seconds. Other than that I think it sounds awesome, better than the CD or mp3 versions. I do not agree with this assertion that the vinyl is crap. Its my preferred way to listen to it.

You struck it rich in that case. I went through over 10 copies to get a decent sounding pressing and I still have to use a micro-line stylus to get the inner tracks to sound good.

My vinyl plays and sounds fine, doesn't skip at all.

Bought it at best buy the day of the release, I guess I did get lucky.

Wow, good for you, I'm actually kind of jealous haha! I bought 2 on release day, both had the smudges all over them and the inner groove distortion. Skipping was never an issue for me, but the inner groove distortion has been there on every single copy I've had. It's particularly bad on The Blues and IRS. Like I said, it plays far better with the micro line stylus (AT440ml) that I got, but it was still a giant pain in the ass lol.

my 5 favs are

1. TWAT

2. Sorry

3. This I love

4. Better

5. Catcher

I understand the hate This I love gets, it is probably Axl's "weakest" moment to date, but showing all sides is the mark of a great artisit imo. Besides is it that far of a stretch from Don't cry, november rain, and estranged? I don't think so, besides we all know Axl really likes Queen and Elton John.

Sorry is another one that I don't quite understand all the "hate". It is and has been one of my fav tracks on the album since I first heard it. I wouldn't call it "doom metal" but it does have Axl at his most "venimous". Which isn't that something we have always liked about him? It's so easy, YCBM, right next door to hell, out ta get me, etc I think sorry is definatly in that vain, lyrically. I think it is without a doubt a high light of the album.

Edited by Mike420

My Honerable Mention tracks are

1. Shackler's (It has really grown on me in the last 5 years)

2. Chinese Democracy (wttj 2, but like most sequals, not as good as the original)

3. Prostitute (This song feels the most like a Axl solo song than anything else, but it still is very good.)

4. IRS (lyrics are bland imo, but its probably the most "classic guns" sounding song on the album)

5. Maddy (good song, but seems to be trying too hard to be "epic" imo.)

MY CD Shit List

1. Street of Dreams (While I do "like" this song, I think it should have been left off the album. It's the weakest ballad on the album imo)

2. If the world (Axl trying to do D'yer Mak'er, I love Bucket's solo though)

3. Scraped (I like the chorus, but was hoping for more "rock" out of it, over produced)

4. Riad (Immigrant Song part 2, worst song on the album imo)

Nice article indeed, my picks would be:

1. Madagascar

2. There Was A Time

3. Prostitute

4. I.R.S.

5. Sorry

Bonus picks: 1999 versions of Catcher in the Rye and I.R.S., I like the raw sound especially on IRS. I totally fell in love with Catcher back in the day when fans only had this version, so that's probably why this version is still close to my heart. On the album some songs (Catcher for instance) sound a bit too over produced, but otherwise I still love CD a lot.

Edited by Judezki

Sorry is amazing, maybe it's about Slash and old band but at least you can interpret it your way compare this to Ozzy's song form first Slash album which is in nutshell stream of disgusting cheap shots at Axl. And as far as music goes it's perfect acoustic guitars, doomy chorus , amazing Buckethead solo, amazing Bumblefoot fills and great drumming. I can see why some journalist describe it as Pink Floyd meets Metallica.

And my 5 would be

1. Madagascar

2. There Was a Time

3. IRS

4. Better

5. Sorry

Edited by eye2eye

TIL isnt any cheesier than Nov Rain.

Sorry could have been the Dont Cry with a video. Then do epic vids of Catcher.

Itw was the movie tie in with Shacklers causing a commotion a week before release. Then Sorry, TIL, Catcher videos.

Edited by wasted

TIL isnt any cheesier than Nov Rain.

Sorry could have been the Dont Cry with a video. Then do epic vids of Catcher.

Itw was the movie tie in with Shacklers causing a commotion a week before release. Then Sorry, TIL, Catcher videos.

Though didn't Axl start to gravitate out of the epic videos thing? I wonder why. The UYI era huge videos are iconic and great at so many levels.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet article, but DO NOT listen to this version of it:

GNR.jpg

unless you're fully prepared to jump through plenty of hoops to do so.

What the problem with the vinyl? I just got a turntable set up and was thinking of checking it out.

I could write a book on what's wrong with the vinyl haha. The short version is that it's probably the worst example of inner groove distortion in the history of vinyl LPs.

I have two CD LP's, no problems on either...

Though didn't Axl start to gravitate out of the epic videos thing? I wonder why. The UYI era huge videos are iconic and great at so many levels.

Axl didn't move away from videos; videos moved away from Axl (and all non-pop music).

I watch old music videos from rock musicians now and they all look so cringe-worthy and silly. I don't give a shit about a "visual component" to music, because I listen to music, not watch it.

Culture has permanently shifted away from rock music as a form of pop entertainment, and videos are purely pop entertainment.

• Like 1