When did Axl start running around on stage?

sword&tulipz

• 3 weeks later...

i'll answer that, bikoz I just accidentally stumbled across this topic within the 24 hrs of me listenin to an old Axl MTV Interview

in it,
Axl said that he started runnin around the stage while opening for The Stones

he reminded himself that he ran cross country as a kid

and i guess he stopped wearin those all-leather costumes, from cowboys boots to tight pants all the way to a cowboy hat - and it pretty much made him a statue on stage - couldn't run, couldn't jump, couldn't headbang, just stood there like all those heavy metal fatsos in the audience

Anyone else think also that Axl is like Elvis in the 1970s?

you mean bloated, with a large ensemble of backing musicians, and playing Las Vegas residencies?

+ manager which resembles Elvis's manager Tom Parker (cashcrab tour) :blink:

I hope Axl doesn't have the same ending as Elvis..

Edited by gunnari

I always found that ridiculous. The snake dance was great, the running was stupid.

The running was great as the stage was huge and the people standing at the wings got to see Axl up close when he ran off to the wings.

• Like 1

The running was great when Axl was younger and the songs they played were a perfect fit. Nowadays he just do a short run from beneath the drums and out to the edge of the stage and it doesnt look too good.

I dont have any evidence, but my guess is Axl started it first and then Slash copied that. I feel he looked up to Axl back then and would try to copy/outdo him on stage

The running is awesome bc you don't get that kind of energy out artist. Even now singers just add back up dancers around them while they stand there and sing. Axl added to the music like no one else.

He made the price of admission worth it with his presence. I personally think the music dictates his actions, and the bigger stages allowed him more room to feel the music. Idk I think everyone agrees the running was amazing. It makes re-watching the old concerts great.

• Like 3

That's one of the things that made me a fan of this band. Watching a video of SCOM and seeing axl running all over stage. Him running around keeps things interesting, he did it a lot up until 2002. Then in 2006 he didn't as much. Now he walks, but barely runs.

I can't stand singers who just stand still or stay in one place. it's boring to watch them.