Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read any of the spoilers in this thread, but I may have accidentally read something elsewhere on the internet:

I never really got on the "hate Olly" bandwagon, but if he kills Jon that will immediately put him at my #1 most hated character, possibly including all TV shows I've seen.

That's just what people assume will happen. Just remember though

he was the creation of an intern.

Is that serious? Jesus H Christ.

Yes. This is from a while back in reference to episode 4.

AtariLegend, on 14 May 2015 - 01:09 AM, said:

fyi that episode was written by a guy (Dave Hill) who supposedly only got the job, because he mentioned to D & D during work on season 4 that it'd be strange for Olly after his parents get killed that he wouldn't stay at the wall. He also suggested that Olly was the one who should kill Ygritte. So they made him a writer, last weeks episode was his only sole credit.

He was an Intern during season 4.

Not quite intern, but certainly not writer:

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that kid (Olly) whose family gets massacred by the wildlings? The one who runs to Castle Black to let them know the wildlings are nearby?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, doesn't it make sense that he'd stay at Castle Black and become a Night's Watch recruit? Where else is he going to go?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if during the battle for Castle Black, he's the one who ends up killing Ygritte?' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

Edited by OmarBradley

I thought that was better than expected, minor things are minor things. I liked it more than the other episodes this season.

Don't worry Jon, always comes back :P.

Stannis though is different unless the show writers say he's dead, he's not. Jon probably get's resurrected by a certain priestess, but if Stannis is dead he's dead.

no way they miss out showing stannis being beheaded, he is alive IMO.

I think so too, but it wouldn't surprise me since they want to end this in 2 seasons.

fyi Kit is trying to convince people that he won't be back for season 6 in his latest interview,

but there's more chance of Dario=Euron, Clegane Bowl and D+D = T than Jon being done.
Edited by AtariLegend

I think so too, but it wouldn't surprise me since they want to end this in 2 seasons.

fyi Kit is trying to convince people that he won't be back for season 6 in his latest interview,

but there's more chance of Dario=Euron, Clegane Bowl and D+D = T than Jon being done.

maybe yara/asha shows up at winterfell?

I think they retconned the Iron Born ever taking Deepwood Mote ect, Stannis map with missing markers from earlier in the season and Yara sailing over land to the dreadfort. If Euron or Victarion are cast for next season like it looks they will, then I don't think they'd attack the North.

Maybe Winterfell doesn't get retaken until Rickon is brought back from Skagos with the locals? Maybe Winterfell is the first place to fall if The Other's get past the wall (doubt it).

We're forgetting Littlefinger's deal with Cerseri in the show, but it's not like he's going to lead an assault himself. All speculation.

Edited by AtariLegend

I think they retconned the Iron Born ever taking Deepwood Mote ect, Stannis map with missing markers from earlier in the season and Yara sailing over land to the dreadfort. If Euron or Victarion are cast for next season like it looks they will, then I don't think they'd attack the North.

Maybe Winterfell doesn't get retaken until Rickon is brought back from Skagos with the locals? Maybe Winterfell is the first place to fall if The Other's get past the wall (doubt it).

We're forgetting Littlefinger's deal with Cerseri in the show, but it's not like he's going to lead an assault himself. All speculation.

good points, it just seems odd that they would miss out on showing a main character die. if they did keep him alive what point would he serve? he lost the battle, lost his wife, lost his witch, lost his child/heir, lost most of if not all of his army. it just seems odd the whole way around.

I refuse to believe John is dead. He will be brought back by the Lord of Light. Plus, it is obvious that Stannis is alive. Surprised that Ellaria found a way to kill Myrcella. Clever.

I have a question, why did Daenerys take off that ring?

Skip to 4:50

Edited by AtariLegend

Yeah, weird. I'm pretty sure that Kit knows if he's still part of the cast or not. If he is, then may gave us a bit more "diplomatic" answer. :unsure:

I was talking to Dan Weiss and he said Jon is really dead. But George R.R. Martin left open the possibility the character might not be dead in the books. And then that cast salary contract story came out last year and it had your name among those receiving raises for season six and an option on a seventh. So let me ask you: Is Jon really dead?

This is my understanding of it. I had a sit-down with Dan and David, we did the Tony Soprano walk [letting an actor know they’re being whacked]. And they said, “Look, you’re gone, it’s done.” And as far as the salary thing goes, that angered me when that story came out. I don’t know where it came from, but it was inaccurate in many ways. It’s going to put questions into your head and into fans’ heads that things are not what they are. Quite honestly, I have never been told the future of things in this show, but this is the one time I have. They sat me down and said, “This is how it is.” If anything in the future is not like that, then I don’t know about it – it’s only in David and Dan and George’s heads. But I’ve been told I’m dead. I’m dead. I’m not coming back next season. So that’s all I can tell you, really.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14/game-thrones-jon-dies-interview

Yeah, weird. I'm pretty sure that Kit knows if he's still part of the cast or not. If he is, then may gave us a bit more "diplomatic" answer. :unsure:

I was talking to Dan Weiss and he said Jon is really dead. But George R.R. Martin left open the possibility the character might not be dead in the books. And then that cast salary contract story came out last year and it had your name among those receiving raises for season six and an option on a seventh. So let me ask you: Is Jon really dead?

This is my understanding of it. I had a sit-down with Dan and David, we did the Tony Soprano walk [letting an actor know they’re being whacked]. And they said, “Look, you’re gone, it’s done.” And as far as the salary thing goes, that angered me when that story came out. I don’t know where it came from, but it was inaccurate in many ways. It’s going to put questions into your head and into fans’ heads that things are not what they are. Quite honestly, I have never been told the future of things in this show, but this is the one time I have. They sat me down and said, “This is how it is.” If anything in the future is not like that, then I don’t know about it – it’s only in David and Dan and George’s heads. But I’ve been told I’m dead. I’m dead. I’m not coming back next season. So that’s all I can tell you, really.

Without going into the reasons why and the possible get out of jail cards.

George himself has intentionally avoided answering the question for the last 4 years since ADWD came out.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So why did you kill Jon Snow?

GEORGE R.R. MARTIN: Oh, you think he’s dead, do you?

Source: http://www.ew.com/article/2011/07/21/dance-with-dragons-shocking-twist-g

Edited by AtariLegend

Without going into the reasons why and the possible get out of jail cards.

George himself has intentionally avoided answering the question for the last 4 years since ADWD came out.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So why did you kill Jon Snow?

GEORGE R.R. MARTIN: Oh, you think he’s dead, do you?

Source: http://www.ew.com/article/2011/07/21/dance-with-dragons-shocking-twist-g

Here is another interview with Kit. Basically he told the same thing - that he won't be back.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/06/kit-harington-couldnt-wait-for-you-to-find-out.html

good points, it just seems odd that they would miss out on showing a main character die. if they did keep him alive what point would he serve? he lost the battle, lost his wife, lost his witch, lost his child/heir, lost most of if not all of his army. it just seems odd the whole way around.

Yeah the second it happened I said to the person next to me, "so that's inconclusive right?" Seems in the post credits discussion they heavily implied Stannis is dead...... but why not show it? They've showed every other major character death. Great great acting by Stephen Dillane again.

So now, why did Melisandre ride straight for Castle Black, even before the battle began? Does she realize Jon Snow is the "chosen one" and not Stannis? Does she ride with the intention/knowledge that he will die and needs to be brought back? Why does she just stroll in and no one questions her?

I was afraid that final scene was going to happen, but after episodes 8 and 9, I figured we might be in the clear. I don't really get it though.... if they were going to do it, why wait until 5,000 Wildlings have passed through the wall..... Jon was there only chance at maintaining peace and not being absolutely decimated..... now it's 5,000 Wildlings vs. 100 Night's Watch men........

Also Cersei's body double was dumb, talk about objectifying women......

And jeez, Arya was brutal, in a good way I guess. I do wonder though if that's realistic... that he could stay alive that long after enduring all of those chest stabs - I suppose they weren't deep, but I feel like loss of blood would have happened quite rapidly. Oh well, made for a very gruesome/entertaining scene. Interesting they went with the blindness after all.

EDIT: Also I think that's a good thought bran, that she see's Sansa at that second. But that was a long fall she and Theon had, I'd be surprised if they were unscathed.

Overall good/solid season, not as good as 4.... or 1 or 2... but better than 3 I thought.

EDIT EDIT: Talk about cliffhangers though...... I feel like this is the biggest one they've ever left us with, need next season now!!!!

Edited by OmarBradley

There are three theories I read on the net for Jon not dying, one's really silly, the others would be fine, I guess:

Jon will come back as one of the main white walkers

Jon will be revived by blood magic by the death of a Targeryen

Jon will be revived by blood magic by the death of a Baratheon

I personally think he's dead for good :lol:

Edited by Cosmo

There are three theories I read on the net for Jon not dying, one's really silly, the others would be fine, I guess:

Jon will come back as one of the main white walkers

Jon will be revived by blood magic by the death of a Targeryen

Jon will be revived by blood magic by the death of a Baratheon

I personally think he's dead for good :lol:

I think the first is less likely, but could see the other two.

Also some more thoughts:

Sort of annoying they did the Robert the Strong thing, but not Lady Stoneheart.

So did Ellaria Sand take the antidote at the last second? Why? Doran's just going to kill her.... unless she poisoned Doran as well.....