Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

Loved Obern insulting Cersei. I was jumping with joy that Bronn was to train Jaime. Any scene with that guy is gold.

I liked how in the last episode we see Janos Slynt, the former Commander of the City Watch that Tryrion ousted in season two. Was really surprised they brought back Ser Dontos. Was glad to see Stannis again, dude looks really defeated and just does not give a fuck anymore. Wonder what Mel will do with his daughter.

Glad they killed Joffery this episode, get things moving.

Agreed on all parts.

Seen lots of complaints on r/asoiaf and r/got from book readers regarding how Stannis has been handled in the series, I don't really agree with all of them but was wondering where you stood on how he has been portrayed.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems as Jack Gleeson (Joffrey) has retired as an actor. He did a magnificent job with Joffrey. Best of luck to him!

Yeah, he said that before they started shooting Season 4. Great actor. It would have been awesome to see him portray other roles in the future.

It's a ploy to make people to want to cast him.

He appearantly said it back in 2012 and it was confirmed after S04E02.

2012: http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/jack-gleeson-swaps-game-of-thrones-for-seat-of-learning-26843778.html

Yesterday: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/13/jack-gleeson-joffrey-death/

Has anyone here watched the series before reading the books? and if so did you enjoy the books more than the tv series? I've so far read up to the 4th chapter of the first book (page 30) and so far im not really impressed and unsure if its worth my while continuing. :shrugs:

Started the series last year about halfway through season 3, loved the books and enjoyed the far more as you learn so much more about their characters through inner monologues and exposition which just isn't possible in a 10 episode series. To me the books gave me a far greater understanding of the character's motivations but I enjoy both the show and the books in different ways.

• Like 1

what i like about the books is the sense of mystery in some scenes. like the purple wedding. in the show the way they shoot some scenes and show some things you basically get the whole picture in terms of who did it and with what. in the book it is a little harder since every chapter you are getting one characters thoughts and views. at the purple wedding you get tyrions perspective on all of it, so you are not seeing what margery is doing or what her grandmother is doing.

to me though as for adaptions i think you will be hard pressed to find one better than game of thrones, they do a remarkable job on a show that i thought would be impossible to do to tell you the truth.

• Like 1

Red Wedding chapter is probably the most intense in any book I've read.

yeah especially how scared catelyn was during the whole thing. one thing i do miss is the whole rob's will part involving jon, i thought that would have been great for the tv show.

So who is next in line to be King (with the assumption that Joffrry was the rightful king)? Would it be his little brother?

By the law of six of the seven kingdoms it is his younger brother, but in Dorne, Mycella is next in line.

Thanks. Is that Joffery's sister?

So who is next in line to be King (with the assumption that Joffrry was the rightful king)? Would it be his little brother?

By the law of six of the seven kingdoms it is his younger brother, but in Dorne, Mycella is next in line.

Yep, Tommen is his brother and Mycella is his sister who Tyrion sent away to Dorne in Season 2.

Yep, Tommen is his brother and Mycella is his sister who Tyrion sent away to Dorne in Season 2.
Completely forgot about that.

Completely forgot about that.

I think it did get mentioned in the episode when Oberyn was talking to Sansa and Tywin.

So this episode is kind of a game changer. Joffery is dead, Tommen is now King, and he is actually a decent kid. Mother is now Queen Regent but Tywin is the defaco ruler of Westeroes. What do you think will happen next? Keep in mind the second richest family in Westeroes is The Tryrells.

Meanwhile you have Roose and Ramsay struggling to hold The North which is still partially occupied by The Greyjoys. And Mance is marching on the Wall with a huge amry. And what do yoiu think will happen with Stannis?

Has anyone here watched the series before reading the books? and if so did you enjoy the books more than the tv series? I've so far read up to the 4th chapter of the first book (page 30) and so far im not really impressed and unsure if its worth my while continuing. :shrugs:

In january I got the idea to read the first 3 books before season 4. Got around to read the first one only (actually listened to it..) But I figured I didn't have the time to do it so I re-watched the series. What was really cool was to listen to the book and then notice more things in the show. After this season has ended I'm thinking about picking the (audio) books up again. I'm contemplating skipping book 2 and 3 though and go right to book 4. It's cheating but what the hell!

I've got so much spoiled for me on the internet and by friends, for example I knew about both the red wedding and the purple wedding before any of them had aired which sucks. I was just waiting for it to happen.

Edited by CheapJon

In january I got the idea to read the first 3 books before season 4. Got around to read the first one only (actually listened to it..) But I figured I didn't have the time to do it so I re-watched the series. What was really cool was to listen to the book and then notice more things in the show. After this season has ended I'm thinking about picking the (audio) books up again. I'm contemplating skipping book 2 and 3 though and go right to book 4. It's cheating but what the hell!

I've got so much spoiled for me on the internet and by friends, for example I knew about both the red wedding and the purple wedding before any of them had aired which sucks. I was just waiting for it to happen.

Wouldn't skip book 3 as it makes up seasons 3 and 4.

I have no knowledge about what happens, but here's my theory:

I have absolutely no idea who did what other than what's already been shown in the television series, but my bet is on the pie/bread and not the wine. I kind of feel like the whole cup thing was misdirection. Perhaps it wasn't the wine that was poisoned by the pie? Joffrey is the only one to eat from it, and there's that second or two where the camera focuses on the dead birds. Perhaps it wasn't the fault of the sword that killed all of the birds. Then again, why didn't all the birds die... Anyway, just a thought. Seems like the cup was too far for any kind of discreet move by Olenna. She did, after all, boast to Tywin Lannister about paying for the food for the wedding.

I like that, but I see a few issues with it. The fact that "The Strangler" poison is almost always delivered via a jewel makes it seem silly for them to emphasize the necklace in ep. 1, and then to have the fallen knight (I really should learn his name) tell Sansa, "lets GTFO now" if that's not how it was done. There also appeared to be a decent amount of blood on the birds making it likely that they were cut rather than asphyxiated. And then of course all of the things in this thread that have pointed to Olenna being behind this. Although it seems your theory still insinuates that Olenna was behind it. So if that's the case....

I think the biggest question (besides how she did it) is, what's her motive? I don't think it's revenge, unless there's some ASOFI lore that's not in GoT that would support revenge. If Georgy is correct, and Joffrey's brother is king, then Marjory becoming sole ruler of the Seven Kingdoms couldn't be the motive either. Political reasons? Does she want the destruction of the Seven Kingdoms so that each area could be free?

So this episode is kind of a game changer. Joffery is dead, Tommen is now King, and he is actually a decent kid. Mother is now Queen Regent but Tywin is the defaco ruler of Westeroes. What do you think will happen next? Keep in mind the second richest family in Westeroes is The Tryrells.

Meanwhile you have Roose and Ramsay struggling to hold The North which is still partially occupied by The Greyjoys. And Mance is marching on the Wall with a huge amry. And what do yoiu think will happen with Stannis?

Aren't Joffrey's siblings fairly young? Is there not a law stating that a monarch can only ascend to the throne at "x" age? Many European monarchies had that rule, and I'm pretty sure Martin based a lot of the mechanics of ASOFI off of medieval Europe.

Someone said earlier (might have been you) that Stannis really just looks like he's given up, he looks terrible. I haven't read the books, but my senses tell me that Stannis was a decent to stand-up guy before Melisandre came along. And where was Gendry? If I remember correctly from S3, she did not kill him. Really hope Stannis gets a hold of himself, it's never been clear to me exactly what's wrong with him. I mean, obviously Melisandre's presence is causing it, but is it literally a spell that she has on him, or has she just poisoned his mind with religion? Would love to see Davos (or Stannis's daughter) kill her.

Also generally curious about the guy who was supposed to marry Walder Frey's daughter, and what about Blackfish? Seems like he got away, but we haven't seen anything of him yet.

As to what will happen next, here is my (probably way off, since the show almost never goes where you think) prediction: power vacuum in King's Landing ensues, distracting everyone from the real threats (Wildlings, White Walkers, Daenerys), all hell breaks loose. Jon Snow has a major part in this, I don't know exactly what yet. It was mentioned in this thread that Bran an Theon don't really appear in this season's book, but they were in ep. 2 so maybe they'll have a part to play in this. I guess my prediction is more long term than short term.

Edited by OmarBradley

I have no knowledge about what happens, but here's my theory:

I have absolutely no idea who did what other than what's already been shown in the television series, but my bet is on the pie/bread and not the wine. I kind of feel like the whole cup thing was misdirection. Perhaps it wasn't the wine that was poisoned by the pie? Joffrey is the only one to eat from it, and there's that second or two where the camera focuses on the dead birds. Perhaps it wasn't the fault of the sword that killed all of the birds. Then again, why didn't all the birds die... Anyway, just a thought. Seems like the cup was too far for any kind of discreet move by Olenna. She did, after all, boast to Tywin Lannister about paying for the food for the wedding.

I like that, but I see a few issues with it. The fact that "The Strangler" poison is almost always delivered via a jewel makes it seem silly for them to emphasize the necklace in ep. 1, and then to have the fallen knight (I really should learn his name) tell Sansa, "lets GTFO now" if that's not how it was done. There also appeared to be a decent amount of blood on the birds making it likely that they were cut rather than asphyxiated. And then of course all of the things in this thread that have pointed to Olenna being behind this. Although it seems your theory still insinuates that Olenna was behind it. So if that's the case....

I think the biggest question (besides how she did it) is, what's her motive? I don't think it's revenge, unless there's some ASOFI lore that's not in GoT that would support revenge. If Georgy is correct, and Joffrey's brother is king, then Marjory become sole ruler of the Seven Kingdoms couldn't be the motive either. Political reasons? Does she want the destruction of the Seven Kingdoms so that each area could be free?

Aren't Joffrey's siblings fairly young? Is there not a law stating that a monarch can only ascend to the throne at "x" age? Many European monarchies had that rule, and I'm pretty sure Martin based a lot of the mechanics of ASOFI off of medieval Europe.

Someone said earlier (might have been you) that Stannis really just looks like he's given up, he looks terrible. I haven't read the books, but my senses tell me that Stannis was a decent to stand-up guy before Melisandre came along. And where was Gendry? If I remember correctly from S3, she did not kill him. Really hope Stannis gets a hold of himself, it's never been clear to me exactly what's wrong with him. I mean, obviously Melisandre's presence is causing it, but is it literally a spell that she has on him, or has she just poisoned his mind with religion? Would love to see Davos (or Stannis's daughter) kill her.

Also generally curious about the guy who was supposed to marry Walder Frey's daughter, and what about Blackfish? Seems like he got away, but we haven't seen anything of him yet.

As to what will happen next, here is my (probably way off, since the show almost never goes where you think) prediction: power vacuum in King's Landing ensues, distracting everyone from the real threats (Wildlings, White Walkers, Daenerys), all hell breaks loose. Jon Snow has a major part in this, I don't know exactly what yet. It was mentioned in this thread that Bran an Theon don't really appear in this season's book, but they were in ep. 2 so maybe they'll have a part to play in this. I guess my prediction is more long term than short term.

margery cannot become queen since her marriage to joffery was never consumated. also as for motive and all that regarding joffery. their will be more that comes out regarding his death, so you will get some resolve on this.

to answer a couple of your questions

1.i think right now tommen is 8 or 9 in the books and myrcella is 11 or 12 i believe.

2. tommen right now is the "ruler" but being so young his power is manipulated by those around him IE cersi and tywin so he really has no power until he comes of age.

3. gendry in the show is a mash up of two characters from the book one(gendry) and the other is his bastard brother edric storm. it was edric that davos saved and put in the boat, in the books gendry never leaves the brotherhood. so hard to tell which path the show will go and how they will work out not having edric in the show.

4. stannis is the one character in the show that i dislike in terms of an adaption. in the books he really isnt into the red god and really isnt attached at the hip to mellisandre. for instance in the books the guy burnt at the stake last episode for failing to get rid of his idols, was burnt in the book because he was the hand of the king to stannis and tried to make peace with the lannisters.

5. as for edmure(the one who was supposed to marry walders daughter) and the blackfish you will find out but i dont know if it will be this season,

if you feel im giving away too many spoilers im sorry i dont want to give away anything important.

Edited by bran

margery cannot become queen since her marriage to joffery was never consumated. also as for motive and all that regarding joffery. their will be more that comes out regarding his death, so you will get some resolve on this.

to answer a couple of your questions

1.i think right now tommen is 8 or 9 in the books and myrcella is 11 or 12 i believe.

2. tommen right now is the "ruler" but being so young his power is manipulated by those around him IE cersi and tywin so he really has no power until he comes of age.

3. gendry in the show is a mash up of two characters from the book one(gendry) and the other is his bastard brother edric storm. it was edric that davos saved and put in the boat, in the books gendry never leaves the brotherhood. so hard to tell which path the show will go and how they will work out not having edric in the show.

4. stannis is the one character in the show that i dislike in terms of an adaption. in the books he really isnt into the red god and really isnt attached at the hip to mellisandre. for instance in the books the guy burnt at the stake last episode for failing to get rid of his idols, was burnt in the book because he was the hand of the king to stannis and tried to make peace with the lannisters.

5. as for edmure(the one who was supposed to marry walders daughter) and the blackfish you will find out but i dont know if it will be this season,

if you feel im giving away too many spoilers im sorry i dont want to give away anything important.

Okay I thought the wedding ceremony in the big hall made it official, guess not. Tommen and Myrcella are actual Baratheons right? Or are they Jaimie's children as well? I don't remember if the show addressed that. If I had to guess, the show will take the Edric route, seems like they already have with Davos sending him away, but then why even bothering naming him Gendry?

And I think your post was very appropriate, no spoilers in my opinion.

• Like 1