Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion Thread *No Spoilers*

bran

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm half-way through the first A Dance with Dragons book, but I can't reconcile what I've read in the book to the homosexuality of Oberyn and Loras in the TV series?

Is it insinuated in the books I've read that they are 'pillow-biters'? Because I must have been lazily reading when they did.

PS. I wish they hadn't recast Daario Naharis - the replacement is fairly incompatible with the book's description.

Halfway through the second ADWD books, fuck me I've found it a challenge to get through of this one. Not sure why as the rest were a breeze, I think it has something to do with me dislike of Dany and wanting to finish reading whenever I come across one of her chapters :lol:

Ah, I was suspecting the incriminating event may come later on. No more details please! :lol:

A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings and the two Storm of Swords were extremely gripping; but I have really struggled maintaining an interest in A Feast for Crows - but especially A Dance with Dragons 1. As Totts says, the only value Danny has is her sex appeal in the TV series.

I loved not having Dany for an episode, Emilia's acting really annoys me. The same goes for Kit Harington.

Thought Alfie Allen did a great job with the small section he had in this episode, his reaction to discovering Robb's death was really well-acted. I usually like Iwan Rheon but I can't stand his portrayal of Ramsay and that whole hunting scene was very unnecessary (especially as I've since found out that it was only talked about in the books, and not 'shown' so to speak).

Jack Gleeson did an incredible job of portraying Joffrey, really spectacular. The only qualm I have with this section of the episode was Lena's (Cersei) acting, it was especially bad when compared to Jack. It seemed like a phoned in performance with reacting to Joffrey dying etc.

That scene between her and Brienne was weird and out-of-character for her.

Sophie did a good job with Sansa as she usually does, she plays her wonderfully.

I'm not sure if it's Dany or Emilia that annoys me, but either way, I agree. I generally find her scenes to be disinteresting, maybe that's because they are usually less comprehensive (from a film/what's going on on-screen perspective) than the scenes in Westeros. It seems that the producers like to exaggerate, as in your noted case of Ramsay, and the posts here talking about the promotion of homosexuality from the books to the TV series. There's a lot of gender/appearance stereotyping too that goes on in the show, which I'm starting to wonder whether or not it's taken from the books, or developed by the producers to (attempt to) bring a sense of modernity to the show vs. Martin's medieval influence. If the case is the latter, I'd GoT deserves a lot of the related flack it receives for this.

I do think Lena overacted during Joffrey's death, Nikolaj was careful to not act like a 3 year who's lost their toy.

PS. I wish they hadn't recast Daario Naharis - the replacement is fairly incompatible with the book's description.

I liked the other one better too, the new one isn't better than the old one (reference intended), but some of the other book readers here disagree with me.

Oberyn is not gay. He's bisexual.

Indeed, but wouldn't you agree that they've indicated he has a preference for men?

In two episodes? No. He likes to have fun.

But he literally declined the interests of several whores in order to grab a rentboy's crotch. And spent Joffrey's wedding trying to entice Loras - despite being sat next to his beautiful wife.

Clearly he likes to dabble, but I personally feel they've made it quite obvious that he prefers a bit of gay-action.

Oberyn is not gay. He's bisexual.

Indeed, but wouldn't you agree that they've indicated he has a preference for men?

In two episodes? No. He likes to have fun.

But he literally declined the interests of several whores in order to grab a rentboy's crotch. And spent Joffrey's wedding trying to entice Loras - despite being sat next to his beautiful wife.

Clearly he likes to dabble, but I personally feel they've made it quite obvious that he prefers a bit of gay-action.

yeah and where as in the book he was only rumored to be bi and was never proven or really gone into (from what i remember) i always thought the rumor was more to the kings landing and the high and mighty perception of dorne being some foreign and exotic place.

I hope GRRM would veto it or something. It seems like they are building up to something.

i hope so and i feel the same. they are going to have to do something to eat up time next season, i mean bran/theon are already getting into book 5 stuff, from previews dany is going into book 5 stuff eventually this season. it is going to be interesting what they do next season, especially with the winds of winter being a year or 2 away.

Really hoping they will do some Dorne stuff. To me it seems likely they will cut them.

i have the same feeling sadly, i find all the dorne stuff very interesting.

Think that is why I loved AFFC and dislike ADWD, I really enjoyed all the Dorne chapters in AFFC and then there were none :(

In the TV series, he is a homosexual who is forced to suppress his true nature somewhat, in order to retain credibility in the period he is living in.

Edited by NGOG

I just like how whenever he see's a Lannister, he insults them. He is looking for a fight. Now that Jaimie is no longer a real threat (at least for awhile) he can challenge the Lannisters. In season three, Jamie himself said there are two or three fighters that have a chance against him. Many fans speculate that one of them was Oberyn aka The Red Viper.

I just like how whenever he see's a Lannister, he insults them. He is looking for a fight. Now that Jaimie is no longer a real threat (at least for awhile) he can challenge the Lannisters. In season three, Jamie himself said there are two or three fighters that have a chance against him. Many fans speculate that one of them was Oberyn aka The Red Viper.

Season 2 Episode 8. While there has been some speculation that The Viper was one of the three fighters Jaime was referring to, on the official forum, most seem to think it was Barristan and the Clegane brothers.

Have you not read the books?

The Red Viper is killed by The Mountain while defending Tyrion at his trial.

Please don't tell me Martin ridiculously brings him back to life in the later parts of ADWD?