Michael Jackson vs Elvis

Haters Gonna Hate

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Len B'stard

As in whoose my personal favorite or whoose the bigger/greater etc fuckin' artist (cuz that seems to arise frequently around here). Either way Elvis Elvis Elvis, MJ ain't in the same league to me, on any level, aside from popularity, he's in that ballpark, maybe even more popular, i dunno and i dunno how one would quantify these things but to me it's Elvis, Elvis all day long, MJ just isn't on a level with Elvis for me. Few are in fact.

One thing I will say for MJ though, I'm not some really well travelled guy or anything but my family come from a very very remote part of the world, a place where people dunno what McDonalds and Mickey Mouse is but I'll tell ya this (and this is from way back in the 90s, when they were even more backward than they are now) kids had heard of Michael Jackson. No one had heard of Elvis, The Beatles, The Stones, any of that shit...but they'd heard of Michael Jackson. And we're talking about mountainous terrain in Kashmir here.

But yeah, on topic, fuck me, Elvis all day, all week, all year all decade any fuckin' time, unassailable in his position as the fuckin' King. If Elvis don't win this poll, i'm fuckin' leaving the forum :lol: (and we'll all play the violin for ya you smug self important bastard :lol:) Just kidding, you ain't getting rid of me like that :lol: I'll be sad though...tres sad...and kittens shall perish..

Edited by sugaraylen

No one had heard of Elvis, The Beatles, The Stones, any of that shit...but they'd heard of Michael Jackson. And we're talking about mountainous terrain in Kashmir here.

Yeah, my friend took a holiday to Gambia and they had kids doing Michael Jackson skits in the street. They'd never heard of Elvis or The Beatles either.

True fucking talent transcends borders.

Elvis and it is not even close. Elvis had one of the - if not the - greatest voices in 20th century popular music. Elvis created the very fabric of rock n' roll, (he and what Chuck was doing at Chess and Little Richard at Speciality et al). Elvis created a discography which runs from the mid 50s until 1977 and includes LPs and 7"s of extraordinary genius. Elvis performed one of the greatest rock n' roll shows ever recorded, the 68 comeback special.

Jackson has the dance steps, I will give him that. But in voice, icon status, discography he falls short of Presley. He had only two masterpieces really (OTW and Thriller) and 2-3 medicore-good albums. Elvis had far more masterpieces, far more singles and albums.

Guest Len B'stard

Agree with Dies' completely although you've got a point about the translating to younger generation bit Towelie but its kinda unfair cuz theres a greater gap between the two.

Edited by sugaraylen

Well I was not really judging it on the criteria of, relevancy for 2014, but regardless, I still disagree. Elvis still produces No 1s (‘Little Less Conversation‘). There was a whole retrospective on television before Christmas, ''Britain's favourite Elvis songs'', during which Britain voted their favourite songs and it resulted in this massive two hour show with all sorts of modern 'celebs' discussing their Elvis fixation.

Also, there has been - is - this public backclash thing with Jackson because of the colour changing plastic surgery and paedo allegations (now I am not saying Jackson was guilty!). Jackson is a figure, a little bit like Axl Rose: you are automatically on the defensive to be a fan of either guy. Elvis however is still essentially, loved - the world over. Unfortunately Jackson has become a little embarrassing because of the controversies for younger people, especially Post-Saville Gate.

Edited by DieselDaisy

MJ must be better, he's winning a MyGNR poll.

Forgive them, they do not know what they do! They do not realise that when they listen to GN'R's guitars they are essentially listening to, Scotty Moore!

There's also a public backlash against Elvis for being variously a racist (not true), a sell out, a fat joke and, worse of all in my book, a grass.

Not like Jackson!! Granted, he was made redundant, Elvis, by the 1960s hippy movement, for the army, Nixon, the shitty films, but he was not despised in the way Jackson became in the '90s. Jackson is considered, not much better than Gary Glitter, by those (and there are many) who believe the allegations. And by the way, he is a comedian's wet dream; how many Jacko 'kid-paedo' jokes have you seen on shows like 8 out of 10 cats?

Really, Elvis just got fat.

And by the way, I think Jackson was innocent on the second lawsuit and probably innocent on the first (there is always going to be a slight, question there because he paid them off).

Edited by DieselDaisy

Guest Len B'stard

I'm an Elvis fan here, firmly on the Elvis side of the conversation but lets have it right, if Jacko gets stick for being a pedo then the stick Elvis gets for his various percieved infractions is still pretty up there, if not quite as bad. i don't agree with considered on the level of Glitter either, no way man, that just ain't fair.

And Elvis is a comedians wet dream too, Bill Hicks, Eddie Murphy, these people ripped it out of Elvis. He kinda became, alongside John Wayne, in some quarters a symbol of like...the big evil white man (i always imagined him wearing a big 10 gallon white hat :lol:).

Public Enemy and their famous line 'Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant shit to me cuz he straight out racist, the sucker was simple and plain' and The Clash with 'No Elvis, Beatles or The Rolling Stones' (a blow softened somewhat admittedly by the fact that The Clash adored Elvis :lol:)

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Don't worry, it won't end too well for the Elvis fans either, the man died on the khazi with a gutful of downers and tits bigger than my mums :lol:

But musical merit though? Gotta be Elvis, all day long, Elvis is the one we all draw our wagons around, Elvis is the neucleus, you can dislike that as much as you want but, for all intents and purposes, he gave birth to youth culture and was the focal point and the archetype of it for all those who went on to take the shit off out into Space, the journey to which Elvis carried us a fair fuckin' distance towards too.

Edited by sugaraylen