Tommy comments on his temporary departure

Guest NGOG

it's a win win situation really. tommy spends some time with his old pals. duff can play his old dear songs again with axl. they'll make money. fans of both bands will love it.

it's good to see axl has grown a lot, playing with a guy who played with slash at the HoF. no words are necessary for duff, he's pure class.

one thing i found funny was people expecting duff to fuck up the CD songs. lol. 1st: basslines on CD are mediocre. 2nd: songs are a lot less complex than UYI songs, for example. duff will have no problem at all.

The rhythm section can easily screw up those songs. Duff could wind up throwing Frank off.

Duff's probably in it for some easy cash-grabbing and more importantly to promote his name on the media. Simple as that.

That doesn't mean shit, it's still going to be awesome for a large amount of people that are fans of the old band.

it's a win win situation really. tommy spends some time with his old pals. duff can play his old dear songs again with axl. they'll make money. fans of both bands will love it.

it's good to see axl has grown a lot, playing with a guy who played with slash at the HoF. no words are necessary for duff, he's pure class.

one thing i found funny was people expecting duff to fuck up the CD songs. lol. 1st: basslines on CD are mediocre. 2nd: songs are a lot less complex than UYI songs, for example. duff will have no problem at all.

Serious or not, that was a good post.

dead serious man. i always said.. if something cool happens, i'll be the first to praise it. well, something cool happened. i can't imagine how can any fan not enjoy this. maybe volcano because he hated the old band. but there's nothing negative about it. nothing world shaking, just cool.

Duff's probably in it for some easy cash-grabbing and more importantly to promote his name on the media. Simple as that.

There are a number of likely factors: It will pay, he's interested in further improving his relations with Axl, it will generate media discussion (which is integral to any sustainable career), and he'd probably just like to experience a GNR show again.

I don't think it's fair to accuse Duff of being in any way dishonorable. He's essentially pulled GNR out of a major hole.

He's not doing it for free, but he's probably not making more than Tommy would. It might have been nice if Matt was asked along just so they could dig up some more UYI cuts that they've never done. Ron's been chomping at the bit to do "Perfect Crime" for a while.

How convenient and pleasant it is for Duff to fill in for his replacement, while his replacement is playing for The Replacements

1201.gif

That joke's almost as funny now as it was when I posted a far better worded version of it two days ago.

Oh ok

You upset?

If that's the level wit you're operating at, I take it back. Best to stick with cover material.

.....Huh? You're the one getting upset for no reason :shrugs:

"The only bummer is I don't get to see one of the shows he plays, especially after playing his fucking parts for 17 years. It would be interesting to see how he plays them. There's a couple things I could use some pointers on."

Surprised nobody brought up this gem yet :P

It may legitimize the current band to you, Jarmo, Beta, Fernando and Axl, but to the rest of the world that plate cannot be swallowed.

Using your logic, if Slash set up "The REAL Guns N Roses", kept the line up stable for 5 years and any of the old band came to play with him on a tour, he'd be legitimized for calling the band The REAL Guns N Roses.

Duff is going back as an employee which is something Slash would never accept, big fucking difference and kudos to Slash for never letting go of his rightful place in the band.

So you're not just speaking for a forum population, but the entire world. :lol:

While they might underperform in the USA, I think you'll find that a lot the world are very receiving of Axl's version of GNR. Secondly, if you gauge social media, Duff temporarily returning has made many people more amenable to GNR.

Given that Slash cannot use the GNR name, there's no point considering such a possibility. :shrugs:

Exactly - you're just stating my point for me. Duff is rejoining the new partnership he initially objected to.

I'm just telling you the facts from the real world...

Those Brazilians are not there to see the EMO manchild fumble his way tru Slashs solos (while two great guitar players go to waste).

They are there for the songs and Axl.

To show how stupid your position is, lets take a simple example...

When people go to see a Sting concert, does anybody in the crowd go to watch the guitar player.??...NO.

The only differerence between Axl and Sting in this case is that Sting doesn't call himself and his backing band "The Police".

Get real son...

You dodged my point about Slash, he wouldn't bow to Axls demand that he work for him, he wanted to work with him. Fucking Kudos I say...

Duff has stated that he has played with Axl because he is so long out of GNR that he no longer cares about what happend.

In your eyes that may legitimize this line up you so desperately want to validate but to both Izzy and Duff they seem blind to any of that bullshit and have gone back and played because its 20 years since the war and they simply don't give a shit and probably use the check to buy a new car or something.

Essentially, your point about legitimizing the band is totally subjective and a little dumb, the majority of sane posters here have said as much.

Just take a knee and accept that your fandom has blinded you a little.

Anyway, even if it did "legitimize" anything Axl has done, does it suddenly make the current state of GNR ok to you? I didn't realise a cover band could mean that much to anybody.

Guest Gunns

Duff "So Slash Axl's asked me to do 5 shows in South America what you think?

slash.jpg

"our plan is starting to come to fruition"

How convenient and pleasant it is for Duff to fill in for his replacement, while his replacement is playing for The Replacements

1201.gif

That joke's almost as funny now as it was when I posted a far better worded version of it two days ago.

Oh ok

You upset?

If that's the level wit you're operating at, I take it back. Best to stick with cover material.

He must have stolen it, because he reads absolutely every single one of the posts made on the site, right?

Brilliant logic.

If Axl really wants to bury the old band and distance himself from reunion/press demands, then having Duff on board is not the right way...

i'm starting to think axl doesn't give a crap about reunion talk either. he seems to be sedated.

If Axl really wants to bury the old band and distance himself from reunion/press demands, then having Duff on board is not the right way...

i'm starting to think axl doesn't give a crap about reunion talk either. he seems to be sedated.

Honestly, I don't even see Axl anymore. I mean, the other guys, they've aged and all, but you look at them and the way they talk and the way they move, and it's still them. It kinda hit me yesterday when someone posted an old pic of Duff and Axl together. In my mind - and it's not even a conscious thing, it's just what I automatically think - Axl now and Axl from classic Guns are two completely different people.

Honestly, I don't even see Axl anymore. I mean, the other guys, they've aged and all, but you look at them and the way they talk and the way they move, and it's still them. It kinda hit me yesterday when someone posted an old pic of Duff and Axl together. In my mind - and it's not even a conscious thing, it's just what I automatically think - Axl now and Axl from classic Guns are two completely different people.

I kinda feel the same about Axl. It's like it's two different people. Sometimes, when he is on stage, you can see something of the old (young) Axl creeping in, I think, sometimes it's only a small gesture, but then I think, yes, it is Axl. But somehow in my mind, I see them as two different people as well. I particularly had it when I saw him on Kimmel. I almost didn't recognize him, I know the old interviews so well, and the difference is like day and night to me.